1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 29, 2015.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Parting Shot" March 22, 2016

Gideon Malick: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most wanted! Right now on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Parting Shot"
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    After tracking Malick to Russia, Bobby and Hunter become involved in an assassination plot.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, that was a bummer. Disavowed and being tailed. Fingers crossed Most Wanted gets picked up... and with them gone, no doubt the Secret Warriors will add more people. There's still Alisha and Eden Fesi already as possibilities.

Pity Androvich was a one and done Inhuman villain. But nice wink at Darkforce again. Wiped the floor, walls, and ceiling with Daisy and Mack.

Good to see Ellis again and displaying his political skills rather than being the guy kidnapped in IM3.

And...the rotten apple doesn't fall far from the rotten tree. Stephanie Malick.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The ending was so well done. I was expecting it to be really cheesy, but I was surprised. Kudos.

The Inhuman villain didn't have much personality, but his power was creepy. It reminded me of the manga/anime Ajin.

4. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Watchdogs" March 29, 2016

New S.H.I.E.L.D.! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Watchdogs"
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    A radical group called the Watchdogs plan to eliminate the Inhumans; Simmons makes a discovery.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

14. Watchdogs

Definitely a great episode and sort of a break from the big Inhumans-HYDRA arc but still laying some tilework down. The big plus, of course, was learning more about Mack - from Naperville, Illinois, we meet his brother (fleshed out with a lot of real world problems and issues), what his cover story was, the origin of his "Mack" nickname. I loved all the canon getting some love - the Avengers movies, Agent Carter, even Daredevil, and answering a lingering question from season one of what happened to Blake. The Lassie statue. Aw, such an awesome pay off at the end of the episode. :D As a guy who's worked on motorcycles, I did choke up at the sight of the motorcycles getting torched.

The Simmons-May sub-plot was a nice touch. With what happened last episode and well everything that happened to her the whole season, about time she takes up a gun. Something. Aw, and May really does care. Heart of gold. :) Good to know May's still certain about having to kill Andew... Another interesting sub-plot was Mack and Daisy butting heads about SHIELD's methods as superpowers are now in the mix. That look Fitz emotes when Daisy breaks the truck windows. Perfect. Also, nice timing to see Lincoln and Coulson "bond" as they check the Atlanta safe house. Course it works on a second level since it's like Dad is assessing his daughter's new boyfriend, heh.

Boy, and comes to show that SHIELD agents have the infrastructure (safe houses) and training to go solo and become bad guys. Ward is the big example. But Blake turned out to be another. Points to Blake for the clever line of insinuating SHIELD is hiding and licking its wounds in the ATCU's shadow like HYDRA did with SHIELD. I assumed the Watchdogs would be a one and done villain, but it was pleasant surprise to see they're still going to be an ongoing issue. But Oh man, Malick's got a warhead. I bet he's planning to incite global Terrigenesis as part of his master plan.

The only real negative I have about the episode is at Easterling Farms. Seems way too rookie a move at this point in the show for Daisy to assume Blake was there and to a lesser extent, not fall back. And kind of weird the DWARF didn't pick up the Blake-o-gram...

Easter eggs, references and the like
    *Nice timing with the airing of this episode with NCAA March Madness, the opening scene starts with a reporter doing the play by play of a college basketball game and mentions it being like the thriller in Clemson last year.
    *Mack mentioned his plan to ride to Baja with this brother near the end of season 2 but it didn't happen because of Jiaying killing Gonzalez at Afterlife and taking the Illiad.
    *Mack took a week off after the Siberia mission led to Bobbi and Hunter's disavowment.
    *The Watchdogs were a far right hate group from the comics
    *In the video sent to WZTM News, the Watchdog alludes to Sokovia and mentions the Avengers.
    *The news ticker mentions:
    **LA Dodgers Brady Kelly closing in on Pete Rose's MLB record for most hits
    **Gang war rages in Hell's Kitchen. (The first reference to Daredevil on AOS I believe!).
    *Daisy mentions the Battle of New York and Sokovia while briefing Coulson on the Watchdogs' history of escalating their rhetoric
    *After being gone for an episode, Lincoln returns. He was at the SHIELD facility, the Coccoon (seen earlier this season when Andrew was found out to be Lash), for his assessment.
    *Nitrameme is from the first few episodes of Agent Carter season one, one of Howard Stark's failed inventions.
    *Deathlok crippled Blake in AOS season one when he was forced to work for Centipede. He was carted off at the Hub just before HYDRA rose up and revealed themselves.
    *Drunk Ruben alludes to the Geico Gecko and Flo.
    *On the ride to Atlanta, Coulson mentions Lincoln's battles against Lash and Creel this season.
    *Simmons and Fitz stumbled upon the properties Creel's blood two episodes ago.
    *Always seems like awhile but at Easterling Farms, ICERS and a DWARF are used - staple tech since season one.
    *Blake alludes to how Coulson was revived by the GH compound after dying right before the Battle of New York.
    *Blake references the Chitauri arriving on Earth thanks in part to SHIELD's experiments with the Tesseract, being crippled by Deathlok in season one, and Ultron.
    *Naturally, Blake's question to Coulson about killing someone because of hate rings true since he killed Ward on Maveth mid-season.
    *Daisy mentions turning the Watchdog over to General Talbot, the new head of the ATCU
    *After getting an idea for one in the season two finale, Mack finally makes a shotgun axe.
    *Daisy mentions to Ruben Damage Control will clean up with mess. They were previously mentioned at the end of Iron Man 1 before the press conference and in one the tie-in Iron Man comics noting their affiliation with SHIELD. There's also a Damage Control pilot episode being worked on currently.
    *In the end credits teaser, Blake mentions Stark Industries. Since Iron Man 1, realy pesky problem with Stark Tech ending up in the hands of bad guys...

6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Spacetime" March 29, 2016

S.H.I.E.L.D.! Right now on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Spacetime"
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    After Daisy gets a horrifying glimpse of the future, the team tries to prove that fate is not fixed.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. Spacetime

Shame another Inhuman bites the dust in the episode he's introduced but it's always that irony of the one who can see the future sees his death trope. It was nice to have Raina's precognition tie into this episode as well as what Lincoln was going on about Inhumans and their powers not being random. And Daisy saw the flash forward from "Bouncing Back" -- but there's no way she's being killed off from this show.

Down to the last head and HYDRA be pretty bold just blasting police cars in Dyker Heights. Eh. But great to finally get an idea of Malick's true motivations for liberating Hive and we'll learn more next week it seems. Also, great to see why Hive brought the hand back.

Kinda anti-climactic for Garner to return like that but it'll probably pay off. Imo, the writing's on the wall, that he'll either be the Hulk of the Secret Warriors and/or will be the wild card advantage against Hive going into the season finale.

Fitz trying to explain the fourth dimension was awesome as way May's reaction. My favorite line had to be Coulson's "You're off the team" when Lincoln admitted to never seeing "Terminator" lmao. Tough to see Daisy getting whupped but the payoff was seeing Malick finally getting some pain dished on him and after Charles touched him, is freaked out about probably seeing his death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Soooo late on seeing this, but really good episode, one of my favorites this season. The pre-cog tropes were always a favorite of mine.

I really want HIVE to murder Malick already; heck, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in the vision Malick saw.

The simulations that Daisy had everyone do was amusing. Must be frustrating to be one of the punching bags, though. :p

The Terminator line was also a favorite of mine. How does one not watch Terminator?

I think I'd like it if Lash tenuously joined the team. It's possible that the serum only half-worked; he wasn't cured, but he stays in control.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Paradise Lost" April 12, 2016

If you watch on demand/Hulu, tonight is your last chance to watch the midseason premiere. New S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Paradise Lost"
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    The team hunts for information on a new enemy; Malick's secret may destroy his Hydra legacy.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

16. Paradise Lost

-Present

Finally seeing the choice on Maveth affecting Coulson. And yeah, you guys are cleaning up problems you made. And they finally start getting into Hive. Who appears to be part of Giyera (and Lucio) now -- which would explain him talking in "we's" and still having his ability in the module. Loved the battle between May and Giyera. Regular hand to hand combat, what a novelty! :p It was also nice and unexpected to learn more of Lincoln's origins.

And another tease of Hive's master plan - an agrochemical company studying a way to defend against invasive species with genetics. Hrm. But gotta agree with HYDRA. Them not being afraid has always been their weakness.

Figures Malick is going to get killed by Hive. It's a wonder he's survived this long. Nice twist that Nathaniel was one of the sacrifices to Hive. Alveus. Whatever. EDIT: One of the translations of Alveus is beehive. Ha ha. Okay.

Also pretty cool Afterlife hasn't been forgotten and still matters. Though eyeroll when James showed off the Kree orb. So going to be a Macguffin. But the history lesson, a big 'it's about time' expansion BTW, so Hive's powerset makes sense if he was engineered to lead the Inhuman army. But the tidbit of human and Inhumans teaming up to banish Hive -- definitely foreshadowing both regular and powered S.H.I.E.L.D. agents will matter in the season finale.

Thumbs down for May being dumb enough to mention where they were in front of Giyera, even if it was to create a reason for Daisy to assemble the Secret Warriors. Thumbs down for the preview to say we're getting another 'is there a mole?' arc. So far, Hive's only been around Lincoln at Transia - probably assimilated him there.

EDIT: This James character might be Hellfire/James Taylor James from the Secret Warriors comics. Though if he does go through Terrigenesis, bet they'll make him just a pyrokinetic.

So it makes a lot more sense now. There was an ideological split in HYDRA. One pursued mythology with science - as early as when they were by Red Skull in 1940s. One pursued religion with faith - led by the Malick family. It also explains why Gideon was not present among the heads last season. Those were the 'science' faction. But like Whitehall had much of an argument, chasing a story about blue men coming from the skies, heh. Though it was a nice turn to show he still wielded clout from his prison cell.

#90 Yojimbo, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I already disliked Malick anyway, but dang, what a hypocrite. His daughter didn't deserve that, though. I really do like that the writers let HIVE keep the memories of his "hosts"; it could lead to some really cool mind games against the heroes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Team" April 19, 2016

Together everyone achieves more! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "The Team"
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Agent Daisy Johnson brings the Secret Warriors together for a mission that will affect them all.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Agh, stupid elections kept cutting in my feed. -_-

But otherwise, very tense episode. Had me on the edge of my seat. And whoah, Daisy. I honestly hadn't expected her, although I'm sure some Daisy/Ward shippers will be pleased. :p

HIVE really had a good plan, though. He managed to turn the Secret Warriors against each other just like that, not to mention gave them trust issues.

Yay, Malick is finally dead. I never liked him, so I'm not sorry to see him go.

Also really liked the final scene. So that's what Daisy can really do when she isn't holding back.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

17. THE TEAM

Sigh. The feels! What a relief they kept the mole mystery contained to this episode and not dragged it out like in past seasons. Knew the 'Secret Warriors unite' advert had to be a red herring and Malick was going to be offed. Kind of a waste to get rid of Lucio. Eh.

But now Hive Daisy has the mystery orb and all of the Terrigen confiscated from the season 2 finale - about 39 crystals. Yeah, totally going to be an attempt at global Terrigenesis. A bigger version of what Jiaying was going to attempt on the Iliad.

The highlights for me were the one-on-one scenes. Powerful. Great acting. Coulson and Malick ("I've met gods. Gods bleed"). Fitz and Simmons (Lucio autopsy cracked me up). Lincoln and Hive Daisy.

I hope Malick told Coulson something useful -- and it'll play into next week probably. An ancient map. Book. Scroll. To something. A Kree lab? In any case, S.H.I.E.L.D. is gonna have to keep using Inhumans and Enhanced to stand a chance. And keep working on that Creel blood. Hmm, I bet Creel would be immune to Hive since he's only an Enhanced. They've got Carl Creel, Deathlok, Alisha, Eden Fesi, and Lash. Well, Creel at least. Deathlok, wherever the heck he is. Alisha should be recovered by now. They haven't said much about Fesi's recovery. Lash is well a wild card, even though I bet he's going to be immune to and able to kill/weaken Hive somehow -- the whole Inhuman balance theory. Worse comes to worse, they have to start recruiting more the the Afterlife Inhumans. They should still have their Theta Protocol Helicarrier guarded by the missing Koenings presumably. And Weaver is at the Iliad. But if Daisy and Hive meet up, they can probably make more Inhumans with the Terrigen and still have enough for his master plan.

15. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Singularity" April 26, 2016

Right now on ABC!

[​IMG]
    "The Singularity"
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    As Hive draws more Inhumans to his side, Fitz gets a lead that could stop the maniac forever.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

18. THE SINGULARITY

So it's only going to get worse for S.H.I.E.L.D. going into the final episodes of the season. Hive has Giyera, Daisy, Alisha, James and empowers him, has both components of the one sure fire way to kill him, has a bunch of Terrigen, has a warhead, has a lot of Malick's fortune, and has Radcliffe. And Hive bombards brains's pleasure centers with dopamine. Creepy. Plus ICERS won't work on the Hive Inhumans. And Joey, Elena, and Lincoln are sidelined. Figures. Deathlok, where art thou? Eh, they'll just bust his leg again.

About time May gets a bigger focus. "No one comes to me with their feelings." :D But yeah, the big thing was her calling him out. I mean... murder vest? Really? Though the best line had to be "But she's the closest thing to a daughter." Ooh, the feels! Coulson and Lincoln are probably the ones who'll get to Daisy somehow. Hopefully. Coulson's Shield construct was super cool.

Clever to tie transhumanism into this Inhumans arc and using Radcliffe from the Machine Teen comic series. And something as cool as wiping out HYDRA for good seems so pointless. Ugh. But all in all, this episode did a lot of great callbacks to season one, two, and the current. Global terrigenesis would have been catastrophic but recreating the experiment that made Hive? Yeesh.

Got a kick out of James' ideas almost all being existing characters

And the teaser

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Only Fitz and Simmons could try and explain romance using advanced science. :p

Really good episode; Fitz and Simmons sub-plot was actually my favorite. A lot of tension, and I just knew that HIVE would play his mind games with Simmons. Good thing she didn't fall for it.

I like James' powers/ Reminds me of Gambit. Turning anything into a bomb is a very handy technique to have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope they manage to get in a nod like when Absorbing Man first appeared on this series, but for James - a chain. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Failed Experiments" May 3, 2016

It's the last episode before Captain America: Civil War! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Failed Experiments"
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    As the threat of Hive looms, the team must come up with a decisive resolution.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

19. Failed Experiments

Geez. They are really souring Daisy. And this episode could have been 8 minutes long had Daisy remembered the GH compound sooner... so this episode was a waste of time. And to top it off, just a superficial connection to Civil War. Not like last year where they provided the location of Strucker's base and the Helicarrier. And jerked us around with HYDRA. They're eliminated. 1 week later. No wait there's three left -- nope they're melted. At least we got to see the start of Hive's origin story, some Kree, and some new S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Piper and O'Brien. May playing James was a little amusing. Also amusing, at the end, Daisy brings up Quinn -- y'know Ian Quinn the bad guy who hasn't appeared since the season one finale and has never been mentioned or referenced until this episode!

Like Mack, I was hoping part of Daisy was fighting the parasites because only one of her parents was Inhuman so she's a half-breed and -- so I was grasping at straws like Mack for a little while. And Mack, just a punching bag this half of the season. Elena kicks his butt in the opener. Then the Watchdogs. Now Daisy. Sitting through her garbage lines when she and Mack had the stand off -- Ugh. It was okay to "ruin" Ward and make him the traitor in season one. But you can't do the same to Daisy in season 3. She's burning bridges here. But at least now, it seems more they're setting up Lincoln to die than Mack. The Kree Reapers were reduced to cannon fodder to give Hive an ego boost so another wasted use of them on the show but at least we got to see their true form and connection to the Inhumans. Alisha was more the pointless death of the week.

While this is probably going to be my least favorite episode of the season, I'm looking forward to Civil War and next week's episode, which is looking to be the true-tie in -- the impact of the Sokovia Accords on Inhumans it seems.