1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

MARVEL and Square Enix Collaboration

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jan 26, 2017.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

Announced today is MARVEL's partnership with Square Enix to bring big titles to the home video system. That's right, no more Android/iPhone. Bringing Avengers and many others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Square Enix's Twitter mentions it specifically is a multi-game project (hopefully no mobile games)

• Like Like x 2
  3. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

Well, I think they may be returning to game systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Magus

Magus The Boss

Curiosity perked. Is this the same team behind Tomb Raider and Deus Ex? If so, I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Two different studios but yes CD has been behind TR for awhile now and Eidos Montreal does the most recent Deus Ex games.

Interesting, with Insomniac doing Spider Man, thats 3 well known triple A devs working on big license games. There's good and bad with that but part of me is hoping they turn out good. The similarities between how games are now and movies is getting more and more abundant.

When Rocksteady released AA, it showed what can be done with these properties, and they weren't a big time studio and arguably still aren't, at least not on the level of a Insomniac for example. But no one really ever stepped up. There have been other good comic based games like TWD from TellTale, but overall not a whole lot. The hope is these guys who's bonafides are legit can do something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if this means we'll see them developing multiple solo titles for each of the Avengers teased in the video :)?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I love that Marvel is making good on their recent promise to make a bunch of quality games. A Spider-Man platformer for PS4, another Marvel vs Capcom, a GotG game from Telltale, and now this!

I'm gonna be spending a lot of money this year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

What are the chances we'll see some X-Men games, or will these all be projects basically on whatever character is getting a Marvel Studios movie?

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

TBH, as of now, it seems unlikely that we'd get any games starring non-MCU characters; heck, so far none of the games I mentioned even have FOX characters appearing at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

The teaser seemed to suggest Hulk, Iron Man, Cap and Thor. I would like to see a Ultimate Alliance style roster that has Avengers, X-Men and none affiliated characters.

Wolverine probably won't be too big a stretch but I can't see ya getting the FF.

I am just glad to see Marvel back on consoles, they haven't really had much of a presence since the PS2 era.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey, you're not dissing the Beenox Spider-Man games for PS3, are you? ;) Shattered Dimensions was excellent, and Edge of Time wasn't bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Shattered Dimensions was brilliant, wasn't as taken by Edge of Time.

I did throughly enjoy the Wolverine game for the PS3 as well, I just think the glory times for variation was the PS2 era. We had Spidey, Hulk, X-Men, Iron Man, FF, Wolverine, Punisher, Ultimate Alliance, Ghost Rider, Blade and others that I'm probably forgetting.

13. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

The situation with the movie rights will probably mean that Fantastic Four and X-Men are not going to be in games anytime soon, which is probably very disappointing for a lot of fans, but it might actually be a good thing. Now we could get games based on characters who would have never been considered for games before (at least not outside of Ultimate Alliance and Lego Marvel style ensembles).

We could get fun puzzle action game based on Ant-Man or fantasy RPG based on Doctor Strange, to give few examples.

14. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

i can see squaresoft doing a marvel game in the style of kingdom hearts

that might be kinda cool for people who DON'T like any of disney's characters!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Darkanine

Darkanine Crystal Ranger

Doubt if it'll happen, but a Marvel Ultimate Alliance/X-Men Legends 3 would be so cool. Those games were a big part of my childhood, and they still hold up (though the PC port of X-Men Legends 2 controls weirdly..).

• Agree Agree x 1