"Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers (Anime Series)" News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 23, 2013.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Marvel Entertainment has just issued the following press release concerning an upcoming anime endeavor. Scroll down for images and official details.

Walt Disney Japan Announces Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers
    Marvel's First Animated TV Series For Boys Produced In Japan

[​IMG]

Meguro-ku, Tokyo - The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. announced today that it will produce the first Japanese Marvel animated television series targeted at boys. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers is based on Marvel's most popular team of Super Heroes, The Avengers and will premiere nationwide on terrestrial television in spring 2014.

Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will be produced by Nerima-ku, Tokyo-based Toei Animation Co., Ltd., which has produced multiple successful animated series for kids in Japan. Taito-ku, Tokyo-based Bandai Co., Ltd., which has a highly successful track record with major titles, will be responsible for character merchandising. The three companies will collaborate in creating a fully localized Japanese series as well as providing a lineup of attractive products and merchandise targeting the boys market.

The story will revolve around how The Avengers - Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk together with the help of Spider-Man and a group of teens, will harness their respective fighting skills and superhuman powers to foil Loki's scheme to take over the world. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will target boys in the 6-12 age group.

Walt Disney Japan, through its local content strategy - delivering content tailored to meet the needs of local consumers -”is actively localizing content to fit the tastes and sensibilities of Japanese audiences. Though the company has produced and broadcast several localized programs, from the animated short-form series Fireball in 2008, Disney's first animated series produced entirely in Japan, to Stitch!, which stars the popular Disney character with a change of setting from Hawaii to Okinawa. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will be its first animated television series specifically targeted at boys and will delight Japanese viewers with an entirely new action-packed storyline that unfolds before their eyes in a high quality 2D animated format. Most recently, this Super Hero team was seen in the 2012 live-action movie, Marvel's The Avengers, with a world-wide box office revenue that exceeded $1.5 billion and was the third-top grossing film of all time.

Through this collaboration, Marvel, Walt Disney Japan, Japan's top animation studio Toei Animation, and character merchandising leader Bandai will together leverage their respective strengths to deliver a television series for nationwide broadcast and a range of merchandise that is sure to breathe new life into the boys market in Japan.

2013 MARVEL
    Basic information

Title: Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers
    Original title from: Marvel Comics
    Category: Action/Adventure
    Target audience: Boys 6-12 (core target 8-10)
    Produced by: The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd.

Synopsis
    In an all out battle instigated by Loki, most of Earth's super heroes and villains have been trapped inside disks - ”a new technology originally developed as portable security devices for capturing and securing villains around the world.

The Avengers team up with a group of teens to reclaim the scattered disk, and using their special abilities and techniques (waza), thwart Loki's evil schemes to save the Earth from ultimate destruction.

About Walt Disney Japan
    The Walt Disney Company established a commercial presence in the Japanese market with the founding of a local subsidiary in 1959. In April 2004, it took control of Disney's business interests in Japan (except Tokyo Disney Resort) with the integration all local subsidiaries and affiliates and renaming itself The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. Today WDCJ is involved in a diverse range of businesses in Japan, operating in five core segments - Media Networks, Parks & Resorts, Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products, and Interactive Group - under an organization mirroring that of its U.S.-based parent. Disney acquired CG animation leader Pixar in May 2006, Marvel Entertainment in December 2009, and Lucasfilm (known for the Star Wars movies) in December 2012. Today Disney manages a varied portfolio of brands from Disney, Disney/Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm.

About Marvel Entertainment
    Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing. For more information visit marvel.com.

2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Active Member

It's like Avengers meets Digimon.

3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Well, Toei does know how to do superheroes. They're responsible for the Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Sailor Moon.
    Also I was wondering when we'd hear about this project again! A Toei/Marvel collaboration was mentioned a few years ago and then nothing else came of it.

4. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

If we're lucky...oh man. If we're lucky...Tate Naoki, Shida Naotoshi, Tomita Yoshikazu, Oonishi Ryou and other Toei aces could work on this show.

Of course, we're never lucky so expect terrible animation!

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I never imagined a toyetic anime would being based around Marvel characters. Those have never been my type of show though, so I don't think that something like this would catch my interest. It is interesting that they're working with Toei instead of Madhouse though.

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

More like Marvel Rancher.

7. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I do find it hilarious Toei Animation got this license. Toei has more projects in production than a half dozen studios combined it seems like. One Piece, Saint Seiya Omega, Toriko, Pretty Cure, the 2014 Sailor Moon series, Kyou-sougiga, and Driland, all weekly series. This is to say nothing of how many other side projects they have in the works, like commercials, movies, TV specials, and video game cut scenes. Of course, with the record profits they continually bring in I guess they can afford outsourcing to other studios to help alleviate. I wonder if the majority of the work here will go to Toei Animation Philippines?

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I didnt see this coming.

My initial reaction was excitement. I love anime, and I love Avengers, so...

But the plot summary doesn't sound awesome, and I don't like how they're aiming younger. Weren't the other Marvel anime pretty much aimed at adults, AKA Seinen?

On the other hand, its cool that Wasp and Spider-Man will appear, and Loki fans should be pleased that hes here.

Since G4 is gone, I assume this will air on Disney XD, since this show will be aimed at kids anyway.

9. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

Since we have a press release to go with this, I wonder if Disney is already at work localizing this.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Good move. The Avengers did very well in Asia. This is a good way to market the property overseas. Cap's design looks...interesting.

11. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

None of which did well in Japan, if I remember.

12. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

In case anyone wants to do some future research on this project the Katakana spelling is ディスク・ウォーズ:アベンジャーズ

EDIT:

None of them did not suck. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I think that is the reason why this one is toyetic, because even if ratings are low, Bandai's merchandise could help.

14. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Also, Toei has worked with Marvel in the past (the Japanese Spiderman series, an animated adaptation of The Tomb of Dracula).

15. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Oh boy.........like we don't have enough similar stories like Digimon, Pokemon Yugioh, Beyblade now we are getting this with the Marvel characters, not to mention adding kids in the mix, reminds me when Warner wanted Bruce Timm to make the Justice League where they have the sidekicks on their sides so kids can relate to them........I will give it a try, might end well better then Avengers Assemble but not having high hopes for this.

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting another Marvel anime anytime soon. Let alone a new one animated by Toei.

I've always personally enjoyed toyetic anime so I'll probably like this. I doubt it'll be as enjoyable as Gundam Build Fighters currently is, but I'm hoping it'll still be some nice fun.

Well, we finally have Spider-Man in an anime :sweat:. I'm also surprised Wasp is in it too.

I wonder who'll they'll get in terms of the seiyuu's? Keiji Fujiwara is likely to come back as Iron Man. I could also see them using Cap, Hulk, Thor, and Loki's dub voices from the MCU movies. I'm very interested to see who they get for Spidey and Wasp.

17. macattack

macattack I see you!

Well, this was unexpected.

I find it greatly amusing there are more female characters in that one picture than have appeared in the three Marvel Animation series that are running on Disney XD right now.

Also kind of surprised that Toei's the one working on this. Unless the new Sailor Moon comes out looking and sounding REALLY good I'm not getting my hopes up. QUALITY is something that happens a lot with Toei, even Toei's big-bucks short for Halo Legends was lacking in the visuals department (though it was hilarious for the right reasons, as it was a self-deprecating parody of the Halo franchise).

Though yes, at least we finally have Spider-Man in an anime indeed. :sweat:

At least all of the most recent voice actors in the current Marvel Animation cartoons minus Drake Bell have experience in anime. Roger Craig Smith, Colleen O'Slaughnessey (if they wanted to bring her back), Fred Tatasciore, Travis Willingham, and even Adrian Pasdar (in the Iron Man anime) have done anime dubbing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

I've noticed there are some out there who are saying Marvel's Avengers Assemble will be cancelled in favor in favor of this show on Disney XD. There is a huge problem with that, and it because of this term: master toy licensee. Unlike Power Rangers and Digimon, where Bandai is master toy licensee on both sides of the Pacific Ocean, here, it is Hasbro that that holds master toy licensee status for Marvel toys. The two companies are big rivals. Ironically, the first of Toei's "Super" Sentai series, 1979's Battle Fever J, was supposed to be based on The Avengers. It also sounds to me like they're using concepts that have worked for other Toei Animation shows in the past, like Digimon Adventure for this show, to help it succeed.

19. suss2it

suss2it New Member

This seems like it came outta nowhere, but I'll give it a try nonetheless. I'm surprised they didn't go with the complete movie roster, but they did put the most popular ones, plus their most popular solo hero (Spider-Man) in this, so who knows.

20. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

The concept sounds so wacky, and yet I'd find it hilarious if it turns out to be better than the current animated lineup. I'm very surprised at the lineup. Yay Wasp!

I'm just sad that Tatsunoko crossover never happened.