1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 12 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

2. Brad Redfield

Brad Redfield Throws his mighty shield~!

All right guys, I need some help!

I've decided to import the Clear Vision DVDs since they've released the majority of the older Marvel titles. It seems that Disney has no interest in releasing anymore here and my tax refund will be here shortly so...

Here are few things I'd like to know:
    - The best affordable region-free DVD player that converts PAL to NTSC.
    - Best website to order the sets from. I'd prefer one that has a decent combined shipping price. (I've been leaning towards Amazon's UK branch but they seem kinda pricey.)
    - How does the 90s X-Men and Iron Man releases compare to the Disney ones? I only have the first R1 volume of X-Men and it seems the only way to get the 1966 Iron Man series is to get the 'ultimate Iron Man collection' with the 90s series.
    - Any fellow US importers have other bits of info on the releases that I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

3. r0derix

r0derix Member

Ahh that makes sense. Too bad, but what are you gonna do.

4. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

I can't answer everything, but can provide some details on the discs themselves...

- Don't bother with the UK DVDs of X-Men. Some of the episodes were edited for broadcast to remove scenes with flashing images, and these cuts were carried through to the masters used for the UK DVDs. Those edits are not present on the US discs.
    - The 1966 Iron Man series was released separately, so I'd recommend hunting that collection down.
    - Why not the Iron Man collection with the 90s show? Because all the UK discs of 90s Iron Man were also subject to edits as with X-Men. One episode in particular has even more scenes cut out due to showing a plane hitting buildings, etc. Again like X-Men, those edits are not present on the US discs.
    - Conversely, for the 90s Fantastic Four (I know you didn't mention this, but I thought I'd throw it in for completeness), the UK discs are the best way to go, as the US ones had many edits for syndication.

It's not easy collecting Marvel series on solid media!

5. Dsneybuf

Someone might have mentioned this before, but I just found out that last April, Disney released a complete first season DVD of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes in the UK. It packages the four individual DVDs together in one case. Does that generate any hopes that they'll do the same here?

EDIT: According to comments made on an Amazon review, later copies of this set restore "Meet Captain America" to its rightful place!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3AAQIGUOVYE1J/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0077V3GF6&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283926&store=dvd#wasThisHelpful :cool:

6. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Marvel Animation Age has initial details for the upcoming Iron Man: Armored Adventures - Season Two, Volume Four and Iron Man: Armored Adventures - The Complete Second Season DVD releases. Click on the respective cover art below for further information.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kirben

Kirben Member

The UK releases of Iron Man and X-Men have the advantage of the episodes been in the correct order at least, although I think it only makes a difference for X-Men. The episodes are completely out of order on the later DVD releases of X-Men in the USA, which ruins the continuity of the series.

8. James Harvey

A representative for Entertainment One Canada informed Marvel Animation Age that the Canadian studio will release The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes - Season Two, Volume Two to DVD and The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - The Complete Second Season to Blu-ray on Tuesday, May 7th, 2013. The representative also provided the following bonus feature breakdowns for both titles:

The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes - Season Two, Volume Two Bonus Features:
    -Avengers: Mission Reports (6:21)
    -Greatest ‘Hits’ (1:51)
    -Heroic Humor (2:55)

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - The Complete Second Season Bonus Features:
    -Avengers Unmasked: Behold… The Vision! (22:15)
    -Avengers Unmasked: The Private War of Doctor Doom (22:15)
    -Avengers: Mission Reports (6:21)
    -Greatest ‘Hits’ (1:51)
    -Heroic Humor (2:55)

The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes - Season Two, Volume Two will hit DVD and The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - The Complete Second Season will hit Blu-ray on May 7th, 2013 from Entertainment One Canada. Both releases will be readily available to online and retail Canadian outlets. Stay tuned for further updates, coming soon to Marvel Animation Age.

9. Dsneybuf

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I hope they've realized who really does and doesn't deserve to go on the cases.
    Would I also be able to ask when we might see your review of the latest American Earth's Mightiest Heroes DVD?

10. TheSkeletonMan93

All right! Hopefully it won't be delayed like Season One.

11. James Harvey

Expect a review for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Volume Six: End of the Cosmos! no later than next week.

12. Dsneybuf

Thanks for reviewing the DVD within the promised timeframe, but it feels like a shame that you failed to find any Easter Eggs. If all of Spider-Man's guest spots were produced under Jeph Loeb, why did he allow Josh Keaton to voice all of them, if Marvel were never going to release Keaton's versions?

13. kaine23

kaine23 Gurren Brigade member

Really tempted now to import the EMH season 1 blu-ray...

14. Dsneybuf

I don't know if the lack of subtitles sounds like a deal-breaker to you; I didn't find out about it until after I already bought the discs.

15. kaine23

It's in English right?

16. Dsneybuf

17. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

^It's from Canada, right?

18. kaine23

Yeah, will work in US players (I have the Canadian Ginger Snaps trilogy and works fine), we're both Region 1, or A.

And long as it's English, that's good enough for me.

19. satam55

satam55 Active Member

It also irritates me that the 90's Ironman show got a DVD release before 90's Spider-Man and that not doing well is factoring in 90's Spider-man not getting a DVD release.

20. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

The dvd market for these older toons sucks after the economy decline. It's like if they don't spend the money on special features or commentaries, we won't either. That really is the attitude of our modern consumer, and you can't blame them. They expect us to pay more for less, and it's a terrible business practice. This really goes back to the Disney Afternoon stuff, but Marvel should be making an effort to make the titles worth buying, but then if WHV ain't doing it either for their titles, you can't cry too loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.