1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel announces All-New, All Different Avengers

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by RoryWilliams, Mar 24, 2015.

1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it certainly is an All-New, All Different lineup of Avengers. And a mouthful too :sweat:.

I expected Female Thor would eventually join an Avengers team, so not surprised to see her. Looks like FalCap is on it too, in the center-middle, so that's another member of the new Trinity accounted for. The character on the left looks Iron Man-ish, and considering the precedent so far I doubt it'll be Tony. My money's on Rhodey or, if the solicits for Superior Iron Man mean anything, Pepper as Iron Woman :ack:.

I'm surprised to see Ms. Marvel on the team. I think Kamala's way too young and inexperienced to be joining the Avengers, at least full-time. Spidey was a reserve member for years before he properly joined, so I would think that would work out better compared to her being on a main team. Young Avengers would also make more sense. Though that said, happy to see Kamala getting a bigger push and spotlight on an Avengers book :).

The character below the FalCap sillhouette looks like Spider-Man, and is probably Miles Morales. If it is Miles...I wonder what this might mean for Peter :(?

Heck, I wonder where any of the classic characters/heavy hitters are? But aside from that, happy to see we'll be getting a core Avengers team again :cool:.

#2 Frontier, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Tell me about it on Kamala and experience. She's there because she's popular. But whatever, I can go with that. Call it karmic balance for not making A-Force with its gargantuan roster of a bazillion female heroes.

Also, there are narrative angles to having a team newbie. And maybe she'll help make sure the book won't be too serious.

I almost want to say the bottom right is Nova just because it seems like the gauntlets would fit. Top right, I have no idea.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

True, though something tells me that the situation post-Secret War leaves the Avengers in such a condition that they have to make do with the heroes that are on hand which is how Kamala ends up on the team. But yeah, having her on the team will definitely add a touch of lightheartedness that it'll probably need, which is nice :).

Surprised Carol isn't on the team though...

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom right character is Nova, and I've seen that suggested on other forums. It's very likely not going to be Richard Rider, so it's probably Sam unless one of the Nova's from the SW Infinity Gauntlet survives post-SW. I guess it would be nice for Sam, after having a role in pretty much all the events starting from AvX, to finally get official Avengers membership :sweat:.

5. RoryWilliams

Vision and Nova.
    [​IMG]

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So Nova and Vision confirmed...well, looks like Sam will definitely be getting even more spotlight in the MU, though at least I'd say he has more experience than Kamala does at this point, and it's nice to have another classic Avenger on the team in Vision :).

7. RoryWilliams

The final team.

[​IMG]

Mark Waid will be writing and Mahmud Asrar will be on art duties.

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So Iron Man, who may or may not be 616!Tony, FalCap, and Miles confirmed for the team :).

Wow, Mark Waid as the writer? I assume that would also be because he's writing the book proper, and not just the FCBD issue, and if that's the case then I definitely have more reason to to look forward to the book. While the roster is pretty varied and not what I would expect for the main Avengers team, Waid is more often than not a superb Superhero scribe who's been killing it on Daredevil, and I'd love to see what he could do on a big book like the Avengers. It has me hopeful that we'll see a return to a more classic Avengers feel compared to the Bendis and Hickman runs :D.

Mahmud Asrar on art duties is even better ;).

9. McMax

McMax Member

Looks like Marvel is getting rid of all its white male heroes with all the race lifting and gender flipping and the cancellations (notice how they don’t do this to white male villains; they get to remain as is). Its leftist politically correct garbage like this is one of the reasons I quit comics (expense and bad stories were the main reasons) and to see characters with decades of history toss aside or wiped away is a disappointment.

Why won’t they use all the existing minority and female characters or put out a little effort and make new ones instead of just converting whatever white male their eyes land on? This woman Thor nonsense when they could’ve done a Sif or the Valkyries title, and Steve Rogers is Captain America period so let’s give Sam Wilson as Falcon, a character who has a 40 year history, a title of his own, they have before. And Peter Parker is the one and only Spider-Man so let Marvel give this Miles his own unique powers like the new Ms. Marvel. This way Marvel can bring in the new while respecting history of the ones that got them here in the first place.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I understand how you're feeling, to a certain extent, on classic Marvel heroes getting replaced by new legacy heroes. I try not to look at it or criticize it as a race or gender issue, because I feel it is important for heroes of different genders and ethnicities to get a spotlight however they can. I just wouldn't want it to come at the expense of other characters. It's a really complicated issue that I definitely don't have an answer for, other than just my opinion on the issue :ack:.

Maybe Marvel thought Sam would get much more traction and attention as Captain America then he would if Marvel just launched a Falcon ongoing, even if write now he's a well-known character as Falcon thanks to Winter Solider. Would I rather Steve remain Captain America and Sam as Falcon? Yes. But I think I at least understand Marvel's marketing methodology :shrug:.

Sif technically had her own series in Journey into Mystery, but while I've heard nothing but great things about it, it apparently didn't catch on. Valkyrie had her own miniseries, but I'm not sure how that was received. Maybe this would be different if there was an actual book titled "Sif" or "Valkyrie" as ongoings, or as much as we get ongoings these days, but more people know who Thor is so thus: Female Thor :sweat:.

And poor Tony's stuck as a jerk lacking completely in morals :(.

But I agree with leaving Miles and Peter separate, and I think that's how they work best. Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman would lose a lot of her effectiveness if she was placed into 616, and I think the same is true for Miles. That, and I'd rather not see Peter replaced as Spider-Man :sad:.

11. RoryWilliams

That's a pretty interesting bit of news given that so far this is the ONLY book confirmed for post-Secret Wars. So going off one title and taking that as proof that Marvel is killing off all its white men is really jumping the gun.

Because they tried very recently to give both Valkyrie and Lady Sif their own books and they tanked, whereas the new Thor is a very strong seller.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

AFAIK lots of the old guard is still around one way or another. Besides, it's cape comics...nobody really says dead - or gone - for very long. Your favorite character isn't in a book? Wait a year and it'll probably be different.

All this Secret Wars stuff is totally beyond me. Marvel's "Battleworld" is nutso. But if the end result is Marvel getting to use all its different ideas in one spot, well, that's expansion. The problem with spinoffs like the "Ultimate Universe" is that what gets created in them is seen as somehow not less and not "real" and stuff that can be safely ignored, and new ideas and people don't get to mix with the old ones. Now they can.

Now, if they'd just keep it together for awhile and the individual books are mostly left free of meddling. Yeah, I know, but I can hope can't I?

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, we don't know how the MU will look post-Secret War, but I imagine Cap, Thor, and Peter will still be in it in some form. Peter, for one, is definitely confirmed though not necessarily as Spider-Man :sweat:.

I hope we get Thor and Steve back in the lead eventually, and that female Thor and Sam don't get shortchanged after that happens. I know with the pair having movies on the way that it's bound to happen, but once Hemsworth and Evans leave would Marvel have as much of a reason to keep their characters in their roles? Not to sound paranoid or anything, but you never know with Marvel :ack:.

I would say that's what the Ultimate Universe became when it's point in the publishing line, to be more accessible modern versions of the mainstream books, became redundant as the main line started trying to be more accessible and incorporated elements from Ultimate books into the main line. Though while Miles is obviously being brought in, I hope he isn't the only Ultimate character who survives Secret Wars and makes it to 616 :(.

Oh man, if only they really could keep the post-Secret War MU out of events for more than 2 month...