1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agent Carter" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jan 19, 2016.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Ready for another adventure, Miss Carter?" Peggy Carter is back and on the west coast! Two-hour season premiere tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC!

'Like' Agent Carter on Facebook
    'Follow' Agent Carter on Twitter

[​IMG]
    "The Lady in the Lake"/"A View in the Dark" - Season Premiere
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on ABC
    When Peggy moves to Los Angeles to help with an investigation, she is reunited with familiar faces.

ABC.com - Agent Carter

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Great start paying off season one with Dottie caught right at the start. Oddly, she was on it. Wore same hat as Peggy and tossed a table on Thompson's throat. Intriguing she was sent to steal a Secret Empire pin. Don't think that's the last we've seen of her. I admit I was stuck for a good portion of the airing wondering what Dottie/Red Room/Leviathan's part in this season is going to be.

Vernon playing Thompson like a cheap fiddle can't be good but I'm glad it was brought up that the SSR was a war agency and quickly going to be deemed obsolete -- likely bridging the way to the founding of S.H.I.E.L.D. by Howard Stark, Peggy Carter, and Chester Phillips... in whatever year they finally decide on.

Loved Ana and Bernard.

Hmm, so these industrialists appear to be the Secret Empire. Nice to see turns out Hugh Jones, from season one, of Roxxon was a member all along.

Pretty cool we learned a bit more about Darkforce, Zero Matter on this show. That Mojave test reel was well done. Bummer on what happened to Wilkes but he may not be dead.

3. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Loved the episodes. Starting out with Dottie wearing the same outfits Peggy did from the first episode was not only a nice callback, but a great continuation from the previous season and transition to the new.

I adore Jarvis' wife, Ana. She's completely not what I've expected, but I like it. I'm especially relieved and fond that she is in no way jealous or petty that her husband is close to Peggy. Their marriage looks and feels confident and assured that Ana has no doubt Jarvis is nothing but a good friend to Peggy. I loved the bond the two women shared (Ana making fashionable clothing that's also good for combat? Yes, please!) and I want to see their friendship grow.

Also love the idea of a female villain potentially being the main baddie of season two and boy, does she have her husband under her thumb. Interestingly, she mostly reveals this attitude in secret which may be a smart idea. In the world she lives in, Frost is probably nothing but her husband's arm candy, but I think she's using that to her advantage. After all, nobody would suspect a woman to be crafty enough to pull off the things she did and still could.

Jason Wilkes' addition brings up another issue that I'm glad Marvel decided to address. The racism of that time period adds another blemish that Peggy already endures with sexist people undermining her talents. To see Wilkes struggle to help Peggy or risk losing the only job that would hire him in spite of his skills is a nice parallel between the two.

Which is why it's kind of a shame Wilkes had to potentially bite it at the end because that brings up a looooooooot of problems. Then again, we don't see a body and in superhero rules: if there's no corpse, then he's probably alive. I'm crossing my fingers that he is, hopefully not as a bad guy because that can bring an even bigger number of problems. Presumably he's gonna have a lot of Zero Matter in him though.

4. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Right which brings up the possibility I raised on the other thread that he is an existing Marvel character who uses the Darkforce.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

More thoughts on the episodes

1. The Lady in the Lake

Makes sense the opening would emulate the series premiere but with a twist (the woman being Dottie and not Peggy, walking away from the screen instead of towards among the sea of men in suits, and Peggy complimenting the hat instead of Rose).

Speaking of Dottie, that's embarrassing to be caught in the first act. Heh. What Leviathan and the Red Room want with a Secret Empire lapel pin... we will undoubtedly find out later in the season. Perhaps they're trying to uncover the true identities of the Council of Nine and eliminate them? But I forgot for awhile she was a bad person, I even liked her for throwing a table on Thompson's neck.

The archive footage of Los Angeles used to segway into Echo Park was a nice touch. Figured it would be a 1 year time jump. Season one ended on VE Day in May 1946 and at the start of this episode, Detective Andrew Henry remarks it's the hottest day of the year - an implicit nod to summer. Then later on, at Santa Anita Park there's the sign reading "Summer Classic."

They definitely didn't waste any time to stylistically separating New York City from Los Angeles and quickly hitting the noir feel from material like L.A. Confidential or Black Dahlia.

It was nice reminder that we're in both the Atomic Age and Cold War era when Peggy demands names of other communist operatives in the US.

It's interesting to note the duality of the SSR expanding and opening a branch on the West Coast while Vernon notes it's becoming irrelevant since World War II is over and it's days are numbered. Still, it's great to see that Daniel Sousa's accomplishments didn't go unrewarded and he was made Chief. I wonder if this branch is what evolves into that S.H.I.E.L.D. field office Maria Hill occupied in AOS season one. In any case, awesome to see Sousa evolve and move on from Peggy and find love in Violet. Dig the irony of him falling in love with a nurse since that was basically Peggy was in the comics originally. Pretend flirting with the Isodyne receptionist was hilarious.

Edwin Jarvis continues to be a delight. The addition of Bernard and Ana is just extra icing on the comedy cake.

Howard Stark heading west as well could be foreshadowing the Long Beach headquarters from the Iron Man movies and Tony's Malibu home. Nice to see his preoccupation this season is just a new hobby and not a set up to make him look like a traitor.

Jason Wilkes was well a good guy and amusing. I don't mind him being a new love interest. Plus, they crafted a well written scene in the next episode regarding his backstory. Kudos the crew addressed the presence of racism in post World War II America. It was also neat they figured out a way to name drop "Tales of Suspense" as movie mentioned by Jarvis at Santa Anita since Wilkes was a character that appeared in "Tales of Suspense" Issue #25 but not as likable, a greedy scientist that ends up invisible.

2. A View in the Dark

The opening with Jarvis. So hilarious.

It was amazing to finally learn a bit about Peggy's backstory - having a brother, growing up in Hampstead, getting into trouble at school, and likes whiskey. If you think about it, we hardly know anything about her pre-SSR.

The Secret Empire. Council of Nine. The Council. So a bunch of wealthy evil industrialists including Hugh Jones of Roxxon from last season. Check. Caused the Wall Street Crash of 1929. Check. Meet in a secret bookcase chamber. Check. Can put out candle flames with their fingers. Check. Wants to infiltrate the Senate. Check. Vernon is their mole probably. Check. Uses the Arena Club's symbol and incites online discussion about how closely it resembles an 1800s HYDRA symbol seen in AOS season 3 and how it was an offshoot of HYDRA in the comics despite the showrunners denying they are HYDRA on this show.... Yeah.

Howard's leisure car. Nice callback for those who read the Captain America: The First Avenger prelude comic. Howard had a similar car when Phillips tried to recruit him to the SSR and they were targeted by HYDRA leading to a deadly car chase. The various functions of this car. Lmao. And a mirror. Great subtle acting when Jarvis does a small shrug when Peggy sees the mirror.

If I read that card right, I think that was a Madame Masque nod - Frost was filming "The Woman with the Gilded Face." Amusing they got that comedian to be the director Kenneth. But ouch, the typical prejudice against women and older women in acting.

The Isodyne Atomic Test film reel scene was well done and chilling. Neat twist it's related to Dr. Strange and to Blackout from AOS season one. And Wilkes was on the money with his guesses of it being extraterrestrial and extradimensional. Peggy's "Not of this Earth" was awesome.

Kudos to Sousa to putting on the Chief pants in that one scene after he flips out in his office.

Nice bookend to Jarvis and Ana's history at the end when Ana reveals a bit more about how they met.

It will be interesting to see how Frost changes and how her powers, if any manifest - will they be like Blackout's, like what we saw with Henry and Jane, or something else?

3. Some of the cons of the season opener were

*Way too many name drops of famous people and locations in California. We get it, the show's mostly in LA and you're setting the time -- we get it!

*We lay witness to yet another highly dangerous amorphous black goopy thing. Sigh. We had Gravitonium in AOS Season one and the Monolith in season two and three. Give the goop a rest already!
    **And on a side note, a lot like how Whitehall saw the Obelisk as a weapon -- sigh, here they see the Zero Matter as an energy source to make money with...

*Uh, another secret society.

*Uh, another potential secret society presiding over a season arc that involves an alien object that can give people powers and make them potentially nutty.

*Jack Thompson keeps sounding like Grant Ward if I close my eyes and keep listening.

*Whitney Frost seems like a great character but uh, another villain that's an antithesis of the hero.

EDIT: This Week in Agent Carter podcast week 1 posted. It has writers Brant Englestein, Lindsey Allen, and Eric Pearson, and Executive Producer Chris Dingess on it.

#5 Yojimbo, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good opening two parter. The Hollywood backdrop is a good change of pace (I'm a fan of that old-school feel myself). I was a bit sour on Sousa, TBH, but at least Peggy is being as good a sport as possible about it. Of course, Wilkes seems like a very nice guy...assuming he survives, that is.

I like Dottie, hope we see a lot more of her. As for Whitney, welp, there goes her acting career.

7. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Better Angels" January 26, 2016

Agent Carter settles in at its normal time. Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Better Angels"
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Peggy's pursuit of the truth about Zero Matter places her on a collision course with her superiors.

8. reflection01

So that episode explained what Jason Wilkes was the only character to have a shadow in his cast photo.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I assume Zero Matter will start giving a lot of people super powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Better Angels

As in last week's opening, good to see the red scare settling in and here, Calvin Chadwick and Whitney Frost were able to easily frame Dr. Wilkes as a communist spy. Though very good that Carter saw right through that ploy immediately.

Kid Colt, nice! Jarvis and Peggy in the shot was hilarious. As was Peggy getting meta and thinking comic book adaptations was a dreadful idea. But so glad to have at least one episode with Howard Stark in it this season. Cooper makes it seems so seamless and slips right back into Howard Stark mode. Remembering Dottie, "I'm not a joiner," and "Women aren't allowed." Watergiggles! :D But it was appreciated that they also showed the scientist side of Howard as well, examining Peggy and explaining photography.

As interviews indicated, Peggy's not the only character to deal with sexism. Chadwick thinking about his campaign when she mentions retiring from acting and Kenneth at the end... but she totally played Chadwick with that crying act. But woof, awful way to die Kenneth. Like I thought last week, seems like Zero Matter might be the Terrigen Crystal of Agent Carter and lead to wacky super powers.

Great improvising with Peggy to use the bug she smashed to distract Rufus rather than get into a direct fight and expose herself. Her American accent act was awesome. Books. But snap! Calling Thompson a coward and alluding to his time in Okinawa. Definitely a change from last season. At least Jack recognized the headline at the end of the episode, and the gears started turning.

As a timeline geek, two thumbs up for giving away that July 16 date on the newspaper. So episode one of this season starts on July 13, 1947. Well over a year after season one ended on VE Day 1946.

Loved it when Jarvis' Tortoise of Fury move worked against Rufus. Loved the J.A.R.V.I.S. nod with the security upgrade. Heh heh.

Abner Brody. Could swear that's an Indiana Jones reference. On the Arena Club. Howard mentioned they were around since 1906. So they predate Red Skull's HYDRA. A good sign, the Council/Secret Empire will be it's own thing (but then again, the revelations on AOS about HYDRA's long history) as the producers claimed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

It is, dating back to Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Cooper is so good as Anthony that he steals every single scene he's in. So wish we could have a scene featuring him and Downey one day...

Yeah, that "a film based on a comic?" thing was hilarious. Sometimes, jokes like that come across as way too hammy, but it worked here.

Interesting route they're going with Whitney. Her acting career will suffer for it, though. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Forgot to mention I dug the MCU nods - Howard asking about using the velvetta for fondue (his fondue line in Captain America: The First Avenger), the stain glass image resembling the Arc Reactor, and a bit more obscure but in that lab you'll see a jukebox (I'm pretty sure Tony had a jukebox or maybe this same one, in his Malibu lab).

Ah, yes! Thank you. The name is an amalgam of sorts. There's Dr. Marcus Brody and Abner Ravenwood. Brody was Indy's patron and Ravenwood was a mentor of Indy's and obsessed with the Ark.

I'm wondering how long they will keep this up since last season's change up of who the big threat was is in still in the back of my mind. But it's still peculating - the Council of Nine, Whitney Frost, and undoubtedly Dottie will probably escape. It'd be interesting if she's forced to team up with Peggy to take down Frost. What is Frost's ultimate goal going to be? Cure herself? Recreate the conditions seen in the film reel -- but ending up threatening to engulf California and most of the US with a Darkforce rift?

14. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Finally caught "Better Angels" and it's a smorgasbord of character examination. Peggy's determination is easily explained by her guilt and feelings for Dr. Wilkes, but I also think a part of this is her continued resolve to fight the system. Her reaction when people shoot her down is an all-too familiar attitude she's had to deal with all her life.

And it doesn't help that it's Jack doing it. Jack's a fascinating man. He trusts Peggy enough to send her to the LA case and generally seems to acknowledge her as an active member of the SSR. But he's still an arrogant worm who tries to find the straight path out and it underlines the pressure he has to put up with in his line of work. He has reputations to perfect and complications to remedy before it gets out of hand. It's not the ideal way, but it keeps the rope from being too tangled. He's a complicated man because he's also not made out to be a one-note antagonist (love the scene where he and his Sousa have a friendship moment.) And of course, he finds out the cogs aren't turning the right way by the end of the episode. I'm glad they decided not to beat around the bushes by having him suspect something ain't right in the third episode. I think I would have gone crazy if they kept him as a stubborn obstacle the whole way.

And more Howard Stark is always the best. There is never not a bright moment with this guy.

15. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Smoke & Mirrors" February 2, 2016

Not all is as it seems! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Smoke & Mirrors"
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Agent Carter and the SSR make discoveries about Hollywood star Whitney Frost.

16. reflection01

Another fine episode. We got the Peggy Carter backstory we've been craving after three films, one short, and one and a third TV seasons. It didn't disappoint. Whitney Frost continues to be intriguing and another great addition to the great lineup of MCU TV villains.

Anybody else think Peggy's brother looked a lot like Jack Thompson? Kind of a mix between Jack Thompson and Steve Rogers, actually.

The way Agnes' mom said "Bud Schultz" made it seem like the name was significant. Can't find any Marvel references.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It took years, but we finally got Carter's backstory. I rather liked the parallels between her and Whitney - they both grew up in times when their dreams were discouraged. I do wish we had gotten a bit more closure with Carter's fiancee, though.

Wow, I guess Whitney doesn't care about keeping her powers a secret from her husband anymore. Glad they didn't drag that out.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4. Smoke & Mirrors

-Thoughts

It was surreal getting to see Peggy's origin story at long last! And to have it parallel Frost's was icing on the cake. Seems all that was different was economics. Nice touch that Dottie alluded to Peggy's upbringing in the opener and Peggy alluded to her brother while she sparred with Jarvis. Michael Carter was well written. You can sorta tell Peggy took Howard on as a surrogate brother already but Michael sort of cements it. But oh, poor Peggy. Tragedy follows her... and hopefully the producers paid real attention to canon (or came super close to messing it up again), but the S.O.E. was greenlit in July 1940 and we know before hand that Peggy's earliest known SSR op was in November 1940 when she extracted Dr. Erskine from Red Skull's castle. Couple months of training and right into a infiltrate and extract mission...

It is getting a little creepy with how much of a super genius Whitney was even from a young age. But at least Wilma was technically right about using her looks. Probably the only nice thing she ever did for Agnes.

Good idea to address Wilkes' physical state and the issue of eating and sleeping. But seeing that Darkforce rift can't be good... but it sounds similar to Tobias Ford's situation after the Staticorp Particle Accelerator incident in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s "Repairs" episode in season one.

Loved it that Sousa supports Carter 100% and simply wants to be on her team instead of being "the boss." I forget if we already knew about his injury at Bastogne specifically. The Siege was back in December 1944 and the Philippines Campaign was October 20, 1944 to August 15, 1945. It was a nice touch for Rufus to prejudge Sousa for only serving in the European theater since the Pacific was more savage and brutal in some respects.

First it was the Wall Street Crash of 1929, now the Council planned McKinely's assassination in 1901?! At this rate, combined with Vernon's constant communism rising tide threat and Dottie, Carter should just let the Council and Leviathan have at it then the SSR can blow away who's left. lol. The idea that Vernon's dirty and controls the War Department for the Council does sort of pave the way and justifies how S.H.I.E.L.D. operated with little interference in the modern day aside from keeping the World Council in the loop. Yet...HYDRA. Still he did bring up the point Peggy isn't an American citizen yet lives in the States.

Wondering what role that sample from Jane's autopsy will play -- we'll see... but hilarious Sousa only had to promise Samberly to put in a good word with Rose. More so when Sousa asks why he had to take a punch.

Favorite parts were Peggy nonchalantly dropping the campaign button out the window, Jarvis and the koala, Rufus in the trunk, and everyone looking at Jarvis to bring some alcohol

-References

*Wikes tells Peggy about a fast-neutron reactor built in Los Alamos last year. This was nicknamed Clemetine and it went active after August 1946 historically.

*Jarvis reads the magazine and noticed Hedy Lamarr is divorcing her third husband. Historically this was on July 17, 1947 which syncs up to the season's timeline! Lamarr divorced John Loder on grounds of great and grievious mental suffering.

*Mr. Edwards mentions Winston Churchill spearheaded the S.O.E. himself. Historically, it was greenlit July 22, 1940

*Agnes' college rejection letter was from the University of Oklahoma.

*Peggy's encounter with Hugh Jones was back in season one's "Bridge and Tunnel"

*President McKinely was fatally wounded on September 1, 1901 at the Temple of Music

*Vernon Masters mentions the Hollywood Ten. They were outed as Communists by William R Wilkerson in his TradeView Column on July 29, 1946

19. reflection01

I was looking forward to your writeup, Yojimbo. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  20. McMax

McMax Member

I just caught up on Agent Carter and I enjoy the first season a lot more than I thought I would and I’m glad she is back. I like the setting in LA and the post-war world with both the Atomic Age and the Cold War starting and the first inklings of SHIELD, even if it’s only in that the SSR’s days are numbered. (And when SHIELD does happened I hope that they get Tommy Lee Jones to show) Darkforce is some nasty stuff but Frost brought it on herself. I wonder if the mask is going to up this season.

However Sousa calling Thomson for help was done to get Peggy to LA but when she gets there she finds a building full of agents, and Sousa doesn’t have anybody that can handle the case? It should’ve been that Peggy arrives to find Sousa, Rose, and maybe two or three others and that’s all, that’s all SSR West is, so that’s why he needs help.