1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Manga or Light Novels That Should Get Anime Adaptations

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by TheVileOne, Mar 20, 2017.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Anyway, after recently discovering an awesome light novel and manga series called Goblin Slayer, I'm wondering if there are any other solid anime or manga you know of right now that should get an anime adaptation? Similar to Black Clover, UQ Holder, or Death March, which I believe have anime TV shows in the works.

Goblin Slayer is my top choice right now, it's a very interesting, dark, violent and slightly subversive dark fantasy story. It's not a regular dude gets transported to a fantasy world story. Instead, the main hero is a guild adventurer, but he only wants to hunt and go on quests to kill goblins. It uses a lot of video game and tabletop game tropes, but in a very practical way. It starts with a young heroine forming a new adventurer group, and they are all brutally dispatched. Then the Goblin Slayer shows up and sort of presents all these practical and realistic ideas to fantasy combat, which are interesting. While the story is very dark and often times brutal, it still has a lot of humor and appealing characters. Goblin Slayer is an odd duck, but he's very interesting. After a childhood trauma, he has a one track mind about killing goblins. The manga has some hilarious and radical moments. The goblins are sort of reminiscent of Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash but a lot more brutal and deadly.

The New Gate is another one. This is a fantasy light novel/manga series where the protagonist is a human transported to a game world. It's a little similar to Overworld in that the main hero has way OP, near god-tier level stats in this fantasy world he's stuck in, but unlike Lord Ainz, the hero in this story is actually a good person and wants to help people and do good deeds. I like the story mainly for its likable heroes and also its strong world building elements.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

The fact Vinland Saga hasnt gotten an anime adaption is beyond criminal, its like the best parts of Berserk and Kingdom. Another one is dorohedoro; grimy locations, dark humor and a hot muscle girl what more can you ask for

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheVileOne

Reporter

I'd like to see Dorohedoro animated because it's just so dang bizarre. I used to think JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was bizarre, then I discovered Dorohedoro, which is like JoJo dialed up to over 9,000.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Cherry and Berry, a kids' series in Otomodachi about two girls who use magic crayons to transform into anything they wish.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Happy Easter!

I wish they had me more in the anime more. :(

6. TheVileOne

Reporter

Interesting concept.

7. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

I would love to see Peach Fuzz (basically an american manga) become a children's series. But As for anime, I would say Psyren, of course. It's the many Shounen Manga desperately needed to become animated.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 3ngag3

3ngag3 Member

My choice would have to be Rising of The Shield hero. Basically, 4 guys get transported to another world, but right from the get go, Shield is treated like crap by everyone around him and he basically has to start with nothing while the others get free passes. It also features one of the most satisfying moments of any light novel I've checked out so far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zeether

Zeether Trombe!

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer needs an anime badly. The action scenes plus the art style scream "get Madhouse, MAPPA or Trigger to animate this"

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

A Shonen Jump manga that's getting an anime soon is Black Clover. It's basically Naruto or One Piece, but instead of ninjas, it's mages and magic knights. Hero is a dimwitted, plucky kid like Naruto who has no natural magical power but wants to be the Magic Emperor (yeah it's definitely like Naruto). His rival/best friend is basically Sasuke-lite, but with a lot less emo.

A light novel series turned manga that just got an anime going is Akashic Records to the Bastard Magical Instructor.

Death March light novel/manga is also getting a TV anime. For Death March, think Re:ZERO except not as mean-spirited.

For 3nag3, I'm honestly surprised Rise of the Shield Hero hasn't gotten an anime yet since it seems gamers/neets getting transported to RPG-like worlds have been steadily gaining steam as of late. There are a lot of variations of that scenario, but Rise of the Shield Hero seems like it would work well in anime format. I guess I'm a little surprised that Death March is getting its own anime first. Both have very similar plots, except the hero in Death March as a game designer sort of knows all the rules and outs, so he can basically get out of any scrape without incident. Death March protagonist is basically like a gamer playing through an RPG on God Mode.

11. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

KYO'NYUU IMOUTO Active Member

Seitenkango. Shinyuu would make a great one cour series. It's the story of a high school delinquent named Kyou who has a disease that turns him into a girl. The original story of 570 pages covers his physical and mental transformations as he and his roommate and best friend Souji change from mere friends to lovers. It's a truly heart-warming series, although the copious amounts of sex scenes would probably make it difficult to do even as a late night series. Still, I want to see someone give it a go. It's a true masterpiece for web comics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Cells at Work would be a really fun series to see animated. The concept of cells of the body personified works surprisingly well when you don't break the immersion of showing the actual body they inhabit and just treat like it's own world, which it kinda is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheVileOne

Reporter

FYI, a recent manga that's getting an anime is the somewhat ecchi high school romance comedy Hajimete no Gal. Premieres in July.