1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

So, do the Captain America films only exist to further advance the MCU instead of being more focused on the character who's name appears in the title? Don't get me wrong, I'm down for a film adaptation of Civil War (and seeing Cap beat down Iron Man). BUT, shouldn't the solo films be focused more on the solo character and be small pieces that is part of the larger picture of the MCU, where the large scale ramifications on the MCU are shown in team up (or Avengers) movies?

2. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

It can work, as a VERY loose adaptation. I'm guessing Cap isn't happy with Tony's privatization of world security (the Avengers is under Stark now, as Agents of Shield revealed he's taking over Shield's job, so the Avengers is like his own private army. Steve doesn't think any one person should have that power, and wants the government to step in. So Civil War, without the secret identity stuff and the roles reversed. That's how I'd do it anyways. Oh, and maybe work in Cap wanting proscription for gifteds, he grew up during a draft after all.

3. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I think you're going to have to ask that question about each of the movies at this point.

4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Thor 2 was largely self-contained aside from the ending setting up Thor to rejoin the Avengers, but it also kinda sucked.

5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Yeah. But that was a year ago. There's more crossover potential in the Phase 3 movies.

6. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Maybe the Civil War will be in name only like Age of Ultron and focused on something else instead of being base of comic story.

7. RoryWilliams

I don't want there to be too much crossover if only because that can make for a less coherent story. I'm fine with some crossover potential especially in the after-credits scenes, but I really don't need something like Iron Man showing up halfway through Ant-Man to recruit him for his side or something.

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not to mention that most MCU heroes don't even have secret identities, so that's another big difference. I'm getting the sense that Age of Ultron is either going to drastically change the way people and the government view heroes, thus leading to the creation of the Superhuman Registration Act, or personally effect Tony so much that his privatizing of Superheroes and world peace will go too far that Cap feels he needs to be stopped like people are speculating. The latter might avoid one of the pitfalls the actual comic encountered by just firmly placing Iron Man in the role of main antagonist with Cap as the "hero," though I imagine there'll be at least some ambiguity as to whose right or wrong within the main conflict.

But wow, Captain America 3 adapting Civil War :eek:.

I wonder if Thor 3 will keep him in Asgard and away from the conflict like he was in the comic? I guess a good sign of how far Tony has fallen would be him creating Ragnarok during the war :ack:.

I'm also wondering if the Bucky storyline might be integrated by having Winter Soldier joining Cap against Iron Man?

So maybe Cap 3 is the opening salvo for the war, with Avengers 3 parts one and two covering the rest of it? Or alternatively, about a new New Avengers team forming after the fighting is finally over? Whatever the case, I think the Infinity Gauntlet storyline might be getting pushed back a bit, unless Thanos hits the heroes immediately after their already exhausted from the war. A delay on that storyline would give Thanos more time to get the rest of the Infinity Stones, or at least finally introduce the ones still left ;).

One of my biggest hopes about the Civil War adaption is that it hopefully doesn't lead to a string of hero vs. hero movies that seem to have dominated the comics ever since it happened :(.

Not to mention the first mention of Infinity Stones and the debut of the Collector. I personally enjoyed the movie as a standalone Thor adventure, but then I was a lot more lenient on it than most people were :sweat:.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They seem to be intent on involving Midgard and Asgard in each movie. If anything, more on the Nine Realms and its history.

There's also the high probability that Tony read the S.H.I.E.L.D. files noting the Winter Soldier's involvement in his parents' deaths.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

10. RoryWilliams

There was a rumor a few weeks ago that a potential new Avengers team could be formed that includes Phase 3 characters like Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther assuming he appears.

The most recent rumor linked up suggests at end of Age of Ultron we'll see that
    but if that does end up being true, it's still possible they could utilize some of those Phase 3 properties if they need enough characters to have two competing teams of Avengers.

Not sure I necessarily see them going that route, but it's a possibility.

11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

At this point, it's either Black Panther or Thor 3.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, no offense to McCay, but it seems like he'd do best with something smaller scale than Thor 3 or Black Panther.

Then again, I would have said the same to the Russos a few years ago.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. RoryWilliams

Too much to hope for some sort of slate announcement?

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering the content in last year's documentary, I'm not holding my breath. I'll take whatever they give. :D

17. RoryWilliams

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.