1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by wonderfly, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Their entire shared universe model has been flawed in that regard from the start. The movie and TV divisions are run and staffed by completely different people, and there's also a huge budget disparity between what you can do with a TV show vs. a blockbuster movie.

On one hand more references to the TV shows would be nice, but on the other, I don't really think that's the job of the people working on the movies. Joss Whedon even said when you're making a movie like Avengers, it's such a huge, stressful thing that it's really difficult to think about jamming in little easter eggs and references when there's so many more important things going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I don't know, some of the Star Trek films worked things out. One of the TNG films had the holographic doctor from the Voyager series.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Star Trek didn't have to worry about managing several movies in one year or several movies into the next year while still coordinating with the TV side of things.

4. the greenman

True, but there's still no excuse for lack of coordination. Feige clearly is not as demanding and strict a producer as he could be. He allows slack to filmmakers, while at the same time making certain storytelling throughlines. Personally, I think he should be more strict, and not allow too much slack in development. However they have proved it has worked for them, especially in terms of franchise.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe the movies don't reference the show since the show might not air in a lot of countries. These films are huge global tentpoles, and the shows just aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I think if Feige were to get more strict in terms of the films we'd start losing more directors and less would actually want to direct an MCU movie :sweat:.

That's the thing with these cinematic universe that DC and Marvel are cooking up. They have to tie into to each other in a certain way and progress the overall arc, but you still want to give some space and room for the creatives working on the movie to strut their stuff while still doing the best job for the property.

And when you're guiding the movies and all that entails, you might not have the time to coordinate or pay attention to all the stuff the TV sides are doing, especially when it's all on a completely different production schedule.

Though this makes me wonder if Feige's watched Daredevil yet :p?
    Huh, I never thought of it that way. That's an interesting idea :).

7. RoryWilliams

At least in the case of the Netflix heroes, part of it could also be a case of content.

The movies are all-ages with a very large child audience. Even when there's dark moments, there's nothing severe enough that a kid couldn't see it. The Netflix shows are very squarely aimed at adults. That might be part of the hesitance for a crossover.

The people behind the Lego Avengers game mentioned that is part of the reason why despite having the MCU movies and characters from Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD, they weren't allowed to use anyone from the Neflix shows (though the comic versions were fine). Marvel and Disney didn't want some little kid to associate Daredevil and Jessica Jones with the Avengers and then watch those shows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. the greenman

3/12:
    Honestly, this reminds me alot of how DC and Vertigo segregated for the same reasons. Though I hear they no longer are doing that, but other than Black Orchid in Brave & the Bold, we haven't specifically seen evidence of it.

3/14: RDJ says there probably won't be an Iron Man 4:

http://m.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/robert-downey-jr-doubts-there-will-be-an-iron-man-4

Interesting cause he shot himself in the foot with MARVEL by demanding higher pay. Alot of people believe thats why Feige and Marvel created the Phases when they couldn't get Downey for IM4.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #488 the greenman, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
  9. Action!

Action! Active Member

Why? The movie made over a million dollars

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

What ever happened behind the scenes, I personally don't care. What they did with it was a good compromise. Continuing certain characters' arcs in other movies while at the same time contributing to said movie's themes and also creating space for new comers to have their own movie arc and keeping things interesting for the fans. Ideally, if they kept making Iron Man and Hulk movies, it would be pretty stale after awhile and the stories would get repetitive, and they wouldn't have the flexibility in the Phase slots for their sequel, debut formula more or less. RDJ is only funny for so long and Hulk can only smash so many things over and over... I mean, I'm much more interesting in seeing Dr. Strange and Black Panther than an Iron Man 4 or The Incredible Hulk 2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. the greenman

Actually, I wouldn't mind an Incredible Hulk 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

...and I still want muh She-Hulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Yeah I would probably favor an Incredible Hulk 2 than Iron Man 4 any day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I would only be interested in Iron Man 4 if the real Mandarin appeared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. the greenman

There's still so much to explore with Banner, Hulk, and his spporting cast. There's still Betty, Rick Jones, Doc Samson, and multiple storylines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Yeah I think that would sound right for a next Hulk movie, more of the lines like the Avengers movie it could work.

17. RoryWilliams

We're probably not getting another Hulk film. Mark Ruffalo said Ragnarok and Infinity War was basically a compromise in that regard.

18. the greenman

I'm not going to completely discount another Hulk film. One of the things we have to realize is if Marvel doesn't want to reboot and start clean, then they will keep things as they are. If they do as Fox is doing by keeping things consistent in the universe, but slowly getting new characters and actors.

The only real hinderance is the Universal rights details. We don't exactly know what is going on there.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe I should have said Iron Man 8 and Hulk 6 as examples...

Anyway, Nate Moore did offer some hope for a crossover
    As an example, it was noted how Civil War was filmed before DD season 2 went into production so Moore there's that issue of:

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd personally probably welcome and enjoy an Iron Man 4, because there are some Iron Man characters/villains/love interests I'd like to see appear in live-action, but given Downey's age and how definitive an ending Iron Man 3 was, I don't see it happening anytime soon :sweat:.

But yeah, there's so much from the Hulk franchise left untapped in the movies, which is probably the biggest downside to Marvel not being willing to go through with another Hulk solo with Ruffalo :(.

Heck, I'd say there's also plenty of material still left to draw from in the Cap and Thor comics for future Cap and Thor movies if they chose to continue the movie franchises past the third movies ;).

Granted, Civil War is being setup as a definitive ending for the Cap trilogy and for Steve's arc, but there's still a lot of Cap stuff the movies haven't gotten to. Same with Thor :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.