1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 13 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Looks like one more DVD to add my evergrowing "Things to Import When I Have the Cash" list.

Also, I wish those box sets weren't so thick (i.e. extra thicc)...they take up a lot of space.

2. strugler

strugler Member

If this was on a bluray i would have juave jumped on it like there is no tomorrow. But these guys still seem to be living in 2004 releasing things on dvd only so i will definitely pass on this.

3. nappy

nappy New Member

Ebay seems to be selling Blu ray version of Season 4 of X-Men:Evolution!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172607699955?ul_noapp=true

100% positive reviews. At this point I've waited far too long, I dont even care anymore if whether or not this is an official release or some hacker just decided to make his own DVD version, I plan to order this.

4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This is interesting. Definitely doesn't sound official though, so I know I wouldn't buy this.

5. nappy

nappy New Member

Yes I was skeptical too. But I verified with the seller.
    I'll see what the quality is like once I get the DVD

6. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

That above X-Men: Evolution - The Complete Series title is 100% a bootleg release. Purchase at your own peril.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nappy

nappy New Member

ok I think I figured out what happened.

Apparently the full boxset of X-Men:Evolution was released in Latin America sometime last year by a group called "Series de Marvel " and then I guess online retailers started making 'bootlet' copies of it in order to sell it online.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Anyone ever ask Wacker if Marvel would consider licensing DVD/BD rights for their cartoons to another studio, such as Shout! Factory or Lionsgate? Shout! has already released some crappy live-action Marvel TV specials on DVD...
    Yours truly already has two Shout! DVD boxsets with a Marvel character: "The Best of The Electric Company" Volumes 1 and 2.

#208 Dsneybuf, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I suppose that's possible. I'm not sure Disney would want to do that (I'm guessing they have final say how Marvel releases their content). As much as I'd like Marvel to avoid Disney and get their content out there in more ways like DVD, now that Disney owns them, it's not as simple as it would've been before, I would assume.

Has Disney ever done that before with their shows on DVD?

10. Dsneybuf

Disney licensed some sitcoms in their library, including Boy Meets World, to Lionsgate.
    Also, for exactly which crappy live-action Marvel adaptations I've noticed Shout! Factory release on DVD (and in one case, on Blu-Ray), see this page, as well as its "Related Products" section.

EDIT: Left a post on Shout!'s Facebook page about Marvel cartoons, using my personal account.

• Like Like x 1
    #210 Dsneybuf, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Those sets seemed to be a while ago. I'm not sure if Disney is interested in doing that now. I don't want to bring you down or anything, but after hoping for years that we'd see a change in Disney's plans, this year, I think I've finally accepted the current landscape. I'd love to be wrong and see a Guardians season one set with the release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on Blu-ray/DVD, but it's becoming harder and harder to believe.

At the very least, Shout Factory has had history releasing Marvel animation with The Super Hero Squad Show as well as the Marvel motion comics that are in the "Related Products" section you pointed out.

12. Dsneybuf

Well, if Marvel really has anything to do with the DVD releases of those '70s live-action TV specials, then I'd wonder how putting a failed Dr. Strange pilot on DVD became a higher priority than more Marvel cartoons, or even more Agents of SHIELD episodes.

13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

That release seemed to be a tie-in to the Doctor Strange movie at best. The current animated shows or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. definitely seem to be more connected to Disney than something like this old school Dr. Strange movie.

If I had to guess, this just seemed to be a set that Marvel allowed Shout Factory to release as an archival release. NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM ELEMENTS!

I think anything recent is with Disney and, like their own shows, they're just going to keep them unreleased. Of course, I'd like to be wrong but that's what I see.

14. Dsneybuf

What do you suppose would happen if someone from Shout! asked Marvel for the rights to the cartoons? I can't imagine why anyone involved in the current deal between Shout! and Marvel would actually think something like the Reb Brown Captain America movies would outsell something like Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm only just remembering wishing that a company like Shout would try to license shows like Amazing Friends from Disney back when Shout and BCI were doing all of those great, intricate releases for animated shows. Then that wish died down a little when Liberation and Clear-Vision started releasing everything in England. I really got my hopes up that Disney might get around to something like X-Men Evolution when they had that whole Marvel DVD Comic Book Collection going on but that was dashed.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I think Shout Factory's current deal with Marvel is just those old movies. Anything else would be released by Disney. That's why I wouldn't expect anything else from Shout Factory and Marvel like the current shows or even the older animated shows.

17. Dsneybuf

If Shout! Factory tried to ask Disney for the rights to the cartoons, why would you expect Disney to say no?

18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

If Disney had the intention of releasing the shows on DVD, wouldn't they? I don't think they would say yes to Shout Factory because if they were interested in seeing the new Marvel shows on DVD, they would've done it themselves, right?

19. Dsneybuf

So, you expect the conversation to go something like this?

SHOUT! FACTORY: Hey Marvel, we've noticed you've got a ton of cartoons that Disney won't put on DVD. May we take them off your hands?
    MARVEL: No, because Disney wants no one to buy them on DVD!

At least to me, it sounds counter-productive. They did give other parts of Saban's library away to people more interested than them.

#219 Dsneybuf, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  20. nappy

nappy New Member

i didnt end up buying that ebay DVD guys because it just vanished

i want x-men:evo S4 to be on DVD so bad! :((
    hope to see the release during my lifetime

• Like Like x 1