1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agent Carter" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10. Hollywood Ending

Right off the bat, Howard steals the episode with 'you hit a woman with my car' and 'she's a two-time Oscar nominee' -- and he never looks back. Enjoyed that they took a moment to comment on all those Howard self-portraits in the mansion. lol. Didn't expect he'd be buddies with Manfredi -- and the mustard and that underwear line. omg. Pretty cool to bring back the hover car concept and even reference the one seen in the first Cap movie. R.I.P. Hover Car 2.0. And ah yes, going out with a swim in the nude. That's our Howard.

Whitney Frost didn't really get to do anything cool with her powers. Basically, all she did was get progressively more nuts. Pity. Her just walking right into the trap was so anti-climactic. It was nice touch to start off her last scene in her delusion and you know something's up if Calvin was there.

Throughout this episode, I kept thinking "Oh no, are they going to kill Sousa?" Stuck on window. Almost sucked into the rift. Kissed Peggy. But he survived! I'm on the fence about the last bit leading to the kiss. I was actually hoping Carter wouldn't choose neither and at the last minute, some agent or Howlin' Commando steps into Sousa's door asking for help on a new crisis.

Jarvis had some good ones in there like 'you can actually hear the sound of their egos growing' but mainly being there for Peggy as her steadfast ally and friend.

Joseph Manfredi got probably the saddest ending. Heart broke twice and goes to visit her in the asylum at the end... plus he found out Hank was working with the feds against him.

Cheeky of them to make fun of the portal in The Avengers when Samberly said, 'Can't open a rift to another world in the middle of downtown.' At least I think it was a friendly jab. A nice callback to season one was the reversal of sorts with Jack getting the dinner orders at Carter's behest.

Pity Rose got the short end of the stick in this episode. She should have gotten to go to Stark Pictures, too, darn it. And she got was a comedic flirt scene with Howard. Eh! At least Samberly got to be a big part of the episode. And Carter got one least scene with Ana before the end.

And it sounds like this is the start of the Long Beach branch of Stark Industries and the Arc Reactor project with Wilkes as a part of it. Pretty damn cool.

So they left it vague with Vernon Masters. I don't blame the crew. Kurtwood Smith is awesome. But we last saw Vernon with some Zero Matter in him... I suppose there's the chance he'll return in a season 3 with powers. Perhaps as a member of the Council of Nine. Four. Five with him. At least they dedicated a scene with Sousa and Thompson purging the SSR LA office of Vernon's loyalists.

After everything we went through with Jack and now he's back to being square with Peggy -- I actually hope he survives the gunshot. I didn't look like he was shot in the head or heart.

The redacted Carter file. As I said, I think it's actually about Michael Carter who faked his death, was involved in that June 1944 village massacre, and shot Thompson at the end. The file did only saw "Agent M. Carter" if I recall correctly. Not "Agent Magaret Carter." By then she was with the SSR, too. And we didn't see Michael's supposed death nor a body. But how this person knew Jack now had the file instead of Vernon. So the person knew/was told that Nick got the file and gave it to Jack in London a couple days ago, got their orders, and tracked Jack - who happened to have the file back in his possession. Hmm.

Probably the more annoying unanswered question was the Arena Club pin mystery. Jerking us around since season one and all they revealed it is literally a key. Ugh. Okay, so someone on the Council has something cool and probably powerful and dangerous locked away somewhere. And it's something Dottie knew about despite not taking orders from Leviathan anymore.

Carter's got a lot of eggs to deal with heading forward -- a boyfriend who's a supervisor, Leviathan, Red Room, Dottie Underwood, Secret Empire/The Council, Vernon, the Arena Club pin, whoever shot Jack, Maggia sticks around even into modern day probably if those two in Seagate were any indication, the Cold War, running out of vacation days, keeping Howard out of trouble... girl can deal though.

2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

What!? That's how it ends? WHAT? And no news of a possible season three? There's still so many questions left! What does the key lead to? Will we see more Dottie Underwood? Will Jack live? AUUUGH I'M GONNA GO INSANE!

But what a way to end the episode!

I agree that Whitney's demise was anti-climatic. I was hoping she'd put up a fight with her powers before they were sucked out of her. I did love that it ended with her talking to herself through a mirror since it served as her visual running theme throughout. I also gotta hand it to Joseph, he's a devoted gangster.

Overall, I think "Hollywood Ending" was perfect. Every character got at least one scene, with Howard especially taking the cake. There is literally nothing he says that isn't funny, charming, or irritable the way only Howard Stark can be. I also give full props to him flirting with Rose because it shows he's into women that aren't always conventionally attractive as seen in the media. Very glad for that. Either way, never change, Howard, you mustachioed dolt.

I almost thought they'd go through with Whitney killing off Samberly. Sure, the guy is an annoyance, but he certainly doesn't deserve death! If they had done that, I would have considered it the biggest "didn't see that coming" moment because I always figured he'd be nothing but a comic relief. ...Okay, he is nothing but a comic relief, but still, enough to leave him in one piece. Which is what happened anyway, but hey. (Okay, the ending was the biggest "didn't see that coming" moment.)

Also agreed that Rose got the short end of the stick. I really wanted the whole gang there and Rose certainly earned enough to join the team!

I figured Peggy would end up with Sousa instead of Jake and the finale prior to Jack's scene ends exactly what the title of the episode promises, a Hollywood ending. However, I think it's poetic. After being involved with a man who is by and large, a super human, to have Peggy fall for Sousa who is, physically speaking, the opposite, is a lovely subplot. I will say the only downfall of this quesi-love...square is poor Violet. While I loved that she went out of her way to fix Peggy's rebar incident and never took her jealously out on her when she found out Sousa was still into Peggy (a very good decision as nasty jealous women characters tend to be just awful), I feel Violet as a whole was kind of wasted as a character. She wasn't necessary in the grand scheme of things and they could have easily had Sousa just move to L.A. without forcing a rather disposable love interest.

Oh man, I really want a season three.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, for Agent Carter, they waited until the May 2015 to announce season 2. I suspect they're going to do the same thing this year since they only had AOS news Thursday. I hope they're smart enough to realize that Super Tuesday really negatively impacted the season finale's ratings. It's sad and ironic how politics affected the beginning and end of this season, heh.

Peggy always valued morals first than looks. She did fall for Steve when he was just a skinny guy who took his punches, imo, before he took the serum.

4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Oh yes, I remember. A very good additional they put in for Captain America. To have it play out consistently in Agent Carter with the added detail that Sousa is physically disabled is one of the biggest highlights to an already great show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

That doesn't explain the poor ratings all season, though. I mean the ratings weren't marginal for renewal like they were for the first season, they were well below where they should be.

With Marvel's Most Wanted and Damage Control on the way, I'm assuming one of those shows will take over as the midseason replacement for Agents of Shield next year. I just can't see a third season for Agent Carter, and besides that little bit on the end with Thompson and I guess Dottie, there weren't a ton of dangling threads.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know the ratings for the whole season. Nor AOS. Nor ABC's methodologies for renewing or cancelling. It was just a stray observation.

They only have pilot orders so it's too soon to say they're replacements... but it would be way better to have them after AOS to cut down on the wait time for the fall premiere, imo.