1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x19 (85) All the Madame's Men

"The Bakshi Report with Sunil Bakshi" - the title reminded of "The Colbert Report," that had to be a nod. lol. It was a nice detail for them to remember Daisy isn't 100% after Terrigenesis like in season 2 and couldn't use her powers to the maximum then nodding to how it still felt like a hangover made of bees. The conversation between Coulson and Ward was just pure gold. Alluding to Fury, retelling the story of how he got recruited from season 1, Ward retelling his but with the different of his recruiter being Hand instead of Garrett -- brilliant writing. A bit subtle but pretty neat that Daisy and May jacked a run down Charger as a nod to Robbie Reyes and the Hellcharger. Simmons comment to Trip was so meta - "I always meant to ask you about that" - since they never revealed which Howlin' Commando Trip was related to.

So great to see the team almost completely reunited. Nice touch that Coulson stepped out in front of May and talked down Mack. Then follow up with May having deja vu about doing his tie -- she did so in season 3 because he had a hard time using his prosthetic at the time. Another great touch was this version of Trip is still the cool guy we all know and love. Him accepting Simmons' theory right away and "Come on, girl" was such a nice callback. Unexpected but it was nice to see Daisy come to terms with Ward, Framework and real world.

Didn't expect much humor given Mace's death but Daisy's line about the blonde woman gawking at them, "Maybe she's just racist. Or starstruck." was pretty awesome. :D Or the real world references with the furniture bit and Coulson using the "alternate facts" term was amusing. But the most brutal, Alistair turning on a dime and pummeling Radcliffe. Geez.

So rewarding to see Aida finally take a hit getting quaked out of the Triskelion. But tying it all together... Aida's plan to become a real person using the Framework, Fitz, knowledge of the Darkhold, Eli Morrow's tech -- brilliant stuff.

The Looking Glass was a decent curve ball. The implications are mind blowing. Totally called the possibility of evil Fitz being the next Big Bad but the idea of using that tech -- can it be used to bring back dead characters on the show like Mace, Trip, Ward, Agnes or Hope as well? Or just the main cast who're connected to the Framework?

2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Skye's line was a nice reminder that we don't see two Asian lead actresses kicking ass together very often.

The Bakshi Report was modeled after the non-cancelled O'Reilly Factor. The Colbert Report was modeled after it as well.

The furniture line was a reference to sexual harassment accusations against O'Reilly that resulted in his dismissal from Fox News.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Tonight's episode legit felt like a season finale.

Darnit, Mack! I suspected he'd stay, but man. I feel bad for Yo-Yo. :(

Still, theoretically, they could "create" a body for his daughter. And Tripp too, while they're at it; I really like the guy.

It makes sense that Fitz would be feeling a lot of guilt. In this case, keeping his memories is a curse.

Aida keeps cheating. She wants to be human - but she also gets teleportation? Talk about best of both worlds.

I still hate Radcliffe, but at least he was smart for once.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC!

[​IMG]
    "Farewell, Cruel World~"
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Daisy and Simmons race against the clock to get the team out of the Framework, but not everyone is ready to leave.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x20 (85) Farewell, Cruel World!

Wow, so 3 days in the Framework was 10 days in the real world. It'll be interesting what's going on at the Playground if Zephyr's been branded a fugitive aircraft. Guess, S.H.I.E.L.D. ain't legit again. lol.

Daisy "reuniting" with Triplett was well done. I guess it was the right call that Trip didn't ask about his AU self. I like the advice Daisy had for him taking up the mantle of the Patriot like Isaiah Bradley, Elijah Bradley or the Falcon in the comics. Triplett asking who his AU self hooked up was hilarious.

Funny, Coulson was still Coulson -- preferring to work in the shadows than be the public face. The nod to his death in Avengers was a nice surprise. Then back in the real world, did in old Aida with a scalpel. Yeesh. Eh, she deserved it. Most-times-killed character ever.

Framework Alistair died. Oh well. At least it propelled Fitz to the back door like Simmons wanted. I'm still expecting the real world Alistair to pop up sooner or later.

Poor Yo-Yo. :( But didn't think Mack would want to leave out of all of them because of Hope. I wonder how they're gonna do this. Obviously, the heart warming thing is use the Looking Glass to make her real but the cruel writers -- would after all that, HYDRA storms the Playground and she gets killed in the crossfire? Did Mack sign his own death?

Pretty nice touch for Radcliffe to redeem himself rather than that red herring earlier in the episode with Fitz offering him immortality.

Pretty clever of Aida to build a steel mill on top of the back door but Daisy's powers being the deciding factor was a nice way to bring it all together. Mack and his 'using the Bible against me' line was awesome. Dug the prevailing argument was "It's not magic, it's science" -- a major throughline in the MCU and this season especially.

Aida can teleport. That was a...unexpected. I'm guessing with Simmons and Daisy back, Davis is going to blow that SU-27 out of the sky then head to the Baltic base and save May and Coulson from Ivanov at the last second. Probably some clean up with Talbot then the season finale will be Aida and her next move. Boy, going to be weird not watching a two episode finale in one night.

6. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

New threats! Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (including Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2).

[​IMG]
    "The Return"
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    A new and deadlier enemy looms against Coulson and the team after the victory in the Framework.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Seeing Aida being so emotive is...certainly something. The scene where she blows up at Fitz was almost chilling; it works so well because, throughout the season, she's been calm and stoic (has she ever raised her voice?). Also, on top of teleportation, it seems she still has some superhuman strength, and of course, energy blasts. Yikes.

Ugh, Talbot. Just when I was warming up to him last season, he gets all annoying again. Way to cause more problems than needed.

May and Coulson had some really good banter in the first part of the episode. Loved her reaction to finding out that Coulson already had that drink.

Looks like Yo-Yo went after Mack. Surprised they went that route so late in the game, TBH. I'm wondering if that will be resolved next week or not.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x22 (87) The Return

Whew. Welcome back. Things sure got "easier" back in the real world... yeah. Talbot has branded them as terrorists again, the Playground is in shambles, Anton Ivanov has hidden his head away and seems to have master plan to copy paste the Framework onto the real world, Aida is basically an Inhuman version of Super-Skrull with abilities of past AOS characters, Elena went into the Framework -- at least Ghost Rider is back.

Man, so Aida has Gordon's teleportation, Lincoln's electricity, and Jiaying's healing it seems. Hmm, it's essentially a step above Whitehall's research in season 2 when he gained youth back from stealing Jiaying's organs. Elena was right I guess. Should have chopped her head off. Still, chilling bit of acting when Aida flipped out. Good thing Fitz didn't tell her they should be just friends. But aww, R.I.P. Agent Davis.

It was great to see a Coulson-May team up segment for awhile and they took out three LMDs on their own. Coulson using his shield was awesome. Equally amusing that Coulson was Mr. Exposition, summarizing the season in the penultimate episode. lol. May not thinking the LMD kissed Coulson and then the Haig confession, lmao. :D

I'm on the fence about Elena. I understand she loves Mack and just wanted him back safe and sound but she was overly harsh with Daisy. And going into the Framework against orders. How's she even getting out with Mack? Hate to say it but I totally muttered "Serve's you right" as I watched the end credits teaser. But I guess dangling Mack as the possible season finale death wasn't enough, they had to add in Elena, too.

Coulson's team back to being branded as fugitive terrorists. That was fast. Talbot sure jumped to conclusions but given where they left off with him in D.C. after they were caught bugging an office and the accusation of being a mole... it's a shame their alliance dissolved just like that. I guess if they can live past this and clear their names, they're getting a new base somewhere else with the Playground totally compromised. Under where the Triskelion used to be? Where S.H.I.E.L.D Academy was? A totally new location?

EDIT: Neat M.O.D.O.K. theory.

#88 Yojimbo, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  9. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

That link is incorrect.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

11. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Season finale! Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "World's End" - Season Finale
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Ghost Rider makes a surprising return; Coulson and the team work to stop Aida from ending the world.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Some mixed feelings on finale.

Some parts felt a bit rushed; there was a lot of jumping around in this episode. The Mack/Yo-Yo sub-plot was handled well, but maybe got more screentime than I had hoped for. I never liked Radcliffe, but his final scene was moving, somehow.

Wow, Robbie really cleans up the competition. He and Daisy had that really cool team-up moment. Too bad he can't stay.

Aida may now be my favorite SHIELD villain; part of me thinks her death was a bit anti-climatic, but I guess it makes sense in context. Also, smart of Fitz and Simmons to use an LMD like that.

That cafe scene was really cool. I wish we could see the team hang out like that more.

That teaser...dare I hope we get lots of outer space adventures in the next season?

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x22 (88) "World's End"

REAL WORLD

Finally, the return of the Ghost Rider. Kind of a deus ex machina in regards to being the only thing that could stop Aida but it's been seeded if you look back on the first arc and think about the Rider's powers. Nice to see Daisy and Robbie reunite. A Buffy reference to the Hell Mouth didn't hurt. Interesting exposition about the Rider and dark matter in relation to the supernatural. But Robbie talking about that 'a war that's been going on forever'... forever as in 'infinity?' + a "it's all connected" line -- foreshadowing no doubt. Cool twist that Coulson borrowed the Rider to kill Aida. Robbie's departure -- that was a sweet nod to Doctor Strange and the portal generation technique that was prevalent in that movie.

At first, it was horrifying to think Aida had about 24 different abilities -- but thank goodness the TV budget limited her to three I guess. lol. Makes sense Framework Fitz lied about that machine used on Vijay. Thought I admit, I thought the battle between Aida and Coulson/Ghost Rider was too quick and anti-climatic. I was a little bummed that Coulson and May decided to start over or that they teased us with the deaths of Talbot and Simmons only to go "psych!" on us.

And okay, so Ivanov wants to create a global fascist Inhuman hunting regime. Then trying to tell a room of government spooks to read his special book. Yeah... Not surprised Ivanov's brain wasn't found and he lives to pester on for another season.

The team sticking together was a great way to finish, opposite of last season -- as Daisy put it with her speech. Well, S.H.I.E.L.D. seems dead as disco at this point. Mace's secret about not being Inhuman is blown, their only defender Talbot is in a coma, Daisy's been framed as a S.H.I.E.L.D. Inhuman agent assassin, and Ivanov is infiltrating Russian secret service (a bit on the nose given our political climate?).

FRAMEWORK

Daisy's method of messaging Radcliffe to find Elena was hilarious. The Pac-Man reference had to have been a wink to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Played out the right way I suppose. If Elena weren't there, Mack would have still lost Hope but he wouldn't have a back door to go through. And it led back to earlier in the season when Elena was not too happy about Mack being flippant about their relationship then learned about Hope. Everything's all fixed, Mack learned his lesson and wants to settle down with Elena. Shrug. Sure.

THE UNANSWERED

The episode left us with some things unanswered. Good thing they got renewed. lol. First off, May and Coulson mention Piper HALO'd out of Zephyr between episodes. What was Agent Piper's mission? Maybe it's connected to the tac team that takes the team at the end? Coulson anticipated they would get arrested so he sent Piper to admin the back up plan to rescue them?

Second, the cryptic talk between Coulson and Robbie and about the deal made with the Rider. Maybe in season 2 I'd be mad. Eh, season 5.

Third, so this tac team that takes the team at the diner. That sonic device again. First, in Iron Man 1. Second, in AOS Season 1 when the Clairvoyant killed that guy over the phone. Now used here. Hmm.

Fourth, the end credits teaser. Sure my first reaction was "In Space?!" But after some thoughts, it could just be a red herring. Another simulated landscape like in all the black ops S.H.I.E.L.D. bases. But what if...