1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Zombies" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, Dec 7, 2005.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

57.1%
  2. ****1/2

14.3%
  3. ****

14.3%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Torn from the pages of Ultimate Fantastic Four!

MARVEL ZOMBIES #1

[​IMG]

WRITER: Robert Kirkman
    PENCILS: Sean Phillips

THE STORY: On an Earth shockingly similar to the Marvel Universe’s, an alien virus has mutated all of the world’s greatest super heroes into flesh-eating monsters! It took them only hours to destroy life as we know it—but what happens when they run out of humans to eat?!? Follow their search for more food—and witness the arrival of the Silver Surfer!

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Now that is one excellent cliffhanger! I was a bit apprehensive about this comic when I began to read it but the dark humor just won me over. Has anyone else read this? I think this is a pretty neat experiment on Marvel's part. It's got some pretty twisted stuff in there and it pretty graphic but the great artwork really helps the story along. Seeing some of Marvel's best heroes feast on others and having their limps ripped off or blown apart is a bit of an eye-opener!

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i thought this was a nice read even though im not really into the whole "zombie thing". i guess it's kind of interesting that somewhere deep down the zombies are "still human".

how is magneto still alive???!!!

4. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I just read it and yeah i like it, i was Whoa on how the zombie heroes are ripping apart Magneto and how Spider-Man even if he's a zombie still thinks the same when he was before.

5. Wonder Woman

I actually found that scene to be pretty comical. It was some very good dark humor. Peter wails on about how he's eaten Mary Jane and Aunt May and all the other zombie heroes do is shrug it off as Spider-Man just over-reacting and complaining again. I think Kirkman dropped alot of great scenes and showcased some very bizarre humor. The whole situation with Hulk changing back to Bruce Banner and dealing with all the people he ate as Hulk was a good touch. It wasn't a perfect grandslam by Kirkland but it's easily a three-base run.

6. Wonder Woman

Just look at how awesome the cover is for issue #2!

MARVEL ZOMBIES #2

[​IMG]

THE STORY: From the pages of Ultimate Fantastic Four! On an Earth inhabited by zombified versions of Marvel’s greatest heroes, a ray of hope has appeared—the space-born Silver Surfer! Still, can even a being wielding the Power Cosmic long survive among the denizens of this undead world?

Comments?

7. Weibart

Weibart Intercept Now!
    Reporter

I'm really digging this series so far. The premise is phenomenal, and timing it with the coming of Galactus is a great twist. Kirkman's very clever and logical, and that's the way he handles these two issues... they're very well paced, not a boring spot to be found... there's a good deal of talking, but it's very interesting, and whatever you would call action in these two issues works really well.

I'm loving it. If you're a Marvel fan, you owe it to yourself to buy both of these issues and see what it's all about... this isn't just a zombie fest, it's a Marvel Superheroes Zombie fest, and it's expertly handled. Sean Phillips does a tremendous job with the art... with a set-up like this I think he's the perfect artist for the job... he's not too gory but he gets a lot across.

I'm surprised no one's attempted a series like this, it's absolutely fantastic, just run out and buy this now!

8. Wonder Woman

9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i am enjoying the mini series. i just don't have alot to say because i'm not really into the "zombie thing". i don't like how we have to wait and see what happens to the silver surfer in issue 3, i thought this would have been done in issue 2. oh well. i am really digging the second print cover for issue 1, i'll definately be picking that up. i wouldn't mind seeing/buying 2nd print variants for the rest of the issues (assuming they will all go into second prints), as long as they arent those 1 in 15 things. i definately would like to see these 2 covers "zombiefied":

one can only hope... that they are not red "x"'s in a white box. the covers were fantastic four #48 and 49.

#9 rggkjg1, Jan 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  10. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Wow, I LOVE that variant cover!
    I'm not complaining, but this is already the second Spider-Man spoof cover [after the classic wedding Annual cover spoof], while this story isn't even mainly about Spidey :)

I haven't been able to read these issues, living in Holland and all, but I'm planning on getting the [inevitable] trade once it appears in the TPB store near me, as I've heard many good things about it!

11. kaine23

kaine23 Gurren Brigade member

I'm loving it after one my friends recommended it to me!

12. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

Still waiting for my local shop to re-stock #2 (they only ordered 5 of em :mad: )

13. Wonder Woman

The new issue of Marvel Zombies hits this weeks!

MARVEL ZOMBIES #3

[​IMG]

THE STORY: The star rider of the spaceways—the Silver Surfer--at war with an entire world of Marvel heroes—who happen to be zombies! How do you defeat an army of the super-powered Undead, even with the Power Cosmic? There’s only one way to find out. Don’t miss it!

Comments?

14. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

The covers to this mini are absoloulty fantastic. The art itself is also gorgeous, such a nice clean style with great gorey effects, rather than just gore, gore, gore with minimal artistic ability.

I've been immesnly enjoying this mini so far. I'd love to see these guys on a Spider-Man book. :)

15. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

With every issue this mini gets better and better.

I can't wait for thier showdown with galactus

16. Jade_GL

Jade_GL An Aperture Science Original

I love this comic.

At first I thought it seemed too gimmicky, but after reading the first two issues, I am hooked. I read it right away when I got my pulled books this week.

The story is so funny, and it's just such a good riff on zombie lore in general. I love seeing things from the zombie point of view. The art is fantastic and the humor is dark and gross, but fun.

I can't wait to see if they can eat Galactus though... I mean, they did manage to chow on Silver Surfer, so how about the big guy? :D

17. halinar

halinar Active Member

I list this book as the poster child for "guilty pleasure".

I'm not a fan of the art but the pure craziness of the story has me hooked. The only thing I'm wondering is with such a big hit on their hands are they whacking the characters too quickly? This will limit them if they want to do a follow up and most everyone is already dead... well dead again.

18. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

All they need is for one zombie to wind up hopping dimensions to start it all over again.

19. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

Man, I lost it when Galactus showed up and they're all like "INFINTE DINNER!"

(ok, they really didn't say that, but that's what they're thinkin :anime:)

oh and I gto a chuckle out of the concept of Zombie Ghost Rider

20. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Wow, this was great.

Some very nice stuff here [like Janet's head moaning at Black Panther for a nibble off him :D] and it's one of those comics that carry the fortunate attribute of the reader being stoked to get the next issue, after reaching the end of each issue :)
    Obviously, I can't wait to see how Galactus is handled in the next issue, and Im sort of foreseeing Black Panther and Magneto's men taking the zombies down, although I can't see how that could happen... unless the Marvel Zombies actually ate all of the other zombie superheroes [as that seemed to be implied, but I wasn't sure?]...

The only thing which seemed strange to me [and it's probably due to my lack of knowledge of the character] was that the Silver Surfer['s flesh] could actually be eaten, as I always thought he was made up of cosmic energy [like that character in the Superman/Doomsday Hunter Prey mini-series, which was the only creature who ever managed to defeat Doomsday prior to the first Superman Doomsday arc], even though he used to be human.