1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

A given but Gunn confirmed GoTG Vol. 3 will also function as a story that leads to other stories in the cosmic side. But hoo boy, a little apprehensive about that -- the last 'bridge' movies didn't do that well with fans (but still made bank) - IM2 and AOU...

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I can pretty much bet they're gonna push Nova in there. I can't wait to see what, if anything, happens with the Fantastic Four. Few more years and Marvel will have them. Silver Surfer solo film? Yes please!

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, hopefully Marvel's learned from their issues with those films :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hasn't it been enough a 'few more years'? lol j/k :p But really...

• Like Like x 1
  6. the greenman

It's believed after the Daredevil FOX incident, rights will revert 7 years after production. I desperately want to see them in good hands. A shame they essentially let Inhumans go. They have too many awesome characters like Dr. Doom and Galactus to waste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

6/8: Quote from exec Nate Moore on diversity
    Gunn states Adam Warlock was never going to be in Infinity War whether or not he was in Vol. 2.

6/12: Alison Brie revealed she's auditioned for a whole lot of minor roles in the past.
    6/15: Rachel Talalay, director of 1995’s Tank Girl, is interested in doing a She-Hulk movie.

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Assuming they could resolve the Hulk rights issue :sweat:.

9. the greenman

Where does it say Universal owns She-Hulk? I always assumed Marvel owns her just like Spider Woman.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe Universal only has distribution rights in perpetuity and for some reason don't want to sell it back to Disney. But at times, it seems more like they have the 'first look' clause so if a Hulk movie is being made, they have the first choice of distribution. If they decline, then another studio is free to distribute. So I think that has no bearing on what Hulk characters Disney and Marvel Studios want to use since they have the production rights.

11. the greenman

Yes, but my question is does Universal even own her? She is a separate character who was not introduced in Incredible Hulk. They shouldn't even have distribution rights to her either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel like if they were to try and market a She-Hulk movie, there would probably be some debate over whether it applies as a Hulk movie, and thus fall under Universal's purview.

• Like Like x 1
  13. the greenman

That's possible. Even though legally She-Hulk is a completely different character. She is not mild-mannered attorney Jennifer Walters, and when angered the Savage She-Hulk. The only rights that would impede on copyright violation, would be on Marvel, and Universal is not Marvel.

As a huge Hulk fan, I am angered (by the clause that Universal has there). It sucks. I do think Disney feels if they don't outright own something, nothing will get done on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

If Universal aren't interested in doing more Hulk films, then they should sell their distribution rights back to Marvel. This is the main reason why Hulk hasn't got a sequel in the MCU.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #475 AdrenalineRush1996, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed. It's a very strange predicament. They're not gaining anything and Marvel Studios moved on by including Hulk in Avengers movies and now in Thor: Ragnarok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. the greenman

Universal might be holding out for a buyout. Now if SONY were to do that with Spider-Man, it would be worth at least a couple billion. You can't say that about Incredible Hulk.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Disney made them an offer(s) because they would prefer have all the rights. I recall they did so with Paramount for example. I really would like to know what Universal sees in Hulk to be so difficult.

EDIT: Feige confirmed there are no plans for the Fantastic Four in the MCU. :/

#478 Yojimbo, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's probably the most common question he gets asked, even though the answer is always the same :(.

20. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

I really don't see Spider-Man movie rights being worth Star Wars billions at this time, especially considering what has happened the last half a decade. I would say that Sony has damaged their version of the franchise enough in e-mail scandal and lack of vision that Marvel's current work in rehabilitating the property needs to be greatly taken into account.

What I see Sony doing now is waiting to see how Homecoming does before deciding how they want to negotiate with Disney for future solo movies in the MCU. If Sony was smart, they would let Marvel and Feige handle the world-building while Sony just made experimental movies featuring villains and Black Cat. But knowing Sony, they will flood the cinema with the many Spider-People that exist (too many to count) first with Miles Morales and keep going, make Tom Holland star in non-MCU Spider-Man flicks that confuse the public and further drive the brand into the ground in the pursuit of a quick buck.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.