1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Studios' Marvel One-Shot" Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by dmxx116, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

"All Hail The King" Easter eggs so far (will update as I find more)
    1. Short starts with a quote from King Lear, whom Aldrich Killian said Trevor Slattery portrayed
    2. In the comics, Jackson Norriss was a member of S.H.I.E.L.D. and an associate of The Defenders who have recently been confirmed to appear in the Netflix series.
    3. The NSA footage of the Mandarin gives a date to the footage reused from the ~8:06 mark in Iron Man 3 - April 2, 2011 15:09:04:15
    4. The names above prison cells refer to Marvel characters. Guido Carboni and Luis Allegre are part of the Maggia crime syndicate in the Marvel Universe. It is worthy to note that Allegre is a member of the Costa Family, in the comics they murdered Frank Castle’s family.
    5. The short takes place in Seagate Prison. In the comics, it is a maximum security prison off Georgia coast and notable for holding Luke Cage who has recently been confirmed to appear in the Netflix series.
    6. While asking who to eat lunch with, he mentions Nonces - British slang for sex offenders
    7. Herman mentions Trevor turned down a 60 Minutes exclusive to which Trevor declares he did so because he will never work for CBS again, setting up a later reveal
    8. The inmate who asks Trevor to do his Mandarin voice is Fletcher Heggs. In the comics, he was Knight - who worked for Obidiah Stane. If you looks closely at Heggs' tattoo, it's of a chess pawn.
    9. Trevor does one of his Mandarin lines from the ~09:23 mark of Iron Man 3, "You'll never see me coming."
    10. Norriss' watch is a Casio Data Bank calculator watch
    11. Trevor admits he misses Ketamine, a general anesthetic
    12. Trevor admits he misses 'the birds', his term for women which he coined in Iron Man 3 at 1:15:48 mark when Tony confronts him
    13. Herman hands Trevor a Budweiser, which appeared to be his preferred drink in Iron Man 3
    14. Norriss refers to Aldrich Killian and alludes to A.I.M. as "his think tank"
    15. Norriss mentions getting a photo from the Liverpool Echo, an actual newspaper
    16. The photo of Trevor and his mother is in front of the Royal Court Theatre in Sloan Square, London.
    17. Trevor mentions his first role was for Shakespeare's Tempest, Boatswain 1.
    18. The title of Trevor Slattery's CBS show, "Caged Heat," was the code name for Iron Man 3 during production.
    19. Trevor drives a 320 GTS
    20. An actress credited in the "Caged Heat" pilot is Priscilla Everhart. Perhaps she is the mother is Christine Everhart from Iron Man and Iron Man 2.
    21. The criminals wearing tracksuit in the "Caged Heat" pilot are based off Hawkeye villains called the Tracksuit Draculas as a thank you from Drew Pearce to Matt Fraction for some ideas used in Iron Man 3
    22. One of the actors credited in the "Caged Heat" pilot is Rick Hawkins. This was the name of a character Iron Man 3 director Shane Black portrayed in the 1987 film "Predator"
    23. The vodka drinking monkey is Crystal from The Hangover II
    24. Mike Post is credited with music for the "Caged Heat" pilot. He is an award winning composer best known for his TV theme songs for shows like Law & Order, NYPD Blue, The Rockford Files, L.A. Law, Quantum Leap, Magnum, P.I. and Hill Street Blues.
    25. Trevor tells an anecdote about Sean Connery
    26. Among Norriss' files of the Ten Rings, there is a photo of Raza from the first Iron Man movie
    27. It is "re-confirmed" there is a real The Mandarin
    28. A map of Europe is shown with Caria and Lydia circled in red with 1412 written
    29. Trevor mentions Googling himself
    30. Trevor exclaims people keep pointing guns at him, a nod to Iron Man 3 when Tony and Rhodes held guns to him
    31. Justin Hammer is an inmate at Seagate, this is the first time he's been seen since the end of Iron Man 2
    32. Justin Hammer refers to Pepper Potts and reads a Forbes magazine featuring her new role as CEO of Stark Industries
    33. In Iron Man 3, Savin read a copy of the same issue of Forbes magazine
    34. The milk brand is Driftwood Dairy, an actual company
    35. Justin Hammer refers to his Hammer Drones
    36. Justin cracks a joke that Trevor is the love child of Osama bin Laden and Benny Hill
    37. Justin mentions Tony Stark, and is still delusional about their relationship
    38. The structure of the short loosely follows an Iron Man comic story titled "Mandarin: The Story of My Life", where the Mandarin tells a filmmaker his life story.

#81 Yojimbo, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

That's surprising Rockwell returned. I kinda wish they would get Abomination or Leader back.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

lol, I was just thinking one of them should the short in the Captain America: The Winter Soldier Blu-Ray since Iron Man 3 was Agent Carter, a Cap theme, and Trevor Slattery from Iron Man in Thor: The Dark World. Hulk-centric one should be next. :D

4. the greenman

I get the feeling they're distancing themselves from Incredible Hulk like WB is Green Lantern. Except more because of the Norton situation rather than critical or B.O. success.

But neglecting the characters of Hulk's mythology is sad. You have everyone from Betty Ross, Doc Samson, and Rick Jones to explore.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Watched it again. Still so funny the second time.

I hate to digress but huh? How so? I recall they were really happy with the responses to Hulk in The Avengers. Plus, Hulk has his own animated series.

6. the greenman

Yeah, post Avengers is one thing, but they haven't found a way to do a Hulk solo yet. I think they are over thinking it, and since Incredible Hulk barely made its budget back, they are slowly putting a sequel in motion. They really are struggling much like character between serving two masters of the actor or the beast. Screen time is needed for both, but audiences want a healthy dose of Ruffalo but enough action with CGI Hulk. Now IH did a terrific balance evenly giving us what we all wanted, but I personally think MARVEL wants to give Ruffalo more screentime.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at least just recently revealed what happened to Blonsky/Abomination so that's something :).

Neat to see Hammer again, since he's the only member of Iron Man's MCU rogues gallery that's actually alive. And no, I don't count Trevor :sweat:.

So there's a real Mandarin, huh? I have to wonder whether this was planned from the beginning or if it's just a boon to fans who didn't like the twist. Which, admittedly, includes myself :p.

Though with no new Iron Man movie on the horizon I don't expect that plot point to ever get re-addressed, so for all intents and purposes Killian is still meant to be the MCU Mandarin.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think there's anything wrong with more Ruffalo than Hulk. IM3 worked wonders focusing mainly on Tony than Iron Man, imo.

Supposedly it was the plan from the start but the point about A.I.M. co-opting the name wasn't executed very well. Mandarin, depending on how he's interpreted, has the chops to be a villain in an Avengers movie, imo.

9. the greenman

Ruffalo is not on the Box office level of Downey and MARVEL knows that. So people will still want more HULK SMASH! They have a barometer by now of how much the parts rather than the sum (Avengers) can make. I think about 3it quarter of a billion.

10. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I'd like to see Ruffalo 'guest star' in some other films, not necessarily team-ups, if he isn't going to get his own movie. It's perfectly acceptable for Marvel to be a bit shrewd with the Hulk, but I think it's possible still develop Banner as a supporting character. Heck, maybe Bucky's serum was poorly done and he's dying, so Banner is brought in to help bring the Buckster back to health and fix the issues with his super soldier cells? That'd be a neat idea for the third Captain America: after the moral defeat suffered in The Winter Soldier give Steve a quest, something to drive him to desperately hold onto that American dream and have a dying Bucky and a redemption-seeking Bruce tie into that. "Bruce Banner can save a life, just like the Hulk!" is something I think Banner would struggle with.

The return of Hammer was a lot of fun. Hail to the King is a really nice, really fun way to dip back into the Marvel universe without having to worry about working around the schedules of big-name actors or complex special effects post-production. I really hope these one-shots can continue this level of excellence, especially because Agents of Shield needs to be able to do its own thing without feeling the need to also dip into the pool of characters we see in the films. Sif not withstanding at this point, I guess.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can definitely see the real Mandarin, with his ten rings, as an Avengers level threat. And with Iron Man and Cap as the kinda main heroes of the ensemble cast, I would be fine with Mandarin getting his due in an Avengers movie. So long as Iron Man is the one who gets to finish him off this time :sweat:.

Ideally, I'd like a balanced Hulk movie, since at least in my view, Banner and Hulk are two different characters. So I wouldn't want one to necessarily rule over the other or get precedent in terms of screentime, and that both get their due in the films. Which I honestly thought The Incredible Hulk handled well enough.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Guess we'll have to disagree. They don't always go after A listers to be the lead of a MCU movie.

That's a cool story idea, Jacob. I would get a kick if they brought Ruffalo in as a guest star in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as a consultant but dance around not using Hulk with a strong script. I would take a One Shot with just Banner, too.

It is interesting to note, All Hail The King was the first short that had nothing to do with S.H.I.E.L.D. and as much as I like seeing its history explored, focusing on other characters like Trevor Slattery while expanding in back story, plots, new characters and the like, is equally gratifying. Using supporting cast as jumping pads has seemed to be a successful model for the One-Shots.

Yeah.

Me, too. I remember at the time I then made the "mistake" of reading up on behind the scenes production and other news and was shocked.

13. the greenman

Well, Yojimbo, the problem is that Feige said he cannot allow a Hulk film where CGI Hulk is in 80% and and Banner is in 20%. Also I doubt SAG would even allow that unless they make a MOCAP argument against this. Feige said in the same interview that doing an all Banner film is not what the audience wants.

14. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Shocked by what?

The 80/20 rule doesn't make sense. Gotta think we won't get 20% Grimm in the FF movie, definitely not in a sequel.

James Spader won't be Ultron only 80% of the time.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Just the stuff between Norton and the studio.

16. the greenman

7/1/15: Well, Feige gives us kinda an explanation on what's going on with the One-Shots:

http://collider.com/marvel-one-shots-kevin-feige-provides-update/

10/23: For those completists, Marvel are releasing these on blu-ray with commentaries:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-studios-releases-phase-2-box-set-photos-details

• Informative Informative x 1
    #96 the greenman, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

3/17/16: The One-Shots could come back as online content around the time of Infinity Wars.
    Yes, please.

6/28/17: More food for thought, Tom Holland mentions he thinks they're planning more One-Shot shorts.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Holland knows about it because Spider-Man might appear in the one-shots, or be involved...?

• Agree Agree x 1