1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Announces Inhumans Series on ABC

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The trailer is out now.

For all this added IMAX money, things feel kinda...small? I mean I know shooting in Hawaii is crazy-expensive, but the costuming is just so exceptionally bland. Medusa looks like she was doing her best Lily Munster cosplay with that hair and outfit and Black Bolt just looks plain boring. Maximus looks like a sawed-off twerp and really the only semi-decent thing in the whole trailer is Lockjaw's appearance and even that seems a bit plain after GotG.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

We finally see some of Triton and Lockjaw's effects don't look as bad as I thought it would. All of the Attilan stuff looks boring though. I can understand why Maximus is so eager to get out of there. The wardrobe designs feel a bit lifeless. It kind of reminds me of watching something like Divergent in that sense. Black Bolt just looks plain goofy to me. All that said, I hope it turns out better than I might expect. I was pretty down on Marvel shows on ABC but the last season of SHIELD was really enjoyable to me.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, Crystal and Lockjaw look surprisingly on-model from that trailer.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The look and feel of this definitely seems like an attempt to adapt the Inhumans for a TV budget, from the costume, set design, and emphasizing the political/familial drama over the Royal Family's powers and weirdness o_O.

I mean, even Black Bolt's one demonstration of his powers at the end there felt like something I've seen on Arrow multiple times and not really all that impressive :shrug:.

I also find it funny how they put it out in a big way that this was filmed with IMAX cameras and will have a limited theatrical release, like they want you to think this will be like a movie even though it obviously isn't :p.

I hope Medusa and Crystal do more then just being captured and running away from Maximus and his men in this...

Probably the biggest hilight was Lockjaw popping in there and looking so comic-accurate. I imagine most of the budget went to him, and it was fairly well-spent :D.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm still on the fence. The trailer didn't sway me in either direction. Some characters looked on model, some still bothered me. Parts of Attilan looked like an Apple Genius zone. I'm sure when more info drops and more footage shows up, my opinion will change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now I'm imagining Karnak at the Genius Bar pointing out the flaws in everyone's phones :p.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of either Game of Thrones or the Inhumans, but from what I've seen it seems like Iwan Rheon's direction for Maximus was "okay I need about 50% less harsher and cruler Ramsey Bolton. A bit more controlled, kind of more bland... yeah yeah that's good go with that." Honestly despite getting the most attention in the first half of the trailer he doesn't come across as much of a villain though... the team doesn't really come across as impressive. I'm sure Medusa and Crystal will do something in the show but... it feels very base and lame to have them just stand prisoner or run away as heck even the Agents of SHIELD first trailer showed their female leads more active. And there just felt like a weird tonal shift to "there's political drama on the moon with a controlling brother" to "this dog randomly teleported our hero to Hawaii and now there's trouble with the law" that just feel awkward. Honestly I do want to hold out some hope for this series as maybe it could still be good and give all the Inhumans fans what they want but... the more you see of this series the less promising it's looking. I hope I'm wrong but part of me thinks the behind the scenes drama with Ike Perlmutter and his issues with Marvel and desperation to make this project for years would of been a more story then this winds up being.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Jae Lee, the artist of the beloved Inhumans mini-series from the 90's, did a poster for the series.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that looks...10x better then the actual show does :cool:.

Triton looks like Abe Sapien though :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay, that looked marginally a little better then the last one, even if it still looks obvious this is working on a TV budget, if only because we actually got to see the Royal Family use their abilities this time :cool:.

I guess Triton was on Earth for...reasons o_O?

The FX on Medusa's hair look...okay :sweat:.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Had to be a secret supply run. He wouldn't trying to find more Inhumans to bring to the Moon would he?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Neo Ultra Mike

The use of a really good song and actually getting to see more of the team use their powers (Medusa especially. So glad someone realized in the last trailer "oh right she is the QUEEN OF THE INHUMANS we should probably not just have her stand around look pretty and get captured and actually some of her strength") really do make this a much better trailer. Yeah the effects still don't look that terribly good (though the IMAX tease works a lot better here at least) and most of Maximus's lines were repeat from the last trailer but... this has like a hundred times more promise then the previous trailer and gets me actually a bit exited for the Inhumans. And considering how I had the lowest of low expectations for this after the first trailer that's impressive in it's own right.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Summary of Q&A from SDCC. The dinner table scene we've seen in the trailers - has some dialogue of them discussing Earth's water supply being contaminated with Terrigen - a nod to AOS season 2.

Broadcast version will have extra footage in the first 2 episodes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, with how they keep promoting the IMAX version they have to give some incentives to get you to watch the broadcast version :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Neo Ultra Mike

Though is one of the first episodes double length since if not, that would only make the two episodes combined like... 80 minutes right? Which I guess you can run for a movie but you'd think you'd want it to at least be a bit longer for a special IMAX special event.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

7/26: Buck elaborated on the ties to Agents of SHIELD -- He revealed Triton will head to Earth to investigate a Terrigen leak in the ocean and also, the 'Nuhumans' on Earth are distant relatives of this show's Inhumans on the Moon and Louise is a human doctor-scientist and is definitely aware of past MCU events and powers.

7/28: IMAX CEO Greg Foster and Inhumans Director Roel Reine on the partnership. Reine mentioned IMAX created new wider lens for Reine to use.

Leung and Ikwuakor on straying from the comics, the family element, shifting alliances.

7/29: Rheon talks about Maximus' conflict with the caste system.

8/2: Reine confirmed a lot of Kree easter eggs like language and artwork. We've definitely seen the familiar glyphs and monolith during filming.

8/3: 38 second clip released by ABC: "Maximus confronts Medusa"

Reine revealed he did some sketches and photos of how he thought Lockjaw's teleportation should look like he's organically dissolving into a sandburst.

Snippet of pilot review, embargo restriction is still up -- as most predicted, 'simply awful' and a 3/10.

8/6: From the TCA this past week, ABC President Dungey asks fans to give Inhumans a chance, it's a work in progress. Buck even compared himself to sad meme Ben Affleck. Dungey also added they're down to the wire on some of the special effects. I remember on AOS they were also down to the wire, like on the Watchdog who exploded.

Director Reine admitted he had mixed feelings about the first trailer because he felt the viz effects weren't ready or featured well but he liked the SDCC trailer better.

Character portraits. Great first look at Louise.

8/8: Cast photos/info. Confirms a few things, Auran will have parabolic hearing - can track a single word of her choosing when it's spoken on Earth and Louise will become a point of contact with the Inhumans when Black Bolt arrives on Earth.

8/14: First Look featurette posted.

20. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

After all this, we still don't have much idea what this show is actually about.