1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Unlimited" General Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by MDawg, Nov 13, 2007.

1. charleshudgen

charleshudgen Charles Hudgen

It is good to read comics but nowadays, I don't buy comic books anymore because it will eat the space of my room due to the stocks of these comics.So, I decided if I want to read a comic, I prefer to read thru e-book.This will save space, money because I can download it for free.

2. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

You can also get a second month for $1 after you input the code they give you.

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Well, I have to say I would not recommend this service to anyone with an iOS device. There's no good way to read it on an iOS tablet because everything is in a clunky, outdated, irritating Flash interface, and Marvel doesn't look like they're going to switch it from Flash any time soon. Honestly, if I had to put money on it I would bet that Marvel will abandon this service soon for its Comixology partnership, the same way they abandoned GIT Corp DVDs for this.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't speak the tech lingo: what's an "iOS" tablet? An Ipad? I heard you couldn't view Flash on an Ipad. I was hoping to get a Kindle Fire someday though, and was hoping to read the comics on it...

I've had the Marvel DCU service for 3 years now, and it works fine on my desktop, so if you can get used to reading a comic on your desktop, it's fine...

And as for whether or not Marvel will be abandoning the service anytime soon, I have wondered that, due to Comixology being all the rage at the moment. But I'd hate to be left with JUST a Comixology style of service only (where you pay per issue).

5. Shawn Hopkins

Yes, an iPad. You can't get MDCU to work on an iPad without some exotic workarounds and expensive apps, and even then the quality is bad and the site is nearly unnavigable because of how these things work. I know, I've tried.

I think it might work on Kindle Fire, but the way the site is set up the actual comic will look so small on the seven inch screen that viewing it in any kind of full-page mode will probably make it unreadable.

The reason I think it's not long for this world is that if they were serious about it they'd convert it to something better than Flash and give it an interface that doesn't suck. And because they're sort of stealing their own lunch when they could be driving people to Comixology.

6. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I have no problem with the service on my laptop, but yeah, it's terrible on my Kindle Fire. I'm guessing they aren't going to optomize it for tablets anytime soon in order to not compete with themselves on Comixology, but I'd hate to see them drop the service completely for Comixology. I don't know, the way I see it, it's like a TV show being on Netflix and available for purchase on iTunes. Two different ways of digital content distribution that can co-exist.

7. wonderfly

Something of interest in one of the first panels at the San Diego Comic Convention:

Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited is receiving an upgrade.

From the article:

I for one am just glad that it appears Marvel is still embracing the "Digital Comics Unlimited", and it appears they won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

8. wonderfly

To add to my last post above, from a few months ago: Apparently Marvel is in the finishing touches of revamping their "Digital Comics Unlimited" website:

When I went to the Marvel website tonight, I clicked on a digital comic I wanted to read, and was greeted with a question: "Would you like to try out Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited Reader Beta?" I said yes, and gave it a test drive....first thing that popped up was a message that this was the new version which would soon be available for reading on Ipad, Iphone, and Android Mobile devices.

The old way of reading comics on their website allowed you to choose between viewing a single page, two pages at once, or "smart panels". On the single page and double page viewscreen, you had the option to "magnify text" if desired, and zoom in and zoom out.

This new version has the same 3 main choices (single page, two pages, and "smart panels")...but I don't see any "zoom in" features. Instead, the "smart panels" on this version are much more designed for small tablet screens - no zoom is needed with this kind of magnification. Still, I would prefer to zoom in to my own desired level on my desktop computer here, but I suspect this would work well on a tablet (which I plan on purchasing soon). It cuts from panel to panel much more sharply in this new version of "smart panels"; on the old version, I liked the flow as the browser moved down the comic page from panel to panel. There's not so much of a "flow" here, it just cuts to the next panel.

Also, there's no "magnify text", so if I view the comic in "single page" or "two page" mode, it's sometimes hard to read speech bubbles. Some of the speech panels in the "two page" mode are faded for some reason, making them unable to read - this looks to be a glitch. All in all, it looks like a work in progress (Marvel asked for feedback at the end of the comic). But still, this confirms that Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited isn't going anywhere, and it's soon to be available on your Ipad. :)

9. Shawn Hopkins

I just checked, the beta reader doesn't actually show up on the iPad yet. Just the same old "you gots to get flash, boy" message.

10. wonderfly

One part I forgot to mention above: Another part of the message from Marvel that played at the start said this test run was "available to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscribers only". I get the feeling it's still in testing phases, which could last a few more days, or weeks...hopefully not months...

If you're a subscriber, Shawn, then I don't know...perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm on a desktop computer...

11. Shawn Hopkins

I'm a dumbass. I have two accounts and I was signed into the unpaid one. It works on the paid one.

12. wonderfly

Screen captures:

[​IMG]

"Smart panel" below

[​IMG]

This is on my desktop, mind you...

So yeah, it's similar to the old version, yet different...

13. Shawn Hopkins

On my iPad in Safari I couldn't get that UI to show up at all, except for a "go right" button that stayed on the screen and obscured the art. It would let me pinch to zoom, but it was slow and unresponsive. Still, this is a beta, so a few bugs are to be expected. I would prefer a dedicated app but this is better than nothing.

Edit:

Now I got some of the UI features to work, but they don't work right. Still very, very glitchy, nothing like the smooth reading experience you get with Comixology.

#53 Shawn Hopkins, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  14. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Oh wow, now I need to go about trying this. I'll see if I can figure it out. Do I just need to log in from my Kindle Fire's browser or is that not supported yet?

15. Shawn Hopkins

Best bet is just to try it and see.

I can log in straight from Safari. I could log in, but I could not get it to work on the iPad version of Google Chrome or another browser I tried, though. Don't know why.

I think the biggest problem with thing now is that it goes nuts if you touch the wrong space or shift the orientation of the tablet. I was reading Captain America 100 on it and it kept doing things that would shrink the comic smaller and smaller, until it was just a tiny box in the middle of the screen that I had to constantly zoom in. Locking my iPad's orientation seemed to help a little bit, but I still had problems. Still, its a beta, so hopefully those issues will be fixed.

16. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Yeah, I tried doing it on my Kindle Fire's default browser and a third-party one and I got the prompt to try the new reader, but it would just send me to the individual comic's page instead of the comic itself. I didn't get the prompt today when reading comics on my laptop though, maybe because I've had my tabs open and I've been logged in for awhile. Also, in addition to the kink's with the reader, hopefully the UI for simply searching and selecting comics gets an overhaul too. It's never been great on my laptop and it's a real hassle on my Kindle.

17. Shawn Hopkins

Yes, the search and selection UI is awful. It's set up in a way that requires you to repeat every tedious action and search as often as possible. Plus it's tiny and terrible for tablets.

18. wonderfly

That occurred for me as well with a few comics I clicked on: instead of opening up the comic, it took me to that comic's individual page on Marvel....yet another occasional glitch, it would seem.

19. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Ah, I guess it would be worth it to try more issues then. I was too tired last night to really bother with it. I guess I'll just try some other stuff I'm reading.

20. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to post some impressions. Pretty light ones, barely impressions. It's smoother on my laptop now, but I REALLY miss the old panel view. I can barely read the text on the smart panels here and even then I have to go into fullscreen mode. I liked reading comics while doing other things so being able to use a tab was nice. As for running it on my Kindle Fire, I cannot. I found out that problem I was having prior was an isolated incident as that particular comic (New Avengers Vol. 2 #8) doesn't seem to work right on my laptop either, but I still can't read other comics...