1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Announces Inhumans Series on ABC

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/15: Mike Moh lied about his swimming abilities to get the role of Triton but naturally improved for the show.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I think they would've cast more for acting ability then swimming ability anyways, though I guess it doesn't hurt ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/16: Reine considers Black Bolt and Medusa to be the villains of the show but admits Maximus may be righteous, he's going about it in an extreme way. The central theme of the show is inequality.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious to see how this will factor if Maximus actually goes "mad" like he is in the comics...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/16: Reine on getting hired and his experience on the set.
    Yeah, that will get misconstrued.

Yeah. seems like they're downplaying it -- I mean, one would think there was psychological damage done when Terrigenesis 'failed' him.

EDIT: Meet the Royal Family promo posted.

8/18: Thank goodness they fixed Medusa's hair. Probably what Loeb was alluding to, VFX wasn't 100% done with the show.

It's being reported that IMAX is only selling tickets up to September 7th and not the 14th as first announced. While it could a loss of faith and they took did some accounting, but as the article pointed out, other films like "It" are also coming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really have to wonder, internally, how Marvel is viewing this, especially given the whole division between Feige and Perlmutter...

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/18: I think all you have to do is Google "Feige meme" and you'll get your answer. :p

There still seems to be a lot left to be revealed about this show getting a greenlight. It's easy to think Perlmutter passed along an edict to Loeb and the rest is history. But I've been pondering it a little.We know ABC passed on past pitches like Most Wanted which was basically another spy show and they didn't renew Agent Carter, a spy show/period piece. We know the network is really into family dramas/comedies. So it seem like Loeb or whoever looked at the trends and saw Inhumans as a way to get another ABC show. But I guess they don't take fan input into account? I mean I don't recall seeing fans on social media prior to any knowledge of the show demanding a show about Inhumans. Nor people raving positively about Scott Buck or it was too late at that point when feedback about Iron Fist Season One started to spread. And yet, they knew Inhumans would have to call for some heavy VFX and even with some episodes of Agents of SHIELD - they barely finished in time. How IMAX came into the picture is another thing I'd like to know more about because it still seems so out of the blue.

8/23: Woglom interview from back on the set.

8/25: Karl Kerschl did an illustrated poster of Crystal and Lockjaw.

8/26: In honor of National Dog Day, a Lockjaw poster was released.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Also just realized this made today's Justice League Action episode seem even more fitting ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/28: Minute promo released

8/29: A 2 episode screening for critic at Universal City LA has garnered positive reactions.

8/30: New promo shows their Terrigenesis ritual is a bit different than down below on Earth.

9/1: Scott Buck interview. One bit, Lockjaw is a dog, not an Inhuman. Looks like we won't learn much of his origins in this season.

9/3: Buck notes the Royal Family will "come into contact with different people, who shape their experiences in different ways." Dr. Evan Declan is "an independent researcher who has been testing Inhumans on Earth."

The weekend IMAX run is being predicted to net $2.6 million ( domestic and international combined).

9/4: A whole storyline left out other IMAX version will be in the TV version. The Royal Family is aware of Quake, 'the public Inhuman hero/outlaw' -- so that does kind of help further connote when in the timeline this show happens.

The First Chapter Clip 1

The First Chapter Clip 2

9/6: Variety reports ABC is concerned about SFX of early cuts and the underpinning scripts. Article goes to insinuate they're leery of more hybrid strategies in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of late for them to be concerned, I'd say.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The episode titles and dates per IMDb are:
    1.1 9/29 "Behold... The Inhumans!"
    1.2 9/29 "Those Who Would Destroy Us"
    1.3 10/6 "Divide and Conquer"
    1.4 10/13 "Make Way For... Medusa"
    1.5 10/20 "Something Inhuman This Way Comes..."
    1.6 10/27 "The Gentleman's Name is Gorgon"
    1.7 11/3 "Havoc in the Hidden Land"
    1.8 11/10 "...And Finally: Black Bolt"

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They're all titles to Inhumans comics! I love it :D.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Seems kind of quick to be doing so, but then again it didn't seem like many higher-ups were all too keen on this series to begin with :sweat:.

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You do have to remember that the only reason this series was made (at least IMHO which no one has yet really been able to counter) was because of spite. Specifically Ike Perlmutter's spite. Remember he was one of the head executives of the MCU and he was really pushing an Inhumans movie more then everyone else and in fact blocked the idea of phase 3 having a Captain Marvel (with Carol Danvers as the character) and Black Panther unless an Inhumans movie was added to the mix. Thus why originally Inhumans was put in phase 3. Which changed and obviously the "official" reason is because of Ant Man doing well enough to get a sequel and getting the rights back to Spider-Man but I think it also has to do with Ike Perlmutter leaving the position as head of the movie division. Which I think was a result of Age of Ultron underperforming and getting less stellar reviews then expected with a lot of people pointing out the forcing in of plot points to tie it into other movies. Whether that's true or not Perlmutter left as MCU head and was just put in charge of the TV division as the Inhumans movie went from having a solid release date to being on indefinite hiatus to being pulled from the schedule. But Perlmutter is still a head of the TV division and obviously had enough sway to still get the project out in some form and even made this IMAX deal so technically it would "premiere" in theaters.

But I could see why rumors are floating around and why this could of been so easily axed off. Because technically the series premiere in theaters got even lower then expected numbers (I'm sure Execs were hoping for at least a 10 million something turn out with no other competition over labor day weekend and this still being billed as an MCU property compared to the like 1 million it got) and outright toxic word of mouth and IMHO even if the two part pilot isn't awful it isn't good and feels too rushed to really get a proper feel of the characters or there scenario. Like maybe if there was another episode before the family got sent to Hawaii but... there wasn't so as a result it just feels really lame. And really if you have such a terrible start and bad press to really want to push on more with this property? It's still possible a second season could happen as they are at least going to likely all the episodes of this first season but... I don't see many people turning in and watching with how little buzz there is around the series. Even Agents of SHIELD problematic as that first season was at least still had some general good buzz going in to carry the season and thanks to tying to winter Soldier some positive buzz on the season ending to warrant more attention. Don't really see this getting the same as yeah this looks like it will even whizz below Agent Carter as the most Meh of the entire MCU's offerings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Even Gunn commented.

In the greater scheme of things, these short order seasons concern me because while I love AOS, it look me almost that first 7-8 episodes to really start digging the cast and what the show was about. Plus there was the touchstone of Coulson from the movies. A bit of that like with Agent Carter until the tires fell off in season 2 and poorly executed things. So Inhumans is 8 episodes, so they really have to be on their game to quickly set things up and characterize the main cast (putting a greater importance on casting the right actors with each other, imo) and/or I don't take a shine to Inhumans until the season finale and welp, that's it. So that's a concern on my shoulders with not just Inhumans but the two Freeform series and well, we see the criticisms with Defenders. But the Netflix shows have another issue attributed to the 'Netflix bloat' and really need to tighten their pacing, imo. But in fairness it took the AOS crew a good 2.5 seasons to figure out the right formula to tell their stories.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been really hoping that this season isn't a complete dud so they can at least redeem the Inhumans somewhere along the line. I'd think it will all depend on the ratings although I'm sure that flopping at IMAX probably helped gum up the works.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I didn't hate the first episode as much as I thought it would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yojimbo