1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 20, 2016.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Invasion of the Life Model Decoys! (It's not as catchy.) Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Self Control"
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    As more LMDs infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D., suspicion begins to turn to paranoia among the team.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope people don't think I'm hyperboling when I say this is my favorite episode of the season.

When the LMD arc was announced, this was basically the episode I was waiting for, utilizing the plot to it's full advantage; this was SHIELD in full blast sci-fi thriller mode.

It was intense, had a bunch of well-done emotional content (the May scene near the end!), the Daisy/Mace fight scene had some really cool choreography (and it's always a pleasure seeing Daisy use her powers like that), and the acting has never been better.

On a lighter note - Daisy shipped Fitz and Simmons too. ;)

And, to top it all off, that ending. The next arc is filled to the brim with potential. So, so much they can do with this. Also...I know many people will be happy about Ward.

This break will be killer. :(

3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

So it seems like we have a Pleasant Hill situation now.

4. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Wow. Props to AOS for ramping up the creativity even if they did go back to the well and bring back Ward. All of a sudden AOS turned into a combination of The Matrix and the final season of LOST. I hope they can pull this off. This has been the best season.

By the way, I continue to be amused that the same actress plays a high-level redshirt in the DEO on Supergirl and SHIELD.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x15 (81) Self Control

Great oogly moogly.

AIDA AND ANTON

The irony of the song. Got it. Anton thought it was good music to be born to and he wanted to die but he was reborn as a new type of LMD. Aida busting out that reciprocating saw was messed up though. EDIT: Anton's fate appears to mirror Dum Dum Dugan's in the comics. Hmm.

Saw Radcliffe's end coming when Aida first mentioned a paradox. heh. Only a matter of time when creation turns on creator.

WHO'S THE LMD

Figures it turned out Fitz or Simmons was one of the four LMDs since a LMD can't mimic Inhuman abilities. Brave to Elizabeth Henstridge. Not only did she have to do the cerebral panic with Fitz tyring to figure out who was the LMD- but the acting needed to when she kills "Fitz" then later has the mental breakdown with Daisy. Amazing work on her part. She stepped up.

I like the karmic full circle that LMD May's time with S.H.I.E.L.D., learning her programming but failing, not being destroyed, LMD Coulson's choice to reactivate her -- she was the wild card all along and bungled Aida's plan. The Daisy LMD fleet was unexpected and what a mind job... the question is did they and LMD Fitz survive the explosion? It is disconcerning that only the red shirt agents and new villains have been killed off -- but with the physical danger of the Framework in play, I fear/think someone in our main cast will bite the bullet. But like it matters...

Daisy's fight with Mace -- her doing a double "Kamehameha" on LMD Mack and Coulson -- so freakin' awesome to watch. So glad they got a big action set in this episode.

As reflection noted, the actress who plays Piper doing double duty on Supergirl. lol. And when Daisy reminds the team anyone else is a robot, Piper replied, "Super." lmao. That had to be a nod.

RED PILL, BLUE PILL

I'm... not happy we're going to see HYDRA and Ward again. We just closed the book on them last season after they pretty much wore out their welcome, but I guess the crew what's them in each season no matter what they got to do. I'm not feeling it. Still, would be hilarious if somehow the Triskelion still gets destroyed in the final moments.

I suppose though it will be a chance to meet versions of characters that have been only mentioned so far like Mack's daughter Hope and his ex or maybe Fitz's father. Speaking of Fitz. Though Simmons is dead in the Framework, I bet that person Fitz helps out is a Simmons LMD he built and real Simmons occupies that one instead of the body in the grave.

But you know, I guess the crew figured out a way to pay homage to that What If? story format from the comics with the Framework. It could work but I think it may only be the first 3-4 episodes of the last arc then the final battle to take down Aida and Anton.

EDIT: More predictions I have
    -Daisy won't have her powers, in the Framework she never became Inhuman
    -Radcliffe will help Daisy and Simmons
    -Reference to a Director Pierce

#65 Yojimbo, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the new world order! Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "What If..."
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Daisy and Simmons are the only hope to save everyone in a world controlled by Hydra.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x16 (82) What If...

I'm intrigued but at the same time, bummed with the return of HYDRA and Ward as a big part of the last story arc. And yeah, a bit of a conceit that changing events in the lives of Coulson's team changes the landscape of the MCU. lol. And leads to May and Fitz going dark side.

It was nice to still learn a few new things still relevant to the real MCU like the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy for Science and Technology is revealed to be outside of Washington D.C. on the outskirts. Vijay's appearance was a nice surprise and sure revisiting stuff like intake briefing, Fury's lie detector chair, the Triskelion, Ward being a mole, Bahrain, Hydra's role in Nazi Germany, the other origin of Hydra, T.A.H.I.T.I., the hula dancer figurine, Coulson's clippings about Felix Blake, Calvin Johnson, Amy Acker's character, Lola, Quake, and It's a magical place being repeated instead of the alien map.

I do commend Henstridge for once again acting to the max in what's basically a solo episode for most of the time like when she was stranded on Maveth. And Burnell's a pretty interesting new character for a 'rogue piece of code'. And they got some got bits of humor in there like Coulson hoping Simmons isn't one of his past students, Daisy thinking Simmons might be a zombie, and Simmons thinking Hydra murdered her. It was a nice twist that Aida is posing as Madame Hydra and is manipulating Fitz into essentially protecting the Framework.

And sure, kind of cliche, but love appears to be the card to play in waking up the captured. Daisy woke Coulson. Loved that last scene, the feels! So probably Simmons will wake Fitz. Coulson will wake May. Mace and Mack are a bit of mystery there on how they'll be waken.

Loved to see they managed to get in a dedication to Bill Paxton at the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

New Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.! Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Identity and Change"
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Daisy and Simmons struggle to discover an escape route to the real world.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, I didn't comment last week? Man.

Anyway, I like how this arc is putting all the characters in awkward positions; assuming that everyone keep their memories when they return to the real world, I don't know how Fitz will be able to live with himself. It'll probably put a strain on his relationship with Simmons.

Same with Skye and May, of course. Will lead to some...interesting conversations, I'm sure.

10. reflection01

This continues a strong finish to a very strong season.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x17 (83) Identity and Change

Project T.A.H.I.T.I. plus Framework made Coulson into a conspiracy theorist who makes his own soap. Love it. :D Since in the real world, he was a geek for classic S.H.I.E.L.D. history, it's perfect that he was geeking out about having a robot hand or using phrases. But sad when Coulson was in Quinjet looking at Ward's sniper rifle then his had - a grim callback to season 3.

Makes sense Hope would turn out to be a mechanical genius like Mack. Nice touch with the Harley and Chopping Mall callbacks. I had to think about why they got nabbed. I guess since Aida knew they were in, she ordered May to bring in Mack and Hope to use as bait against Daisy. Perfect convergence of plots when Mack said Hope was innocent because she was a kid and of course with Bahrain in mind, May disagreed. But Aida didn't count on Mack joining up with the Resistance to make up for being a pawn.

It's rather amusing but if Daisy searched for Radcliffe on the first day, things might have played out differently before the drone saw Simmons in the parking lot and Aida learned they were in the Framework. But eh, hypotheticals in a virtual reality. Speaking of, real world or Framework - Simmons ended up with a black bag over her head this season. lol. Still, I wonder if Daisy will figure out how to get her powers somehow in the Framework...

Fitz' Project Looking Glass can't be anything good but since they laid it on thick - it's going to matter in the last episodes. It was gut punch when he told Madame Hydra he'd cross the universe for her and didn't remember Simmons when he saw the photo. Also when that one line of his mirrored Trump - "We will make our society great again." Ugh. Then he killed Agnes. Man. They're clearly enjoy screwing with us on if Fitz and/or Simmons is going to die this season. When we all know they'll wuss out and kill Mack but then Fitz-Simmons will be over. Maybe he'll quit S.H.I.E.L.D. and the season ends with Fitz finding his father.

Interesting that Aida took the name Ophelia. Not sure if there's a significance behind that yet. Oh but how she's twisted Fitz! Ergh, this is the point, if you didn't find a villainous streak in Aida -- this has to be it.

Loved the reveal the Inhuman Resistance was the remains of S.H.I.E.L.D., based in the Playground, and Mace is the leader. Funny he didn't care for "The Patriot" and his reaction to Coulson's "Rebel Alliance aesthetic" line. Coulson's "I made a few sketches" was a nice callback to Avengers when he told Steve he designed the new suit. Poor Billy. :( And Burrows is alive and kicking. Another great callback when Mace talked about having to steal vehicles - what Coulson had to do in season 2 in the opener.

So rewarding to have Simmons call Radcliffe on his bull. Radcliffe said Aida probably found it, but you have to wonder if his exit is still viable at this point. I'd guess Radcliffe will tell Daisy at some point in between torture sessions. A relief that we finally know the location of the Superior's secret base after what seemed like forever. The Baltic, under a drilling platform. Though totally useless info currently...

EDIT 4/12: I hope if/when Fitz tests Daisy, her powers manifest and she levels the Triskelion but that's wishful thinking. It'll probably get worse like the Playground will get raided.

AOS claimed the top spot in the10 pm slot.

EDIT 4/15: The "Ophelia" bit was from the 2010 A-Z Handbook #12. Madame Hydra/Viper's name was revealed to be Ophelia Sarkissian.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #71 Yojimbo, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC!

[​IMG]
    "No Regrets"
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    The truth behind Fitz's turn threatens to bring down all of S.H.I.E.L.D.

13. reflection01

Another strong episode. Each arc has been stronger than the last. This show has found its footing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x18 (84) NO REGRETS

Well, that was predictable killing off Jeffrey Mace. Not like they were going to kill off anymore of the original cast. Nadeer, Radcliffe -- though I guess he's still alive, and now Mace. Still, Mace being from Brooklyn, too. That's fitting. And it's full circle, he dies a true hero in comparison to the truth about his role in Civil War.

Lot's of neat callbacks though. When Fitz talks to Daisy, he mentions the carrot and stick -- something used a lot on "Agent Carter" by the SSR. Coulson feeling a weird itch like hives around Ward. Simmons blatantly saying how Coulson killed Ward. Kenneth Turgeon from Whitehall's lab in season 2 showing May the serum which is Calvin Johnson's, down to the pepppermint. Mace finds "A team that trusts..." cheesy. Daniel Whitehall in Hope's history book. Coulson mentioning Bakshi News -- seems Sunil Bakshi is in charge of the state-run media and alluding to the Griffin/John Horton from season 1, a capture that Garrett told Ward about at the Fridge then later saying 'branding is everything' in the presence of Mace and Burrows, lol. The teenagers being subjected to the Faustus Method from season 2.

That's just great planning and writing. Aida alters Bahrain, May saves Belyakov, Belyakov kills 279 children, HYDRA uses incident to take over, and child prisoners are in danger is what makes May turn on HYDRA.

Loved Daisy despite her reduced appearance this episode. She was right. Beaten. But she was still right. Sometimes what people want isn't fight for them. Definitely something Aida wouldn't be able to process, not even with the Darkhold. Totally called Radcliffe would tell her about his back door. Something she can't destroy. Hmm.

Funniest thing: Jaime Flugelman. He's Canadian. :D :D

Hnn. Figures we'd meet Fitz' father in the Framework first. Alistair Fitz. And they hired David O'Hara. lol. It works (he plays villains a lot and is Scottish). Though of course, the much more awesome reveal -- the 'return' of Triplett! Yes!!

The end teaser. Aw yeah!!

#74 Yojimbo, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So glad to have May on board. Now she and Daisy can go whoop some HYDRA tail.

Mace was really growing on me, so it's too bad they had to kill him off in less than a season. But we have Trip back, so that's cool.

I'm also starting to feel that some characters may want to stay in the Framework, even if it's "fake". I mean, despite some hardships, some characters seemingly have it better here. I mean - look at Mack. He has a daughter that he may be pretty reluctant to leave.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Good point, @Gold Guy.

Also now let the question begin of who will be the Director when the dust settles? Will Coulson take it back -- he doesn't seem too interested, will Talbot take control -- looking at how the bromance with Coulson fizzled out, will they use someone new again like with Mace, or shot out of the dark - consider someone in the cast like Simmons, May or even Daisy... Hmm.

17. reflection01

Another excellent Season 4 episode. A few notes:

First, nice to see them bring back Trip and end the episode with Skye getting the terrigen mist. Full circle.

Second, how will they explain the public face of SHIELD dying in a virtual world?

Third, let me preface this by saying I don't want to start a political discussion. The last two eps, Fitz has used a line or version of a line made famous by a conservative.

In "Identity and Change," Fitz said, "Make Hydra Great Again," a reference to President Trump's campaign slogan.

In "No regrets," Fitz said, "Nevertheless, she persisted." This is a reference to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's explanation for invoking a little known Senate rule to silence Elizabeth Warren during Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing.

Makes me think I may have missed a line during "What If..."

• Like Like x 1
  18. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I question how dead Mace (and Agnes for that matter) actually are. Yes, his physical body is dead, but when it happened his mind was just data running on a program on computer systems scattered across the globe. As Agnes and Radcliffe have shown, you don't need a physical body in the real world to be "alive" in the Matrix world, and dropping a virtual building on a digital avatar isn't gonna destroy data. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how Fitz redeems himself in the end, with some digital resurrections.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC!

[​IMG]
    "All the Madame's Men"
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Daisy teams up with an unlikely partner; Aida prepares to put her endgame into effect.

20. reflection01

I am loving this season. Coulson's speech at the end touched me both in the context of the show and the "real world."

This week's reference to real world politics was Bakshi's offering to take his assistant to buy furniture. This was a reference to Trump's story of propositioning Nancy O'Dell told in the Billy Bush tape.

I love how they've managed to up the stakes with the possibility of Aida, The Doctor, and Ivanov returning in Season 5. Perhaps Good Ward and Trip could crossover too. I didn't realize how much I missed Trip. It was great to see his chemistry with Jemma again.

• Agree Agree x 1