1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel on Netflix" General News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The following press details have been released by Marvel Entertainment:

General News
    Filming: Summer 2014 in New York
    Sources: Newsarama 2/26/14,

Daredevil
    Steven DeKnight: Executive Producer
    Starring: Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Rosario Dawson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Ayelet Zurer, and Bob Gunton
    Release Date: April 10, 2015

Jessica Jones
    Melissa Rosenberg: Writer and Executive Producer
    Starring: Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter, David Tennant, Rachael Taylor, Carrie-Anne Moss, Eka Darville, Erin Moriarty, and Wil Traval
    Release Date: 2015
    Sources: Deadline 11/12/13, Newsarama 12/22/14,

Info on TV pitch that might not be valid anymore: Principal cast includes Luke Cage and Carol Danvers. Villains include Purple Man. Pilot includes Tony Stark and Stark Industries
    Sources: io9 11/17/11, Hit Fix 11/16/11, iamRogue 11/9/11, io9 12/17/10, CBR 5/15/12, CBM 1/11/13,

Luke Cage
    Cheo Hodari Coker: Writer and Executive Producer
    Starring Mike Colter
    Release Date: 2016
    Sources: Newsarama 3/31/15,

Iron Fist

Defenders

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I love this deal. Netflix's previous agreement with Netflix works perfectly with this without the constraints of being on network TV where it may not get the attention it needs. I wouldn't want any of these shows to languish on ABC Family or even normal ABC where audiences are way too fickle. The idea of all of them following an Avengers-like path to a Defenders miniseries is really cool too. I hope this works out for them.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I love the idea of having four separate series that culminate in an event-type thing...but I wish it wasn't Netflix. Welp, I guess I'll wait for the DVDs.

4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I love this. You can do Cage and Jones now without having to worry about the TV censors.

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Looks like Netflix is advancing with this whole "We're an online TV network - not just a rental store" thing.

I like it, and I wonder if it's going to be set in the same universe as Iron Man/Avengers/Etc....

6. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

This is awesome news. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that these series are all part of the MCU. I mean, there probably won't be more than a few references to the rest of the MCU, as is the case with Agents of SHIELD, but it only makes sense for them to be in the same universe.

But yeah. None of these characters can support, say, a feature film, or even a network drama series where it's just so hard to find an audience and hold it (look at the hell of a time Agents of SHIELD is having). It's so hard to plan long-term when you're constantly fending off the threat of cancellation. Netflix is the perfect platform for it, because you get all those hardcore Internet fans in there, you don't face any of the restrictions of being on TV so the episodes can be as long or as short as you want, and you can tell the story you want to tell. And the fact that they culminate in a sort of mini-Avengers just makes it even cooler. Plus Netflix is great for serial dramas because you can catch up so easily.

Just great news all around, really looking forward to this.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is all great news! If this works out, maybe they can produce mini-series based on other Marvel properties, like She-Hulk, Runaways, Power Pack, and more!

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I just felt a little giddy reading an email about this. DD, Alias, Cage and Fist are all Marvel properties that I thought would make for excellent series and now they'll actually doing them. After feeling lukewarm about Agents of Shield, I needed this. I'm pretty ecstatic that these characters are also not being back burnered on this front anymore. The only thing that could dampen my enthusiasm is knowing that Jeph Loeb is involved but I just have to hope that this will turn out great.

9. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Awesome but why the Defenders? Why not Heroes For Hire? I know 3 of the 4 heroes mention were Defenders but Heroes For Hire is the name Cage and Iron Fist are mostly associated with. Did some one else have tv trademark for that?

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd guess they wanted something similar to the Avengers, and Heroes for Hire had a different vibe. I think Defenders works for a street level team like this though. It's probably better than The Champions.

11. RoryWilliams

Well, the synopsis said something about them being self-sacrificing heroes and that doesn't really work if they expect to be paid for helping people. And I certainly can't imagine someone like Daredevil being part of a group where they basic premise is that they protect the innocent...just so long as they pay up first.

12. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Now this is some fantastic news to come back to! But I wonder if Dr. Strange might make a cameo since he's always been a mainstay of The Defenders.

13. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

My question is: Will they upload all 13 episodes of Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Etc at one time, or release them one at a time (like a weekly series)?

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Well for every Netflix original so far, it's been an all-at-once situation. Things may be different for this case, but we won't know until they make some more information available.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They'll likely release all the episodes of one series, but probably not all four series at once.
    It's nice that Jessica Jones is finally getting her series.

16. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I kinda like this idea, but I tread carefully as I don't really care for Agents of SHIELD. I am also not cool with them using the name Defenders but not the concept. That was a team meant to take on supernatural threats and really they were just forced to work as opposed to the Avengers where they had a heroic purpose. The elephant in the room for me is Blade and Cloak and Dagger missing.

17. RoryWilliams

The Defenders are a relatively obscure property so they really don't have to worry about that.

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

This is an interesting turn of events, but I do concur with approaching it cautiously. I do find it interesting that these five-ish shows appear to be planned out, though I have to wonder if Whedon is the proverbial umbrella in which these titles are being formed. Hopefully these shows won't just feel like Marvel's The Avengers and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D light.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well this is interesting news, and I'm very interested to see where they take this, especially with Daredevil and Iron Fist.

Though I think the New Avengers would be a more appropriate moniker than the Defenders, at least with this roster.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Holy smokes! I love this news even though I have little understanding of what Netflix entails (I know, I know, been under a rock). This definitely feels structure like a miniature Phase 1 of the MCU with individual movies that lead up to the team movie. In terms of the four characters, I'm just happy to see four familiar names that have been batted around for years and one that returned to the fold. And choosing a 'grounded' setting like Hell's Kitchen? It'll be cool seeing a more... isolated story I guess to put it. No aliens, no outer dimensions, no magic. Very excited!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.