1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Marvel Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 13 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I would love these as well, but I have no expectations for any of these to come on Blu-ray, let alone DVD for some. I would still like to see volume sets of all 5 seasons of Spider-Man (1994) similar to the X-Men DVDs and a complete series set of the Incredible Hulk (1996) similar to the Iron Man DVD.

I think Disney owns the home video rights for all these shows except for the Super Hero Squad Show (Shout Factory), X-Men Evolution (?) and Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes (?), and Disney has shown no interest in release more Marvel animated series DVD sets at the moment. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

Could they at least release X-Men, Fantastic Four, Iron Man and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes on Blu-ray when the time comes, since they already got DVD releases?

3. Kirben

Kirben Member

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is already available on Blu-ray in Canada, just import.

Older series from the 1990s (Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man: TAS, X-Men) would not benefit from Blu-ray release, since they are stored on tape, and lack any high quality masters to work off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

What can be done?

5. Kirben

Kirben Member

If you want more recent Marvel animated series on physical media, I think the DVD releases in Australia are the best you are going to get.

I doubt any recent Marvel animated series will be completely released on Blu-ray or DVD in the USA, unless another company managed to sub-license the series from Disney.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

I looked at the reviews on the Blu-ray of Star Trek the Animated series, and it seem to have good reviews in terms of picture quality and the show itself is from the 1970s.

7. Greg91

Greg91 Member

You can e-mail Disney about releasing the shows on DVD at least and maybe Blu-ray. Honestly, if enough people e-mail Disney and ask for some of these shows (arguably the most requested is Spider-Man 1994), we could actually see it happen like when Disney released Gargoyles Season Two Volume Two on DVD. That release proves we can make it happen if enough of us try.

Spider-Man: Homecoming in theatres this summer or on Blu-ray/DVD this fall or winter would be a great tie-in reason to release Spider-Man 1994 completely on DVD in order. Same with the current Guardians of the Galaxy animated series' recently completed first season and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's release (again in theatres or on home video). Let's see if enough people request these shows.

8. Kirben

Kirben Member

Several animated series from the 1970s were recorded on film, and still have masters available. The oldest Marvel series from 1960s and 1970s might have been recorded on film, and still have decent masters available.

Unfortunately the majority of animated series from the 1980s and 1990s were recorded or edited on video, so won't get any benefit from Blu-ray releases.

Your dreaming, fans of Disney's own cartoon series have been asking for years, but only one cartoon series (Talespin) has been completely released on DVD.

The DVD releases of Marvel animated series in Australia are often released around the time of the related movies, the last two DVD volumes of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy season 1 are been released in April 2017 around the time of the next movie.

#168 Kirben, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  9. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

How do I e-mail my request for these Marvel Cartoons on DVD and Blu-Ray to Disney?

10. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

I used to be a habitual purchaser of all the Marvel animated productions on home video, but obviously in the last few years that's presented something of an issue (also partly explaining why I don't post here regularly anymore).

I'm afraid that Kirben is absolutely correct in that Disney will not change their stance regarding Marvel animated productions on home video. Indeed, it's been abundantly clear for nearly 4 years that Disney's distribution strategy for their Marvel animated productions is now streaming only. It's a stark contrast with Warner's strategy, whereby they've released a huge amount of DC Comics-based animated series past and present.

Aside from the fact that the final Marvel series to see a complete home video series release in the U.S. was Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes in 2013, none of the modern-era series (Ultimate Spider-Man onwards) have seen season set releases on home video in the U.S., despite there being some 10 seasons' worth of material created to date.

Even more telling is Disney's refusal to release no less than three animated Marvel movies on any home video format, in the form of Iron Man & Captain America: Heroes United, Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight!, and finally Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell. If they aren't giving three movies a home video release, there's zero chance for anything else, either new or old, ever getting a home video release in the U.S. now.

My advice Hulkwummy, at least for the newer shows, is to buy the Beyond Home Entertainment DVD season releases in Australia. I'm convinced they will never see a home video release any other way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Anything can happen. I could be dreaming, but who says it won't happen? :)
    I included the e-mail address in my previous post. "You can e-mail Disney about releasing the shows on DVD at least and maybe Blu-ray." I'm not sure if ToonZone is okay with me directly including the link, but if it's okay, here it is: https://www.disneystudioshelp.com/contact-bddvd.html

I have hope something will release if Disney sees a good reason to. Some of Disney's most popular shows haven't been released on DVD/Blu-ray which is really odd, but they have supported the animated Star Wars shows, so I think there is a chance.
    I understand what you mean, but it's still possible that Disney could release another animated Marvel product on home video. I have some hope.

12. tenderheartbear

It's not just the US, but the UK as well. The last Disney release here was Ultimate Spider-Man season 1 in 4 volumes. Before that it was Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I'm slightly bemused that Australia gets DVD releases of Ultimate Spider-Man, Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and Guardians of the Galaxy when nowhere else seems to. I would import them, but the shipping charges are usually pretty high not to mention the import tax and handling charge they'd get hit with.

I would like to add to my quite substantial Marvel DVD collection, but only at a reasonable price as TBH, I only tend to watch them once. I'm not paying the earth just to look at some coloured spines on my shelf.

13. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

The time came for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes during the premiere of Avengers: Age of Ultron (which even debuted the same year that the first EMH season turned five), then again during Captain America: Civil War, yet Disney didn't take advantage of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

If they are to re-release X-Men the Animated Series on DVD, they need to clean up the frame rate so there is no ghosting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I've been thinking about the future of Marvel animated shows on DVD. Besides Star Wars shows like Rebels and the Lego mini-series as well as a few small volume sets for Disney Junior shows, Disney doesn't seem to release DVDs for their animated shows any more, which is quite disappointing. For the first time in a while, I'm starting to give up hope we'll see any more Marvel shows on DVD.

The changing market probably has a lot to do with it. HMV Canada just recently announced that they will be closing down because they can't compete with the digital market. Everyone who is buying shows and movies digitally just prove that those of us that want physical sets are going to be left out. :(

I truly hope I'm wrong and something gets announced, but I don't have the same optimism about it that I used to have. It's been years since the last Marvel animated DVD set from Disney.

If I were you, I'd hold on to my X-Men DVDs. I'm not sure we'll be seeing a re-release any time soon.

16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Even the Blu-rays for Star Wars Rebels are a little lacking in extras IMHO. It's a dying market.

17. Greg91

Greg91 Member

That's disappointing about the dying market. The extras on the Star Wars Rebels Blu-rays are more Disney being stingy about bonus features than anything else.

I don't like the idea of being forced to buy digitally or not buy at all, since I don't buy my movies and shows digitally. I like to own them physically.

I seriously think if companies released proper season and series sets only with strong bonus features, enough people would pay up so that the market was at least stable and not dying.

Anyway, part of me is still hoping a Guardians of the Galaxy season one DVD will be released in time for the new movie in theatres this May or in stores this Fall/Winter.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Dsneybuf

I have The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes on both Blu-Ray and Digital HD, but the latter option seemed less appealing after Apple swapped three season one episodes in my iCloud with copies that replaced the intro with that from season two. I can't even tell why they picked those three in particular. Unfortunately, since the show disappeared from Netflix, the iTunes digital copies became the only way I have to revisit the series with captions (and even then, they don't always seem accurate).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

I am not comfortable with digital downloads, but I am only going for it because I am sick of waiting forever for a DVD or Blu-ray release.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dsneybuf

If I my attempt to Gimp Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel onto the Canadian cover for the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 Blu-Ray didn't show up last time I tried to show it here, I'll attach the comparison to this post:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1