Marvel Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 12 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator Administrator Moderator Reporter

It's time for the 12th installment of the Official Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread - the most informative Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray thread online! Outside of official DVD/Blu-ray talkbacks, this is the place to post all your DVD and Blu-ray news and comments! Want the latest news? Well, keep reading this thread!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Iron Man: Rise of Technovore - Now Available on Blu-ray & DVD!
    Iron Man: Armored Adventures - Season Two, Volume Four - Now Available on DVD!
    Iron Man: Armored Adventures - The Complete Second Season - Now Available on DVD!
    The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Season Two, Volume Two - Now Available on DVD!
    The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - The Complete Second Season - Now Available on Blu-ray!
    Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United - December 6th, 2013 (Blu-ray & DVD)​

For the latest news, check out Marvel Animation Age and the newest posts in this thread!

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For the latest information on what's coming to DVD and Blu-ray from the Animated Marvel Universe, check out the links below:

-Marvel Animation Age
    -Toon Zone News

Archive:
    The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 11
    The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 10
    The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 9
    The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 8
    The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 7
    The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray Thread, Part 6
    The Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 5
    The Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 4
    The Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 3
    The Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 2
    The Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 1

Note #1: Please mark any spoilers appropriately.
    Note #2: Please keep this topic, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Thank you.
    Note #3: Discussion continued from The Marvel Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Thread, Part 11 (Spoilers).

Want to know what DC Animation DVDs/Blu-rays are being released? Click here for more!

2. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

That quote is from a poster in the previous thread.

This worries me too. I really want to see these Marvel cartoons given good releases. DC's aren't perfect but at least they are put out with some consistency. For example I am really enjoying The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and I would love for that show to get a Blu-ray release like what Lionsgate did with Wolverine and the X-Men.

Do we know if Disney will release all Marvel DVDs from here on out are will Marvel still be pairing with certain studios (like Shout! with their The Super Hero Squad Show stuff).

3. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Has Marvel disclosed when they intend to release "Thor: Tales of Asgard"? I can only assume it'll be either late April or early May to cash in on the release of the Thor film but knowing an actual date would be nice (I don't remember seeing anything in the previous threads).

4. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I would think that something about the Tales of Asgard DTV would have been solicited by now to coincide with the release the Thor movie in theatres, but since we haven't heard anything, I'm starting to think that they may actually push the release back until the Thor movie comes out on DVD and Blu-ray. It may be smarter for sales to release them both on video at the same time, plus since Tales of Asgard differs quite a bit from Thor's origin in the movie, it may put some people off.

5. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Member

I posted this in the older thread but here's a reminder. CV have updated their site with...

Original Spider-Man: Complete Collection (8 discs), with any luck it's 3 amarays (matching their other releases) with a season apiece. I'd really like to condense the previous 8 volumes down to 3.

The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Animated Collection (7 discs), which gathers together the 1966, 1982 and 1996 series'.

And finally The Super Hero Squad Show volume 5: Mother of Doom, featuring I presume the final episodes from season 1.

http://www.clearvision.co.uk/Marvel

6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

I read this on Chris Yost's Twitter account this morning:

Can't wait for the DVD (and hopefully Blu-ray) news!

7. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator Moderator

I can wait if its not he full season; I hate paying $20 for four episodes...

8. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

Same here. I absolutely hate how DC released several of those lame 4-episode DVD's before even releasing half of the first season in one volume. I hope Marvel doesn't follow their lead - in fact, I'd like to see them one-up their major competitior and release a full 26 episode set down the line with a few good special features. That would be a must have... and sadly, it probably won't happen. :sad:

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

I hate paying anything for just four episodes! A series should be released in season sets. And DC isn't the only ones guilty of that, I'm still waiting for a complete second season set of The Spectacular Spider-Man. I refuse to buy four seperate volumes, when it should be released as a complete set like the first season was.

10. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

Don't remind me. I'm starting to worry they'll never release season two of TSSM. :sad:

11. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator Moderator

Before Netflix it would have worried me. When I moved from San Jose to Colorado Springs, and my moving costs were determined in large part by weight, I got rid of all my VHS, and most of my DVDs.

There is very little that I want to watch really badly that I can't get via netflix, either through the mail or via their streaming service; heck, I watched the first season of TSSM on their site, and queued the rest. Same with W&tXM (except I watched the first 12 eps on Marvel.com). With few exceptions - JLU, B:TAS, and Gargoyles, for example - having immediate access just isn't a big deal anymore.

Except wanting to support AEMH - that's worth the cost of the DVD set, even though Marvel has put a lot of them up for streaming. If they had toys, I'd buy them - my kid would enjoy them, and I'd be enhancing the value of the license for the brand, in theory encouraging them to make season three.

12. my_hero

my_hero New Member

I know what you mean...That's why I bought the Canadian release of THE SUPER HERO SQUAD SHOW - Complete season 1 for $20 including shipping..;)

13. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

I'm not hopeful of a complete second season set of Spectacular Spider-Man being released at all in the near future. Naturally, Sony would want to maximize their profits by releasing single volumes first before releasing a season set.

However, this strategy is only meaningful within a certain amount of time. Keep the individual volumes on sale for too long a time and they'll begin to cannibalize potential future sales of a complete season set release. This is undoubtedly why the time window between the last volume release of the first season and the first season complete set was just a few months; because the individual volumes were only out for a few months at the time and hence there were still lots of customers holding out for the complete first season.

The first season set was also released on Sony's own volition; that is, it wasn't tied into a Spider-Man movie theatrical or home video release, so you'd expect releasing season two wouldn't be a problem either since there's no new Spider-Man movie due for a while. Yet here we are at the beginning of 2011 and still no sign of a complete second season set.

I can only think a possible reason for why Sony never did a second season set was the cancellation of the series and transfer of Spider-Man's animated rights back to Marvel. Coincidentally or not, the formal public admission that the series had indeed been cancelled came just a couple of weeks before the final individual volume was released. Sony may not have wanted to put any more resources into a series/franchise that they no longer had any direct control of, and hence no second season set.

Whatever the actual reasons behind there being no complete second season release of the series, I feel I've held out long enough myself and will finally simply purchase the individual volumes while the opportunity still exists.

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

In my mind, I know you're right, but in my heart, I hope you're wrong.

I'm going to try to hold out on purchasing the seperate volumes of season two until the end of summer. I'll hold out until then, but after that, if there is still no complete second season set, I will have no choice.

15. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Member

For anyone who's interested, The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Animated Collection is now up for purchase on the CV website.

http://www.clearvision.co.uk/produc...-Animated-Collection-DVD-Box-Set-7-Discs.html

I'm not sure who this will really appeal to. Most of us must have the individual releases by now, either the CV ones or the earlier Liberation versions. Personally I like my shows in season sets, not a collection of anything with Hulk in the title.

Is any one planning on getting the Original Spider-Man set? I'd be interested to know if it's three amarays (in a large O-ring) with a season each. If any one could post a picture, that would be great.

16. imp

imp New Member

I think it will be more like the Complete X-men collection, so a big O-ring with a Digipak-like interior: link

17. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Member

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I meant to thank you for posting those pictures before (as I was the one who asked) but by the time I got around to it the thread was closed.

18. Dangerous2099

Dangerous2099 New Member

There ain't gonna be no season 2 set.
    If it did not happen last X-mas it was never gonna happen.
    So I ordered the s2 volumes from amazon recently instead.
    Best to do that before they go out of print!
    Then you will be sorry!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  19. Bat-Fan Beyond

I suspect if they do go out of print, then we'll get a complete season 2 set.

Like I said, I'll give it 'til the summer.

20. supergirl's pal

supergirl's pal Give us a SBFF Animated Series

Me too! I really want an AEMH Wasp figure on my shelf. Maybe we'll see something next month at the New York Toy Fair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.