"Marvel Anime" Animated Series/Features News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 3, 2011.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss the forthcoming Marvel Anime projects from Marvel Animation and Madhouse.

Synopsis: Marvel Entertainment Inc., has partnered with renowned Japanese animation studio Madhouse (Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers) and multiple-Eagle Award winner Warren Ellis to create four all new anime versions of classic Marvel Super Heroes. These Marvel Anime TV series are being created as a way of merging the beloved Marvel Super Heroes of western culture with the bold animation tradition of Japan. The resulting product will be four visually groundbreaking anime series featuring popular Super Heroes redesigned and repurposed as emerging from the fabric of Japanese culture. The series is expected to begin appearing on the Animax channel in Japan in spring of 2010.

Stay tuned for updates!

Previous Discussion:
    -Marvel Anime News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers), Part 1

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin' Moderator

During G4's E3 broadcast today, they've been promoting the July premieres for Iron Man and Wolverine but there's still no specific airdate given. G4's promo site is at http://www.g4tv.com/marvel.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

All it says is July, so....:ack:

4. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING Moderator

Yeah, I was going to mention that on-air, they have an on-screen graphic for the Marvel Anime, with July as the month it will debut. They used Iron Man and Wolverine for their images.

5. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Hopefully it's July 1st. Omega Red looks awesome, but Wolverine just doesn't look like Wolverine. At least not in his solo Anime, in the X-Men one he looks fine. Really like the X-Men lineup they all look pretty cool, but Cyclops looks oddly feminine. At least he's not wearing a skullcap.

And I thought Iron Man anime was gonna look like this. What happened? Definite downgrade.

I'm most excited for Blade, since I loved the movies and liked the TV show. But ugh, Deacon Frost again? Does Blade not have any other enemies?

6. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator Moderator

Dracula?

That's about it, and Deacon Frost is only from the movies, right? Blade was never a Big Deal (tm) in the Marvel Universe, and never could support his own title (but he popped up pretty often in Tomb of Dracula).

7. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Actually now that I think about it, Deacon is only in the first one, and he recently appeared briefly in Ultimate Comics: Avengers vs. New Ultimates. I guess cause I watch the first two Blade movies so frequently I subconsciously thought Deacon was being overused.

8. ktk

ktk New Member

9. suss2it

suss2it New Member

It would appear that Noah Van Helsing is taking Whistler's usual role.

That sneak peak looked pretty good. Does anyone know how these are doing in Japan? I hope they're successful so that we can see some more Anime takes on Marvel properties. I'd love to see an Anime about the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Ghost Rider.

I'd also like to see Anime writers writing these instead of Warren Ellis so that these can be full Anime takes on Marvel characters.

10. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Oh snap. Blade is being voiced by the son of Ôtsuka Chikao! Ôtsuka Akio is also know for voicing Kyôraku Shunsui on Bleach, Whitney Hagas Matsumoto from Cowboy Bebop, and Blackbeard from One Piece! o_O

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

Medinnus, Deacon Frost is actually a character in the Marvel Comics canon that pre-dated the movies. Deacon Frost however was a lot different than his portrayal in the live action movie. In the comics he's actually an older looking dude instead of a younger looking vampire.

But I mean there aren't many vampire villains for Blade to fight in the Marvel universe anyway. There is Deacon Frost and there is Dracula. There is also Morbius but he was a Spidey villain first.

12. suss2it

suss2it New Member

So what? Kingpin was a Spider-Man villain first, yet that didn't stop him from being used in Daredevil.

13. TheVileOne

There isn't really a so what suss2it. I mean they could use him but in these shows we haven't seen like an entire rogues gallery show up. I mean they could use Morbius, but I figure they would use a Deacon Frost type first due to his connection with Blade in the comics rather than Morbius.

14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin' Moderator

Here is the promo video G4tv began airing this week.

15. suss2it

suss2it New Member

16. NBM05

NBM05 New Member

Personally I'm hugely glad that Warren Ellis wrote these, and if they made more, I'd love to see another comic writer do the writing. Not only do I like the idea of comic writers having a strong hand in the development of the characters in other media, but I also hate anime writing. Hate it. Completely. I've tried watching many different animes because other members of my family enjoy them, but the writing in each and every one has driven me away. The best i can say is I could mostly tolerate (but never really enjoy) a couple shows, but I had to walk away in frustration, boredom, and disdain from most.

But then obviously people like different things, and that's why no mass entertainment can ever be loved by everyone.

17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Morbius was actually intended to be the villain in Blade 2, & I believe even a fourth film was to feature him. So he could appear in these Anime dtv's.

Question: Does anyone know the runtime on these?

18. TheVileOne

the greeman, these are half hour TV episodes. So the average runtime is like 20-22 minutes-ish. Each show has 12 episodes.

19. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Cool, thanx. I hadn't been keeping tabs on info on these, I just assumed these were one shot films at about 70 mins. I had no idea these were series.

20. ktk

ktk New Member