1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 13 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

With Marvel announcing Amazon-exclusive Blu-Ray and DVD sets for Agents of SHIELD season two and Agent Carter season one, as well as an Amazon-exclusive Blu-Ray boxset of all of the movies from Iron Man 3 to Ant-Man, I've become a little less doubtful of the possibility of cartoons becoming available through that website. Captain America: Civil War might provide a nice tie-in opportunity, though we'll just have to wait and see if Marvel will take advantage of it.
    I'd hope that it would have the episodes in chronological order, unlike The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Volume 5 and 6.

2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I think it's up to Disney to decide if they want to tie-in any home video sets to the movies. As for the Guardians episodes, of course I hope a DVD release would include the episodes in order. Earth's Mightiest Heroes' season two production order jumped around a bit, and Disney followed that order on DVD thinking that was the chronological order of the episodes. I was just comparing Guardians to the the Avengers Volume 5 and 6 sets because of the episode count, not the incorrect order of episodes.

3. Dsneybuf

Volume #5 followed production order, while volume #6 basically consisted of episodes #42-52 in chronological order with #39 at the start.
    I figured that, but still felt upset that when Disney finally started releasing 2-Disc EMH DVDs, they screwed them up.

4. Zentron

Zentron Member

Unfortunately you are talking about Disney here! The same company who has hardly ever released any of its animated series onto DVD, or even VHS for that matter, the chances of them releasing shows from other properties it now owns, is going to be very few and very very far between... took 'em 8 years just to release the second half of Gargoyles season 2!!

What I would like, would be a complete boxset release of X-Men the animated series, but with the awesome TV Tokyo opening sequences (really wish the series had been animated in the same way)!

5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Home DVD/Blu-ray market is already dying, no surprise there isn't much desire to put these shows out on disc.

6. Zentron

Zentron Member

It's dying because people are getting weary of the standard practices of the ones putting them out, plus of course the fact there are places like Amazon where you can download complete series and movies, though you still need the disk space!

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't want to get in a chicken or the egg argument.

Why buy a Blu-ray set, when you can just stream an entire series on Netflix or Amazon? Everything is going digital these days.

Obviously, I would love to see full season and series sets for all these shows, similar to what Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has done for DC Animation. Unfortunately, those in charge or the powers to be just think it will not be profitable or economically feasible. Them's the breaks.

8. Zentron

Zentron Member

Streaming is OK, but the wait can be annoying, much prefer to slip a disc in and watch my stuff right away!

9. Kirben

Kirben Member

Beyond Home Entertainment are releasing more Marvel series on DVD in Australia on 1st September 2016:
    Avengers Assemble: The Infinity Gauntlet
    Avengers Assemble: The Mad Titan
    Avengers Assemble: Season 2 (Collector's Edition)
    Guardians Of The Galaxy: Ronan's Resurrection
    Guardians Of The Galaxy: The Hunt For The Cosmic Seed
    Hulk and The Agents Of SMASH: Doorway To Destruction
    Hulk and The Agents Of SMASH: Into The Negative Zone
    Hulk and The Agents Of SMASH Season 1 (Collector's Edition)
    Ultimate Spider-Man: The Spider-Verse
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Season 3 (Collector's Edition)

Too early for pre-orders, but I expect the season sets will be exclusive to JB Hi-Fi again.

Is Guardians Of The Galaxy or Hulk and The Agents Of SMASH worth checking out, if I didn't like previous series (Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spider-Man)? unfortunately the DVD releases are the only way to see the series down here.

10. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

The popular opinion is that GotG is major improvement over the other shows (can't vouch for it myself), but SMASH definitely should be skipped, if you didn't like USM and AA.

11. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

The "Collectors Editions" come in steelcases, right? Not the big box ones.

12. Kirben

Kirben Member

Not lately, the Avengers Assemble: Season 1 was just four DVD volumes inside a box.

13. a_o

a_o New Member

I have a question about quality of the '67/"original" Spider-man animated series as released on DVD

How does the US/NTSC '67 collection DVDs quality compare to the UK/PAL ClearVision DVDs, as far as picture and audio quality go? Does one set have special features or more content than the other?

14. Dsneybuf

15. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Hmm... That's a good question that I unfortunately don't know the answer to. My apologies. Marvel Animation Age does have this DVD review.
    Yeah, I saw that last week in stores. Unfortunately, it's just the original volume sets put together so the only bonus feature is the music video from the volume one set. The Blu-ray set at least has a couple of featurettes. But DVD owners can get all the episodes together so that's good. I think this was the only Marvel animated DVD this year.

16. Dsneybuf

If I didn't already have all the SSM episodes on DVD, I'd hope that the Complete Series set doesn't stack all the discs on top of each other, as Sony sometimes does with DVDs of TV shows.
    (I myself experienced this problem with a 33-disc Bewitched DVD, and ended up moving its discs from their box to a folder.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

18. Dsneybuf

Blu-Ray.com lists the two featurettes you mentioned, and a music video.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Cool, those three are all I could think of. The music video was on Attack of the Lizard/Vol. 1 and Stylizing and Re-Animated were from the Complete First Season.

A feature I'd love to have seen is the original promo/pitch video. I generally love those and Spectacular had a really good one that's hard to find in adequate quality now.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    #159 Rick Jones, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  20. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

I'm still waiting for a United States blu-ray release for the following Marvel Animation Titles

Incredible Hulk (1996)
    X-Men The Animated Series
    Iron Man (1994)
    X-Men Evolution
    Spider-Man The Animated Series
    Avengers United They Stand
    Silver Surfer
    Fantastic Four
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Avengers Earth’s Mightiest Heroes
    Fantastic Four World’s Greatest Heroes
    Avengers Assemble
    Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
    Super Hero Squad

The DVDs of X-Men TAS has terrible picture quality, and some digital downloads also have some problems.

• Like Like x 1