1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could definitely see Warlock holding his own movie depending on how much they address with him in Vol. 3, and his whole story with the Magus and his journey as a hero would be one psychedelic and trippy movie :p.

It's kind of interesting to think which, if any, of the current Guardians could hold their own spinoff movie without the rest of the team. I mean, we have that with the Avengers more or less, but I'm wondering if that could work with the Cosmic team :ack:.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Rocket & Groot I can definitely see. Nebula and Gamora could work. A Star-Lord solo I could see. Drax... not so much. Like Hulk and Black Widow, he's more likely to guest in the others' movies. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Rocket & Groot is the first one I thought of besides a Nova film. Other than that, it seems very hard to make a list of possible MCU films in light of the rights restrictions.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There's also the fact that they might want to be careful who they give solo films too because it could really bulk up their movie slate on-top of all the other characters with movies and expected sequels :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I almost pity the Disney/Marvel lawyers who have to check for all the rights restrictions.

We're kind of seeing it already. It's a balance of how many Cosmic vs how many Earth movies a year and in addition, how many new solo movies vs how many returning movies a year. This year it's 2 cosmic vs. 1 Earth movie and 1 new solo vs 2 returning. Next year, 2 Earth and 2 that could be both and 2 new solo and 2 returning. 2019 is still nebulous - if they're only doing 2 or going up to 3 or 4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I always feel bad for the directors who want to use a character only to learn Marvel Studios doesn't actually have the rights to them :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if that might hurt Vance Astro's chances of showing up :sweat:?

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They would likely alter his origin story little like perhaps have that Project: Starjump take place in the present and/or he gets kidnapped by the Badoon during his expedition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I have a suspicion that his rights fall under Fox either because he was a mutant or his backstory was fully revealed in Fantastic Four.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Reported that Watts specifically reached out to Glover to play Aaron Davis in Homecoming and it was in part because of a rumored Miles Morales spin off. If Glover turned down the role, Watts said he wasn't going to include Davis in Homecoming.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We've only gotten two movies out of the new Spider-Man and they're already thinking of making a spinoff with a completely different one :sweat:?

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I see it more as bait and rod stuff to get the actor now but for the long run, seed things now and they could be eyeing Miles for 2023. Could happen. Could not. They just need the chess piece up on the board for planning purposes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine Watts had to run that by Feige, but I think Feige probably has long-term plans regarding developing Peter as Spider-Man so long as Holland is game to keep going, but you never know...

Of course, with all the various hands in the Spider-Man honeypot, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone has different ideas for where they expect the franchise to head in the MCU :sweat:.

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, I personally envisioned this Spider-Man in the vein of Harry Potter. The MCU connection is cool, but it can also be a be a bag on the hip.

I think the sad part is, they're really not taking this as an elongated franchise like that. Partly probably for financial reasons. Planning a trilogy is pretty easy, but I'd be disappointed if they didn't go for the longer stretch. I don't think they're that confident to plan a 7- 8 part saga. They are not making a billion per film to finance that kinda legacy. Heck even the Fast & Furious franchise is pulling a billion each.

I think they (SONY or MARVEL) need to start thinking on the long term and come up with cohesive plotting. NOT SPINOFFS! Build off of something instead of short term goals. You can tell they are off to a bad start if they'll do a Venom spin-off with no Bugle staff. That's something they could have saved for part 5 or something.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, they might have a 7-8-movie saga in mind for Spidey, but it likely includes solo movies and appearances in other Avengers films :sweat:.

Although I think with how young Tom Holland is that they can probably still get some mileage out of him even 10 years from now if Holland still wants to do it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You do know it took until the 7th Fast and the Furious movie for that franchise to make a billion per movie right? And arguably a big push for Furious 7 getting a billion+ amount was due to Paul Walker's unforunate tragic passing that was one of those accidents that they felt they needed to have that put in with his character retiring from this movie series which got so many people viewing the film but it's not one of those things that was originally planned. Honestly until Fast Five in fact these movies were only decent hits but not major blockbusters. It only took until 5 with Dwayne Johnson and super incredible overseas box office that made this a real blockbuster franchise expected to really do well.

Plus I really think that even if Marvel isn't too confident, SONY is. Because Sony honestly needs as many hits as possible and will milk Spider Man as much as possible and Marvel still wanting to use the character will do what they can to keep as much of the character and his world in their universe even if that means going past a trilogy that seemingly everyone else gets.

Though since the animated movie next year is Miles Moralies I do wonder how the MCU would deal with the character especially since they probably want to have high school Peter parker for like 3 movies so it would be awhile before we really get Miles unless they totally change the set up of the character.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, sounds like they've planned really far ahead with their cosmic side. I always enjoy space adventures, so the more the merrier.

I don't expect Nova to appear in GotG 3, but it seems like he may appear sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's great news! I'm up for more Nova Corps and for Rider to appear in the MCU. I always found Gunn's old stance on Peter being the only human in space silly since a bunch of other characters look like they could be from Earth, too.

• Agree Agree x 1