1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Studios' The Avengers" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Spideyzilla, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Downey Jr., Favreau & Cheadle Suit Up for The Avengers!

Source: Marvel Entertainment
    October 28, 2008

[​IMG]Marvel Studios has sent out the following two-part production update for Iron Man 2 and The Avengers!

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS' THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2

As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.

Academy Award® nominee Downey was most recently seen in the summer comedy blockbuster TROPIC THUNDER starring opposite Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Before Iron Man, he was best known for his film roles in KISS KISS BANG BANG, WONDER BOYS and CHAPLIN, the film for which he was nominated for an Oscar®.

In addition to directing the first IRON MAN, Favreau has previously directed ELF, ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE and MADE. He is also well known for writing and starring in SWINGERS. He will next be seen acting in FOUR CHRISTMASES, I LOVE YOU MAN and COUPLES RETREAT.

DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2

Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel's IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.

Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.

Cheadle is best known for his Oscar® nominated lead performance in HOTEL RWANDA as well as his role as Basher Tarr in the OCEAN'S franchise, CRASH and SWORDFISH.

Based on Marvel's iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer's box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Cheadle is represented by UTA. Downey and Favreau are represented by CAA.

2. Mala Loba

Mala Loba constantly bored.

My dad will be excited to hear this. He's been asking me about The Avengers movie and the Iron Man sequal for ages now.

3. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

I still don't get why Howard's not coming back.

4. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

He wanted to focus on amusical career, or something to that effect. That and money

5. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Actually Howard was surprised by his removal and doesn't seem to know why he was remove.

6. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Huh. I heard about the money thing first, then I heard it was because he wanted to focus on music. Wierd.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's sounding good, but I liked Terrence Howard's Rhody... :(

8. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

Yeah, I liked Terrence Howard too. I hope Cheadle can be just as good.

9. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

They're going to recast Rhodey? I hate it when movies recast characters. :mad:

10. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

All Marvel has to do is get Edward Norton on broad.

11. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I really hope so. Norton said he hasn't heard anything, back in September. But, I'm guessing Downey didn't as well. But, the producer of TIH says he has a multi picture deal,so we'll see. Also, recasting two people would be confusing.

12. Arkaron

Arkaron Member

Did The Incredible Hulk count in Downey's deal? If so, does this mean we have no chance to see him in Thor?

I also hope Norton will be back for The Avengers. I really liked him in The Incredible Hulk.

13. Philo & Gunge

Philo & Gunge brb lunch

I don't think so, as The Incredible Hulk was a 100% Universal production over Paramount, which did nothing with TIH.

But yay! Avengers! :)

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Would you rather they had sent the character off to Iraq and killed him off? :p

Seriously, while Terrance Howard did a credible job in the first movie, but I don't really care about the character of Rhodey, so the recasting his doesn't really bother me. (In fact, I'm never bugged by recasting as long the replacement can act.) Cheadle's a decent actor; he should fill the bill nicely.

15. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

I will admit that there was something about Howard's high pitched voice that bugged me a little in Iron Man, but for me, an actor or actress becomes the character and simply switching to a new person doesn't sit well with me. What makes it even worse is that Howard was just as surprised as the fans by his exclusion.

On the broader topic of recasts in general, I can understand the necessity of it for remakes that are happening a couple decades after the original movie, but this isn't one of those cases. To be honest, I don't always care for recasts on remakes either. I mean, who here would want to see them make a remake of the Original Trilogy of Star Wars with, oh I don't know, Ashton Kutcher as Han Solo? :p I suppose some are now thinking, "Well, Harrison Ford couldn't do a remake, he's too old!" You would be correct...and my reply would be, then don't make the remake. ;)

However, to show that I'm not totally prejudiced against recasts, I will say that I'm still interested in the new Star Trek movie that's coming out, and that has nothing but recasts (unless you count whatever role Leonard Nimoy is going to have).

So where does that leave us? I honestly don't know. But I'm still disappointed that they recast Rhodey. :p

16. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Member

Howard I think wanted more money.
    Sadly, I can't picture Cheadle in an action film.
    He is more of a dramatic actor.
    Then, so is Howard notice Crash!

17. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Alright Downey in Avengers I'm glad of this :D

18. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

TIH was not a Universal Picture nor was Iron Man a Paramount Picture. Marvel no longer needs a studio to make movies for them. They just need distributors. This all started with Iron Man, their first independent movie. So, it is likely that TIH would count as part of Downey's contract since Marvel is the one making the movies.

19. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers

Source: MTV
    November 25, 2008

MTV has an interesting interview with Robert Downey Jr. in which he talks about the fact that Marvel Studios will have to work hard on getting The Avengers movie right with so many characters involved. But this quote is the one that got us...

"The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is [director] Jon [Favreau] was very certain that 'Iron Man' should be set in a very realistic world. Nothing that happened in 'Iron Man' is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants it warrants much further discussion."

Interesting, very interesting! The movie doesn't hit theaters until July 15, 2011.

20. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

I think Thor from the Ultimates was a good way to do a "realistic" version of the character; at least at the beginning (I haven't kept up with the book), you didn't know if he was telling the truth that he was a Norse god or was just telling a story to justify his powers. I think that's the only tact that'd work in a movie like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.