1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 20, 2016.

1. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Another strong episode in what looks to be the strongest season so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x10 (76) "The Patriot"

DIRECTOR MACE AND DAISY JOHNSON

The rally was an interesting move to show how much 'the public' has rallied behind Mace and Daisy -- pretty much rockstars at this point.

And well, a first gen Hammer Industries Judas bullet. The second tie-in to the Netflix side of the MCU. Well placed.

Figures Mace wasn't a bad guy after all, he just wanted to be a hero and to help end Inhuman prejudice. But Talbot and the President still keeping secrets from Coulson can't be good. Though, this dual Director-ship with Mace and Coulson should be pretty fun.

TALBOT

Can't get enough of Talbot. Glad to see him back and a huge part in Mace's back story. And to boot, they managed to weave in Calvin Johnson's formula as well. Think we can count on the ramifications of using that version of the formula pop up later in the season.

FITZ AND SIMMONS

Fitz, you fool. Going behind Simmons' back again?! I fear they are setting up finally killing off either Fitz or Simmons -- or Fitz getting booted at least.

RADCLIFFE, AIDA, AND THE MAYS

The talk about LMD May was interesting. I wonder if that was subtle responses from Aida on purpose -- maybe even a tinge of jealousy that Radcliffe admitted LMD May was more advanced.

lol, figures May would know a spa was an illusion.

Hmm, wonder how LMD May will react to the metal body reveal...

THE MERCS

Nice call back to season one when Daisy mentioned Yuri Zaikin was presumed dead at the battle over the Fridge. Also amusing, Yuri referred to the plans as Phase One and Phase Two. heh.

LOLA

Also great to have a moment in Lola and confirmation Coulson had a mustache! lol. Daisy had to know LMD May's reaction to her asking about hooking up with Coulson was off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

That was quite an exciting episode with a lot of moving parts. The opening alone was exciting and fun.

Coulson and Mack's team-up with director Mace and his revealed secret was interesting. The actors did a great job. I really liked Jason O' Mara's scream when he was attacked with the briefcase. :p

Adrian Pasdar's Talbot was a ton of fun as usual including his two interrogation scenes (AIDA sure came in handy).

May's struggle with the real AIDA, Coulson's holo-shield making a return, Daisy's chase after the sniper, 'May' and Mack's battle in the shed, etc. were all highlights of the episode.

I cannot appreciate enough how much this show has grow and changed over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Wouldn't it be something if Ian Quinn is the one financing the Watchdogs?

5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Oh that would be a great tie-in to season one. There are still quite a few loose threads I want resolved in this show like Graviton, the return of Akela, Deathlok, and Agent Blake, plus perhaps some insight on what happened to Claire and Benny from Marvel One Shot: Item 47. I sure hope they weren't HYDRA agents as well.

Even if though don't all happen, Ian Quinn financing the Watchdogs would be fantastic. Nice idea!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Definitely. So much to revisit. I'm kinda glad they started a digital short with Yo-Yo. Could lead to others getting a shot.

One thing they're doing really well is using the canon and I feel like it's all starting to coalesce. They just revealed two more events that presumably took place between season 1 and 2 - the fight for the Fridge and attacking a HYDRA base in Argentina.

They keep saying they think whoever's backing the Watchdogs financially has international connections. When we first met Quinn, the international connections were in our face.

Nadeer was revealed to basically be using Inhumans as a front to get revenge of S.H.I.E.L.D. for her mother's death. Quinn using the Watchdogs against S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't that far a leap, either.

Quinn had some pull in D.C. at one point and met those generals before things went fubar. Being able to reach out to and teaming up with Nadeer makes sense.

Watchdogs have some tech that could well be made from Quinn's contacts like that EMP device.

He learned his lesson about being a 'public baddie' so operating from behind the curtain seems logical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Wow. Now I hope it is Quinn. I'll give you a round of applause if you're right. I still need to watch that Slingshot mini-series. Then I can comment on the appropriate thread. But more mini-series could definitely fill in more blanks for recurring/guest Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. characters.

I'm sure Nadeer is working with someone else that we already know and that reveal should be coming fairly soon since there will be a third story arc this season. The break will be kind of weird without Agent Carter in place of S.H.I.E.L.D., but it's not the end of the world. Also, the likely lack of a movie tie-in will be interesting since the show skipped Doctor Strange and I'm guessing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

I do hope May either escapes or gets rescued soon because AIDA is determined and calculating enough to kill her if Radcliffe turns his back for too long.

I have to admit, any time General Talbot shows up, I always think of Iron Man since the actor Adrian Pasdar voices the character in the Avengers Assemble animated series. :p

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Presumably "The Superior" was that guy make the demands during the black outs but he's probably some patsy installed by them if it's not Blake. Feels like they might have to do a Watchdogs heavy episode to explain what happened between seasons.

Yeah, I guess they'll take March off and do the final arc from April to May.

Yeah, just that one vague Hong Kong reference and well the indirect tie-in with the Darkhold. It's been speculated the Darkhold was stolen from the Kamar-Taj library because there's a permanent empty slot in the collection.

Given the great pacing so far, I'm pretty sure she'll escape by the next week or the end of the month.

Wow, really. Never would guess that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

S.H.I.E.L.D. is in process right now on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Wake Up"
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    May races to find the truth about what happened to her, while Aida’s next move could mean the death of them all

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a really good episode. It had what felt like six plot twists, and yet didn't feel overstuffed. :p

The May sub-plot was a roller coaster of emotions. Her desperate attempt to escape was harrowing, but to find out it was all a simulation? Ouch. :(

Coulson's plan really backfired. I winced when he and Yo-Yo were caught. Like Talbot said, they just gave the enemy ammunition.

Speaking of Yo-Yo, her sub-plot with Mack was one of the few things I didn't really enjoy. It's good for Mack to get more backstory, but it feels so divorced from the rest of the episode.

I did gain respect for Fitz, even though I don't see why he couldn't have told Simmons from the start. But he proved that he's no idiot.

And of course, the highlight for me was NotMay. Ming-Na Wen did a really convincing job getting across May's conflicted emotions. Must suck to know what the right thing to do is, and yet not be able to do it due to "programming".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4X11 (77) Wake Up

Ha, so the title refers a call out to basically everyone in the cast. :D

Mm. So 5 days between this episode and "Laws of Inferno Dynamics" and 1 day between this episode and last week's.

SIMULATIONS

The spa sim was hilarious. But I'm not going near wind chimes for awhile.

The escape sim. I knew it as soon as I saw it. Too easy for May to escape like that.

Bahrain sim. Makes sense. Plus another great callback.

AIDA AND RADCLIFFE

Interesting to see 2.0 ask why they're keeping real May alive. Interesting as in doesn't bode well but... especially not after Radcliffe tells her as a last resort one life to save millions.

Nice to hear the Darkhold didn't affect Aida - instead it did Radcliffe, imo. He did peak at the book before Aida read it after all. But oh man, so dumb to join up with Nadeer and the Watchdogs!

THE STUPID PART

Nice to see Simmons and Talbot were right about the two part op. The latter more so, especially after the reveal of Project Patriot.

Though it was nice to see Mace have that heart to heart with Daisy -- and the callback to season 1 Skye and her foster background. Loved that the meeting and Daisy was working out... until Nadeer. Nice of Daisy to stick it to her with the allusion to her brother. But ah, those thefts. They should have had a better cover for it. It's not like they didn't foresee that being discussed.

And it was hilarious that Coulson's comment was a bit meta about serialized series - better to learn things organically and Elena being the opposite school of thought or school of binge.

Not good news. S.H.I.E.L.D. humilated on Capitol Hill, Talbot is angry (and probably had his feelings hurt by Coulson) and questioning S.H.I.E.L.D.'s continued existence, Nadeer has more ammo, Daisy and Elena are in legal trouble...

ELENA AND MACK

It was a little too isolated from the other plots but it helped contrast Fitz-Simmons as well as act as red herring to make you think Mack was the second LMD, imo.

At least they got to the mystery photo Mack had with him when Ghost Rider came through the gateway. He lost a daughter 11 years ago. Though it was a good point, we hardly know anything about Mack after 2.5 seasons.

FITZ AND SIMMONS

So Fitz solved something yet caused another problem. Plus Simmons realized she was wrong about Fitz, she might not be as suspicious of him next time...

Nice to hear a Deathlok reference. Whatever happened to that guy?!

LMD MAY

Getting more and more interesting each week. She knows she's an LMD but she won't tell anyone. So the one weakness is when she gets hurt in the field, she can get exposed. I'm guessing it'll be during a firefight with Watchdogs or an Inhuman.

EDIT: At least Hope's photo from "Devils We Know" helps frame this season! It was labeled 4/18/06. So that makes this episode April 18, 2017. The season starts with mention of that Scottish Cup Finals so around March 12, 2017. So only a month and change has passed in-universe and they're 3 months ahead of us! Hmm, so that would mean 3 months pass between season 3 and 4, too because it overlapped with Civil War which was June and the epilogue was 6 months later, thus December 2016. Awesome. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    #51 Yojimbo, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  12. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

New S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Hot Potato Soup"
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Coulson and the team race to save agents Sam and Bill Koenig and the Darkhold book.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4X12 (78) Hot Potato Soup

THE KOENIGS

Mystery solved. Quadruplets with an older sister. Nice bonus to learn Sam and Billy were also connected to the original LMD Project as technicians. Funny there was a fourth, Thurston, who didn't have anything to do with the world of spies. Even though he called everyone sheep, he himself was the black sheep so to speak. Dug he got in a mention to Tony Stark and his IM armor's power source. Loved Artemis in this role as L.T., hope to see her again. Gut punching Sam after the hug, heh. But she and Thurston had valid points about the late Eric who didn't deserve the death he got.

Billy Koenig was who Coulson gave the Darkhold to. I'm sure some people were hoping it was certain magic user but it fits the storyline and awesome to finally have them back on the show. Never saw them since the Ultron tie-in in season 2. Loved how Daisy made a meta comment about that.

I was hoping for a lighter episode but not to much to mess with the great run of episodes lately. Boy did this episode deliver. Sam and Billy quoting then the hilarious fall was just the start. Sam waiving the smoke when the Quinjet docked was just the start. Anton and the tension -- just vodka and an onion. lmao. A puppy? Oh, man. Quack. rofl. But the Darth Vader clock memory takes the cake. LOVED IT! Laughed so hard.

Bummer another black ops SHIELD site got compromised. Can only wonder what other goodies were stored there.

ANOTHER SUB-PLOT

LMD Radcliffe revealing Radcliffe's connection to Fitz' father resembles a little too much of Felicity and Calculator on "Arrow" but given how Guggenheim writes the AOS comic for Marvel -- maybe not a coincidence. But money on Daddy Fitz appearing very soon - maybe even as the baddie for the third arc this season. But in a sense, the cast's past is catching up to them like Mack last week so -- eh. I'm on the fence.

Though nice surprise to see what came of the quantum brain Aida was building after she read the Darkhold. Still freaky stuff.

RED DAWN

Tying Yuri and Viktor to Leo then with their SVR past to the Prime Minister from last season who put Hunter and Bobbi on the run. Genius.

Anton's reason for hating Inhumans - power with no effort. Yeah, expected. A bit too on the nose. Something said ad nauseum on X-Men. But I have to check the PR again, because I swore they had the actor of Ivanov listed as The Superior. But it makes sense if he's him. And my Ian Quinn theory still holds up, :D

Totally not sure about Anton's Coulson obsession. Feels tacked on at this point in the game.

EDIT: Wonder if his Ivanov surname is a nod to a villain from the recent Ghost Rider comics.

#53 Yojimbo, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Click, click...! Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "BOOM"
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Daisy, Mace and the team seek a way to contain an explosive Inhuman.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x13 (79) BOOM

AGNES KITSWORTH AND AIDA

Figures Radcliffe modeled Aida's features on an old flame he regrets leaving. Nice touch to open with Coulson contemplating his own regrets and alluding to killing Ward last year. And still talking about getting stabbed by Loki, lol.

Aida taking the necklace. Uh-oh. Still the wild card of the season, imo.

THE BAD GUYS

Okay, Ivanov glanced at the Darkhold -- no biggie. But frak, they've got Director Mace now. I bet he's the next to be swapped in for a LMD. I wonder though if they were smart enough to disable his suit's new GPS feature. Probably. But guh, they're making it more and more like May will never be found. So frustrating!

The irony that a Watchdog was a potential Inhuman. But not Senator Nadeer. As for her, I have to side with Daisy. Good riddance. Loved that Zephyr scene when they realized Shockley was the exploding Inhuman. Edge of your seat wondering when he's gonna blow. And he ends up getting trapped by the Ghostbusters...er Fitz and Simmons.

DIRECTOR MACE

Lucky they aired this episode this week. Post-Super Bowl, it's fitting Mace is belting out the sports cliches left and right.

Makes sense the Patriot serum would be lethal considering the basis of it was Calvin Johnson's formula. But sets up Mace for a noble sacrifice as the season closes...

DAISY JOHNSON

Nice touch to show the Inhumans are still first and foremost with her by having Daisy take the lead on Inhuman relocation.

I guess it's good to show there's still a limit to what she can do with her powers.

MACK

While he was just background dressing much of the episode, with the added knowledge about Hope, it was good to see that come into play in his opinion about what do about Agnes.

FITZ-SIMMONS

Them trying to figure out the office bombing takes me back to the pilot episode when they were investigating that Centipede lab that blew up.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I really liked this episode (one of my favorite scenes was when Nadeer blew up; not just because I dislike her, but because it was such a well-done scene. It honestly had me thinking she would cocoon!
    Also, exploding is a cool power when you can regenerate.

Unfortunately, I didn't think Mace getting captured was a good scene. His whole character dilemma was that he felt weak and useless without his strength...but even when he got it back, he was taken down pretty easily, still looking weak. Ah well.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's a whole lot like Nitro's ability in the comic. Hm.

EDIT: Dug the Agent Carter reference, when Fitz asked if there was Nitramene residue.

EDIT2: Mark Kolpak from VFX goes into detail about work done on Shockley's power in this week's This Week podcast. Short story - Ghost Rider used 11 layers, Shockley's power used 70. They finished it down to the wire they had to deliver the episode after starting work on it around the winter hiatus.

#57 Yojimbo, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  18. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

S.H.I.E.L.D. to the rescue! Tonight at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "The Man Behind the Shield"
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on ABC
    Coulson and the team engage in a deadly cat-and-mouse game as they work to rescue Director Mace.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was pretty good. Flashback Coulson and May had such a fun, easy rapport.

This wasn't Mace's day, but at least you can't call him a coward.

I was getting tired of The Superior, so it was satisfying seeing Daisy beat him up (and then having Aida repeat his earlier words. Zing!)

The ending left me speechless. Should be a very intense episode next week. Fitz and Simmons will need one heck of a plan.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4x14 (80) The Man Behind The Shield

THE FRAMEWORK

Pretty neat to see Coulson and Daisy spar. Comes to show how something so innocuous in the opening episode comes back big time at the mid point of the season. But like with the tirade about building killer robots, Mack is again the voice of reason getting up on Fitz for building it. Still, interesting to see Fitz' journey parallel a little with Tony Stark's. Except he's got Simmons. I hope they're not setting up Fitz or Simmons to get killed off -- it's inevitable I guess for shock value to lose someone off the original cast.

KRASNOYARSK KRAI, RUSSIA

Could tell almost immediately from when the Russians were unloading that this was all a trap to swap in more LMDs -- since that's the worst possible scenario with a story arc titled "LMD" but I have to admit it because of the nature of this episode - setting up the board - I was way more into the flashback than the main story. I was, "Yeah, yeah, get to it. Set up next week's episode." But it was funny to see Coulson take a dump on Anton's mission in life.

It was cool for the red shirt, Agent Davis to get in some good moments. From Fitz' "Concern only slightly lessened" - "Thanks" moment to Davis referencing the Goblin King. Speaking of, nice of them to pay homage to the late David Bowie.

FLASHBACK

As I said, loved loved this part so much. So refreshing to go back to old school younger Coulson and May before everything. Maybe late 90s? And on a simple 0-8-4 mission (nice callback as well). So funny to see Coulson not at the top of his game yet and May being a lot more impish and laughing. "You should wear sunglasses" was a cool callback to Coulson's movie appearances. Also loved the callback to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy and the friendly rivalry among Communications and Operations. Or the biohazard line, a nod to "Melinda." The undercover mission talk, lmao. Then end it with the allusion to Andrew. RIP.

AIDA

Creepy the way she was mostly watching Mace from when he wakes on the chair to when he gets beat up. Then refers to Anton as filth at the end. So going to be the big bad of the final section of the season.