Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Beginning of the End" Season Finale Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, May 13, 2014.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!

Season finale tonight at 8 p.m. ET on ABC. We'll see you next season on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET.

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

[​IMG]
    "Beginning of the End" - Season Finale
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on ABC
    Dark secrets are revealed as Coulson and his team put everything on the line to stop Garrett and the forces of HYDRA.

#1.21: "Ragtag"

ABC.com - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Coulson's gun from The Avengers makes a much-welcomed return. :D

Now THAT'S how you do a plot twist!

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Anyone else thinking giant blue head influence?

Also isn't the director of S.W.O.R.D. half-alien in the comics?

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Pretty cool episode.

Loved seeing May beat up Ward. So gratifying, the guy deserved it.

Well, we finally know who one of Skye's parents is, and oy vey. Alien? But it wasn't blue....

Aw man, we don't get to see wat happened with Fitz? :(

The scene where Coulson killed Garret was so funny and epic. Nice! I also like Coulson's "I know what this does" line. Callback to Avengers.

At the end...was Coulson drawing Stars and spaceships? Guardians nod?

5. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

Easily one of the best season finales I've seen in a long time.

The funny thing is, Stephen Amell's 3 word sentence to describe the finally of Arrow works here too: "Wait, he's where?" --- pretty much describes Nick Fury's entrance.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

We actually don't know who Skye's parents are at all. Seems to have connection with the criminal underworld and had a weird bloody gooey hand. Some vague references of evil monsters that maybe even wanted to kill her.

Speaking of Coulson's drawings, some of the designs seemed to resemble this stuff from episode 4, "Eye Spy"

[​IMG]

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

That was a great season finale! Loved the pacing of it. Can't wait for the home release. Blu-Ray hopefully.

I'm relieved they brought back the equation from "Eye Spy" but it begs the question how did those people get the equation in the first place? Garrett called it the 'word of creation' but he was wacker doodles... I admit it seemed like a circuit board or schematic at first, but maybe it's a star map? But Skye is important to it. And since she's also gotten the serum, one can only wonder...

Loved that Fitz and Simmons figured out a way but sad they didn't reunite Fitz with the others at the end. Monkey callback was a nice touch.

I hate Quinn but his reaction to Garrett's gibberish in front of the military officials was priceless. "He's part time." So like Thor in The Avengers. "He's adopted."

Fury's entrance was The Awesome. I'm glad he was a guest star and not a end credits teaser cameo. And he had the Destroyer Gun from Avengers. Very cool. The banter among Coulson, Fury, and Garrett was hilarious. It could have gone on forever.

Glad Mike is free and apparently continuing on his hero's journey as Deathlok. Loved Ace's message. Smart way to tie back to the pilot. Hope to see Mike again next season.

I loved being right. Rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D.. Director Coulson? Now that's a promotion.

Neat turn with Koenig's twin brother. Couldn't help but smile after the lanyard line.

My one quibble is we still didn't learn outright what Skye or 'Guest House' alien was. That and the 'monsters' metaphor spouted left and right. Just a reiteration of her importance to the equation and a quick obscured view of her bio dad who has some slimy sound FX. I couldn't help but wonder if he was the real Mandarin.

The teaser - so A Brilliant Mind. I guess without the false Tahiti memory, that equation is what would manifest eventually and maybe what accounted for/added to the test failures and subjects breaking down. Like the Numbers in Lost.

8. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Episode #22

A nice conclusion of sorts. That fake-out with Garret was hilarious, although I really liked his make-up. That bloody face of his looked like an older R-rated movie kind of look.

I was thinking that perhaps Skye is the daughter of the Mandarin? That would certainly be a nice way to tie him back into the fold, especially after the short film with Trevor.

The reveal of Billy was hilarious. Hopefully he has better luck than Eric!

9. Captain Travis

Captain Travis New Member

I think Koening is a LMD rather than a twin, he greeted Coulson the same way Eric did. Almost like he was programmed to.

10. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I admit it. I laugh when Coulson blew up Garret. That was so unexpected. As for the rest it was awesome. It was great to see May get her revenge on Ward. Good fight. Fury appearance was great too. Anyway great episode.
    That the first thing I though too. He didn't acted to shock to Eric death. He was too joyful. Hopefully they explain this in the first episode of season 2.

11. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

So....are...they...gonna..like... do the Inhumans now? I mean...that was the point of Rania and Garrets mumbo jumbo about evolution and what not, right? We all know it was a Kree that was in that facility and the connection the Kree have with the Inhumans, and the fact that the closest thing we have to mutants are the Inhumans. Sigh, there is such a thing as too much teasing and the one thing the series could of handled even just a tiny bit better was the ambiguity surrounding Skye's origins.

Anyways that was a great season finale. I have to hand it to Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker, unlike Skye and Wards forced relationship, I always thought theres was genuine. I actually found myself getting pretty emotional in that scene when he revealed his feeling for her, which is why I didn't like that they had Fitz survive at the end. It kinda took away from the moment. It would of been great drama if he had died and it would of added some layers to Henstridge's character. And I hope the Ward-May fight is a sign of things to come in terms of action sequences. That fight was amazing. I didn't see the nails to the foot coming...at all.

Oh and that was totally a LMD of Koenig. I think it was the A.V Club that said it in their review, but it would be great if Patton Oswalt joined as a regular and he became the Kenny (South Park) of the group.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I've seen that theory tossed around. Understandable since everyone thought Coulson was one. But Eric Koenig set up his brother's existence in "Providence" as his video game partner. Twins. And twins also tend to think and say alike.

Though, the Kenny allusion... heh.

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Personally, I'm glad Fitz did survive (even if he never appeared on camera again after that) because a) they've already lost Ward to the dark side, no need for them to lose another team member, and b) I may be in the minority, but I personally can't stand seeing characters going through a lot of angst. Watching Simmons going through a ton of "Boo-hoo! My best friend's dead!" histrionics would get old in very short order for me. Keep FitzSimmons intact, I say.

14. reflection01

reflection01 Active Member

Completely agree. Their relationship was a good thing in the series with the finale being a high point. Even if they don't end up together, their chemistry is strong.

15. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

As a twin I can tell you that while we do think alike were not the same exact person which is what this set of Koenigs definitely are. The LMD seems more believable at this point. Ill say this...there not regular twins...there something definitely up with them. I assume thats what the show wanted us to believe since he delivered the same exact greeting.

They might of lost Ward, but he was immediately replaced. Actually losing someone like Fitz would of given this show an edge I think it's missing. But im not adverse to him surviving and not ever being the same either. Im just saying...him surviving cheapend the moment for me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  16. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

I'm a twin also. :)

And yeah, I get the feeling there's more to those Pattons that they're letting on right now.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I think I chuckled through most of this finale. Such an entertaining episode.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Two twins in the house? I concede, something must be up. If it's the LMD theory, the notion of LMDs existing the MCU was set up by Tony Stark in... The Avengers (?). It has been said the number of people Fury trust can be counted on one hand and he's not afraid to cut off fingers. Two Koenigs would make it more than one hand. Hmm.

19. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!

"Beginning of the End" replay

Get ready for next week with a replay of the S.H.I.E.L.D. season one finale at its new time, one hour later at 9 p.m. ET.

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

[​IMG]
    "Beginning of the End" - Season Finale
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Original air date: May 13, 2014

Dark secrets are revealed as Coulson and his team put everything on the line to stop Garrett and the forces of HYDRA.

#1.21: "Ragtag"

ABC.com - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.