1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Announces Inhumans Series on ABC

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Marvel's The Inhumans are coming to TV on ABC.
    Fridays at 9 PM
    SEPTEMBER 29 TO NOVEMBER 10, 2017

[​IMG]

News
    Episodes: 8 (1-2 on IMAX, 1-8 on ABC)
    Showrunner: Scott Buck
    Starring: Anson Mount as Black Bolt, Iwan Rheon as Maximus, Serinda Swan as Medusa, Ken Leung as Karnak, Eme Ikwuakor as Gorgon, Isabelle Cornish as Crystal, Mike Moh as Triton, Sonya Balmores as Auran, Ellen Woglom as Louise, and Henry Ian Cusick as Dr. Declan
    Production: March 5, 2017 to June 11, 2017
    Premiere: September 1, 2017 in IMAX then September 29 on ABC
    Reference: Movie News
    Sources: Marvel 11/14, THR 11/14, THR 11/21, THR 11/29, CBR 12/6, CBM 12/17, CB 1/10, MCUEx 1/11, THR 1/19, CB 1/24, CB 1/30, CBM 1/30, Biz 2/8, Reel 2/9, CB 2/16, MCUEx 2/18, CBM 2/19, THR 2/21, CB 2/24, CB 2/28, EW 3/1, Variety 3/2, Marvel 3/3, IMAX 3/4, CBR 3/6, Marvel Tweet 3/26, CB 4/5, CBR 4/5, CBM 4/8, CBM 4/17, CBR 5/4, CBR 5/4, CBM 5/5, CB 5/7, CBR 5/16, CB 5/16, SR 5/21, CB 6/1, CiB 6/15, CB 6/27, CBM 7/11, CBR 7/12, CBR 7/12, CBR 7/12, CBM 7/13, CB 7/20, CBR 7/21, CBR 7/21, CBR 7/26, CBR 7/28, CBR 7/28, CB 7/29, CB 8/2, CB 8/3, CB 8/3, CB 8/6, CB 8/6, CB 8/6, CBM 8/6, CB 8/8, CB 8/8, CBR 8/15, CB 8/16, CB 8/16, CB 8/18, CBR 8/23, CB 8/29, CBR 9/1, CBM 9/3, CB 9/3, CB 9/4, CBR 9/6, CBM 9/21, CB 9/27, CBR 9/28, CB 9/28, CB 9/28, CBM 10/2, CBM 10/9,
    Filming: Reel 3/5, MHO 3/5, CB 3/7, CB 3/12, Reel 3/14, Reel 3/16, Reel 3/19, Reel 3/20, PHOTOlulu 3/20, CB 3/20, CB 3/21, Reel 3/22, PHOTOlulu 3/24, isla808 3/30, CB 3/31, Reel 3/31, Reel 4/1, Reel 4/3, Reel 4/20, Reel 5/1, Reel 5/5, Reel 5/11, Reel 5/12, isla808 5/18, isla808 5/18, Reel 5/19, isla808 5/19, Reel 5/19, Reel 5/25, isla808 6/5, Reel 6/5, Reel 6/12,
    Poster: Inhumans Tweet 5/2, CB 6/26, CBR 7/12, 7/18, CBR 8/25, CBR 8/26,
    Teasers: CBR 5/5, CB 5/21, CBR 6/27, WGTC YT 8/14, Inhumans Tweet 8/17,
    Trailer: TV Promo 6/29, TV Promo 7/20, ABC YT 9/26,
    Promos: TV Promo 8/28, TV Promo 8/31, TV Promo 9/1, TV promo 9/2,
    Clips: ABC YT 8/3, Marvel Tweet 8/30, TV Promo 9/4, TV Promo 9/4, CBR 10/5,

• Informative Informative x 1
    #1 Frontier, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

More proof of the division between the film and TV divisions, I assume. I knew that movie wasn't gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I am disheartened and befuddled. So every week you have to go to an IMAX theater to watch a Marvel TV show? Guess that's another one I won't see immediately...

EDIT: Oh, so they're showing the first two episode cut together as a movie and shown at IMAX then the series will premiere on ABC? Hmm, concerned what that implies about AOS having a season 5 or not...

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Yojimbo, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep, this pretty much puts the kibbosh on an Inhumans movie happening in the foreseeable future :sweat:.

But it's also sensible in a way, given all the work Agents of SHIELD has done to setup the Inhumans, to do an Inhumans series on ABC since there can be a lot more overlap between it and AoS now. It might even succeed AoS as ABC's premier Marvel show once AoS possibly finishes its run this season...

I really have to wonder what this is going to be like. Will they go with the "Game of Thrones" feel that seemed to be the direction they were going for when the movie was still an idea? Or take more influences from the current Inhumans book and their direction under Charles Soule? I have to imagine the Royal Family is going to be one of the main focus's of it.

And I'm seriously curious to see how they're going to pull off the Royal Family in live-action, especially on a TV budget :eek:.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Mmm, yep. Pretty much.

Perhaps. It would be funny if AOS indeed ends after this season, then S.H.I.E.L.D. suddenly starts appearing in the movies again.

The third paragraph in Marvel's PR confirms it 'follows the adventures of Black Bolt and the royal family.'

They seem to be making leaps and bounds in FX, Ghost Rider case in point. But maybe the IMAX money helps with that budget. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm definitely going to be curious to see how Lockjaw, Gorgon, Triton, and Medusa's hair are going to turn out for this :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I find it weird to complain about not getting an Inhumans movie after reading an article about getting at least 88 minutes of Inhumans in IMAX theaters.

There is an Inhumans movie followed by a weekly TV show.

I think it's a stretch to say this spells the end for AOS as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoryWilliams

The fact that AOS's ratings haven't improved at all this season probably spells the end for AOS. That and, IIRC, they should reach those sweet syndication numbers by the end of this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Certainly with the Imax run it kind of feels like they're trying to make it come off as a more "theatrical" or special production compared to your average ABC show, though whether that will translate to the production values and handling of the source material remains to be seen...

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm mixed on this. I wanted an Inhumans film, and I was hoping they'd appear in Avengers 4.

OTOH, if they're still doing a "Game of Throne" style Inhumans, maybe a show format would work better, and this could also work as a SHIELD successor. Also, it sounds higher budget than usual, if the whole IMAX thing is any indication.
    Also, you have to love how Marvel always goes big...first ever television series pilot to be completely filmed in IMAX? Yeah, why not?

Poor Vin Diesel, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to take this either. However, I can't thinking if MARVEL does get Fantastic Four back, this might be an interesting way of doing a new reboot film, without really doing a reboot film. Considering that this is not a disaster.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I am wondering how long the movie side of the MCU can do without acknowledging the Inhumans and the return of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- now that the Inhumans are on the TV side, it seems a little more likely the movies will continue to ignore them.

But I suppose they could keep the show solely in Attilan done in the Game of Thrones style. I think in the comics, under Black Bolt's rule it was initially hidden in the Himalayas somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm mixed about this as well. I was really expecting an Inhumans movie for Phase 4. Will the show's IMAX premiere feel cinematic and large in scope or more grounded?
    The Inhumans movie would have released after 2019 when Inhumans have long been established in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. This definitely seems like the best way to keep the ball rolling. A crossover with S.H.I.E.L.D. characters would be nice but it might not happen since this is just a eight-episode mini series apparently, not a spin-off of S.H.I.E.L.D. So perhaps this is just a primer for the movie after all.
    If this looks anything like Game of Thrones, I'm in! I expect it to pull from Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee's version as well as the original and current takes on the characters. Maximus as the villain is pretty likely, for example.
    I really wanted to see Medusa's hair and Lockjaw in a movie. Plus how will Triton look? I'm definitely excited to see where this goes at the very least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Strange. Why not premiere the pilot movie in December to a) coincide with their first appearance in the comics and b) act as the winter hiatus buffer like Carter did. Hmm.

Well I guess September is more viable than December in terms of forecast ticket sales and maybe they are planning a AOS tie-in (i.e. watch AOS episode # then go see Inhumans in IMAX theaters).

I was thinking the Unspoken. But yeah, Maximus is likely though they have to make sure they're not just copying Loki.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Now obviously there have been talks for quite awhile about doing an Inhumans movie. Heck I read an entertainment weekly article all the way back when production on the FIRST Avengers movie in fall of September 2011 was taking place and they were talking about in addition to an Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy movie, about making an Inhumans movie. And then we got the lay out of the original phase 3 line up which had right before Avengers 3 part 2 (back when the MCU didn't have a problem saying Infinity War was a two parter movie) that it was going to happen then before yeah fizzling out. This might be wrong as we don't have all the behind the scenes sources for this, but from what I recall it was one of the producer executives who was really pushing for an Inhumans movie. The same one who didn't want there to be a female villain for Iron Man 3 as that wouldn't sell toys and pettitioned that if they were going to do a Captain Marvel movie with Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, they HAD to do an Inhumans movie as well. But then due to the lower sales and minor bad buzz of Avengers Age of Ultron that producer was fired from the company and soon after all talk of an Inhumans movie at all kind of vanished into the ether. Again this is a lot of hersay and rumors but seems like Inhumans was someone's pet project who kind of thankfully no longer works with the company, thus the MCU is less likely to be interested in making a movie with them and using the property for other means.

And that's not to knock this mini series or say it won't lead to a movie but pretty clear this project is more a boost to get people interested in a more TV or lesser scale project. Whether or not Agents of SHIELD continues after this season it's pretty clear that's where a lot of the well... "lower tier" in the MCU's eyes properties are being put in order to have some boost for the series, but not like a major "OMG WE GOT IRON MAN AND THOR TO SHOW UP FOR AN EPISODE" boost or anything. Thus why you have Ghost Rider and now talk of a series specifically focusing on Inhumans. It doesn't even say here though what exactly will be the plot or who will star in it so will it feature the roayl inhuman family or just more "street level" characters? Hard to say but I guess it's nice for fans of this concept Marvel wants to try something else with them even if it's not you know a 100+ million dollar budgeted movie or anything on that scale.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RoryWilliams

You're correct. It was reported that Ike Perlmutter was the one who heavily pushed for the Inhumans movie, hence the recent multi-year effort in the comics to try and make the Inhumans the next big thing.

It seems that now that Ike is gone, Feige felt no need to honor his pet project.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I was thinking this was a more recent decision so they wouldn't have it ready in time for this winter. I do wonder if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will have more breaks now because Agent Carter isn't there for the winter break. It's already on a break for two or three weeks right now.
    Cool idea. I didn't know about the Unspoken until now. Too bad they can't use Lash since that's been covered already but this show and Captain Marvel could definitely set up Ms. Marvel. Kamala getting her own movie would be a big deal in many ways. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One way they can distinguish him from Loki is by playing up his insanity and how that contributes to how dangerous he is, in contrast to Loki's more cunning and suave demeanor, what with him being "Maximus The Mad" ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Cancelledscifi.com has been speculating for some time that this was Agents of SHEILD's last season, going by the ratings. Given the focus on the Inhuman's plotline, an Inhumans series is a worthy sequel series.

Still, if it's only 8 episodes, THAT is concerning. After those 8 episodes, if it's not approved for a second season, does that mark the end of Marvel material on ABC? Because that would be a shame, if ABC can't compete with The CW, for superhero material...I mean, yeah, Netflix material has proved a huge hit, but I don't want to see Marvel leave network TV...

• Like Like x 2
    #19 wonderfly, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Good points, @Greg91.

Nah, there's a lot of titles in the works for the ABC channel alone. We still don't know what John Ridley's Marvel project is. Could be Inhumans. Then there's still Damage Control which we last heard had a pilot order, then a 2nd comedy project, a rumored New Warriors, a rumored Captain Britain pitch next year, and the grasping at straws rumored Ms. Marvel one.

• Agree Agree x 2