1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel Animated Features" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss all the latest news and updates on the direct-to-video animated features from Marvel Animation and Lionsgate Home Entertainment!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thor: Tales of Asgard - Now Available!
    For the latest news, check out both Marvel Animation Age and the latest posts in this very thread!

For the latest information on what's coming to DVD from the Animated Marvel Universe, check out the links below:

-Marvel Animation Age
    -Toon Zone News

Related Threads:
    -Marvel Animated Features News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Note #1: Please mark any spoilers appropriately.
    Note #2: Please keep this topic, and the discussion found within, on-topic. Thank you.

Want to know what DC Animation DTVs are being released? Click here for more!

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Mod Note: Discussion continued from previous installment of thread.

While Planet Hulk sounds kinda cool, I'm mad at Marvel for prolonging the Thor DTV. I mean, why?

3. joltman

joltman Member

Wow, that sucks. We went from getting two a year to officially only getting one a year. It's one thing when it gets pushed a little farther out, but over a whole year?!? That seems excessive. As said above, the only possible explanation would be for it to line-up with the live-action Thor release.

4. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

Planet Hulk Trailer Released

[link]

If ya ask me they could have made the Hulk look alittle more feirce in this, other then that it looks pretty cool:cool:

Mod Note: Link removed to illegally uploaded copyrighted material. Linking to illegally uploaded material is strictly prohibited at this forum. Please only link to official content, please.

5. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

hulk coherent? :eek:

6. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

looks pretty good, but I just want to get this one thing right and that is this is a movie and not a tv show?

7. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

its a movie

8. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

So the people on this planet must be uber-strong in order to keep Hulk as a warrior for their games, right?

It was my understanding that the more time Hulk spent on the planet, the more intelligent he became. Then again this is what I got from people who actually read the Planet Hulk series. I myself have not read it.

9. tedcassidy

tedcassidy Member

Yeah, this stinks.... I was very excited for Thor Tales of Asgard to come out this fall.....:mad: The Warriors Three are my favorite Asgardians, and I was ready to see more of them in this new DVD!!! Now comes the long wait....:sweat:

10. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

That was not the case. The Hulk was already intelligent before he went to that planet.

Little known fact to those non comic book readers or those fans who only know the Hulk through the live action TV series,the movies,and most of his animated series and appearances, the Hulk was very intelligent for the first several years of his comic book existence. He was also very intelligent in most episodes of the animated series from the 60's. Up until about a year or two ago, the comic book version of the Hulk had been intelligent since the mid to late 80's.

11. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown Member

absolutely rediculous. there is no reason AT all to delay thor for TWO years...we saw animatics 6 months ago...this is stupid, all to tie in with the live action movie which ALSO got pushed back a year to 2011. this is just beyond stupid and marvel is making me super mad...wow i sound like an idiot, but seriously. we got 2 in 2006, 2 in 2007, and 1 for 08 (next avengers got pushed back from early 08 to sept 08 ), 1 for 09, 1 for 10, and 1 for 11. dc's got it right...3 for 2009, that's what's up

12. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Seriously. Marvel seems to have conceded the DTV battle to DC. I mean, if they must delay for some bull reason to 2011, at least they could develop a second movie for late 2010 as a holdover. Hell, I'd even take another Iron Man movie which could tie in with IM2.

Since the issue is probably about sales figures, Marvel could also remedy the problem by making movies based on more recognizable/adult story lines. I mean, regardless of quality Superman Doomsday is obviously going to sell better than Dr. Strange. Next Avengers was better than I expected, but its a tough sell for the intended audience. Now New Avengers would have been a slam dunk for sales. I hope Marvel doesn't just revert to making a kiddie tie in to each live-action film to make a few bucks.

13. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I don't think they decided to make something to tie into the film; it's just that they saw this could get some better marketing if it's next to the movie. And since it's a "how these characters came to be what they are now" story it does feel like a prequel to the film.

At least that's my justification for it.

I do hope they're already in the process of doing another DTV for late 2010 release.

They're already doing that with Planet Hulk and kind of did it with Ultimate Avengers. What other stories could they adapt to make great animated features?

14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yea I see it the same way. Thor isn't a well known character and making him a teen probably isn't going to help when it comes to some of the fans. So putting it up close to the big movie will probably help it sales wise. I would assume they have another DTV lined up for 2010.

Yea and lets not forget DC's haven't all been adaptations of popular stories. Right now they only have 2, soon to be 3 with Public Enemies. Honestly I don't think that really has much effect as most people who buy these things have never read those stories.

15. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

I would disagree that familiarity has no effect. I never read New Frontier, but I knew what it was, and was aware of its reputation. That did build my anticipation for the movie.

On the other hand, I agree that not all of the movies need to or should be based on popular stories. Hulk Vs was maybe my favorite of the line, and it sold well too, and as far as I know, it was an original tale(s).

Having said that, I think Marvel Zombies would be a hit. The Infinity Gauntlet and House of M could also be big.

16. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

From what I understand, there was a bit of a changing of the guard with Marvel Animation -- I believe Craig Kyle is leaving and moving up to co-producing the Marvel live-action films, while Joe Quesada will be wearing another hat at Marvel by getting involved as a producer with Marvel Animation.

17. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown Member

yeah but wasn't thor supposed to come out like, this month? even if there was a change in the chain of command wouldn't this have been FAR too late to do anything about?

18. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Active Member

hopefully there are more DTV's planned, exploring characters that haven't been used yet.. Daredevil, Power Man & Iron Fist, Strikeforce Morituri, Power Pack..

19. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Strikeforce Morituri would be awesome, but that will never happen because of the rights which Marvel either doesn't own or only owns a share of.

There was an intended live-action television series planned, but I believe it was aborted before it ever got off the ground.

20. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

I could Easily see a power pack DTV, Since Quesada is working more closely with them now. In fact im hoping that all the younger hero teams get DTV's eventually. Ecspecially Runaways.

Also Would Love to See Some Lesser Known Characters get some time in the spotlight in a DTV or 2, be it Cameo or in a Short. like the ones DC are Doing.

(& Marvel Zombies DTV anyone!?):evil: