1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers (Anime Series)" News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, and the Guardians as well...a part of me would think they'd get their current animation VA's back (Will Friedle, David Sobolov etc.) but most of them don't have dubbing experience like, say, most of the current Avengers cast do.

I wonder who the voice director for this might end up being? Same as the Marvel Anime's?

2. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Will Friedle has done a small amount of dubbing, but no one else in the Guardians cast has done that. Then again Drake Bell's anime dubbing experience is zero and they brought him back for Spidey, so who knows? I suspect Adrian Pasdar's and Troy Baker's absences will prove more of an exception to the rule for this.

As for the voice director . . . Jamie Simone did a lot of the directing for the anime but Mary Elizabeth McGlynn took over for Blade. The voice direction for the anime had a lot of issues, so I would hope they find someone more comfortable with anime dubbing than Simone (who has a good track record with pre-lay, but a sloppy one with dubbing).

• Informative Informative x 1
    #442 macattack, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I just wish they start streaming the English dub online on the Disney XD website. The dub is already airing in Maylasia, so they might as well start streaming it on their websites before someone starts illegally uploading the dub episodes online.

4. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was thinking about how Disney and Marvel would release this in the U.S., and Netflix might be the best outlet for it IMO. That is because no matter what, there are going to be those who want the original Japanese version with subtitles. What was recently done with another Disney foreign language show, Violetta, releasing both an English dub and subtitled version, would work on Netflix, and satisfy fans. Of course, they already have a popular Marvel show, Daredevil on Netflix, and this would help Marvel build their brand even further on Netflix should they release this series IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know why everyone appears to like this show more than any of the three Disney XD Marvel shows. I've thought about checking it out.

6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Maybe it;s because it's actually a much better written story, has more diversity in the cast of heroes and villains, and follows a straight forward narrative?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It has an arc featuring the X-Men for one. When was the last time we last saw any of them in animation ;)?

It also has a much wider range of characters from the MU, both in terms of heroes and villains, than the current cartoons do :cool:.

And two female main characters! That's something right :p?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I'll read more about Disk Wars and maybe check out the first episode. I'm normally not a fan of shows with kid sidekicks, (I'm looking at you Unicron Trilogy), so that could make or break the show for me.

At the same time, I'm not as forgiving towards anime as a vast majority of people are.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, the Unicron Trilogy...so long as none of the kids are as bad as Kicker was, I probably won't have too big a problem with them :).

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Just curious if anyone has been able to watch these (the dub I mean). They have been airing right? I really would've thought we would've heard something by now, if not at Comic Con.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly we, or at least I, haven't heard anything about the dub since we saw those clips a while back. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if Wacker's not really aware of what the plans are for Disk Wars since that was before he was even part of Marvel Animation or in directing this kind of stuff.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would really suck, especially considering that they've given Doraemon and Yo-Kai Watch decent to good promotion before airing them :(.

And to be fair, Loeb's gone and Wacker's in charge, and he seems to be steering Marvel Animation in a far better direction then Loeb ever did. Though from what I've heard of Ike Perlmutter, I would not mind seeing him leave Marvel as soon as possible :mad:.

I don't think we'll ever see people stop comparing current works to, say, EMH or Spectacular, or any past comic book cartoons. Sometimes it's people genuinely just ragging on the shows just to rag on them, other times it's down to just personal preference, and objectively maybe past cartoons were better or more true to characters then others. Maybe people will enjoy Disk Wars more than the current Marvel cartoons, or like what they did in one show over the other, but for the most part I expect that to come down to preference unless they want to just join in on the "hating on Marvel cartoons" bandwagon without any solid reasons :rolleyes:.

In any case, fans will usually always find something to complain about or nitpick, so what's important is for people to just like what they like and understand that people having different opinions doesn't devalue their opinion :).

I kinda wish we at least had a voice cast announced by now so we knew who was in the cast besides the male Avengers VA's reprising their roles (aside from Adrian Pasdar) and Crispin Freeman as Loki. I'm still really curious to see who they get for Wasp.

13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Loeb isn't gone. He (along with Quesada) is still the top dog at Marvel Animation. I said it before, and I'll keep saying it until they are no longer calling the shots, Loeb and Quesada are the MAIN reason (but most likely not the sole reason) why current Marvel Animation (with a few exceptions) is terrible.

That's a question I would also like to know the answer to. I want to watch these in English, not read English subs.

#453 spyke, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. Thought he had completely moved over to the live-action department....

15. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

He is the head of Marvel TV, which includes both live action and animated TV programs (including direct to DVD animated movies).

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Not sure I understand the mindset because some VA's haven't done anime dubbing before, they can't do it here. Especially if it's a Marvel series.