1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Man of Steel" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Look right here for all your questions, concerns, and scoops on the new upcoming Man of Steel live-action feature film featuring Superman! This thread will be updated as new information becomes available, and please remember to stay on-topic, please.
    [​IMG]
    For the latest news and scoops on Man of Steel, the next theatrical Superman feature, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Note #1: Discussion continued from Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Possible Spoilers).
    Note #2: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, ON-TOPIC. Warnings will be issued, if necessary. This thread is to discuss future Superman movies, so please STAY ON-TOPIC!

2. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

What have we learned so far? Will it be a sequel? A prequel? Another relaunch?

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

It's a relaunch, or reboot as it's called.

4. Blue Beetle

Blue Beetle Member

The problem with Returns is very simple, it was a love letter to the Reeve's films and that isn't what the franchise needed. Was it a bad movie? not really, it feels just like the original superman films which are fine movies just not the movie that Superman needed to get people excited in todays age.

By eliminating that you eliminate all the things that were wrong with the movie like campy Luthor and all of that. The Superman returning after years was interesting and the superbaby was actually a great idea, I though it was good. I also liked the costume, I thought it was great. The new Superman movie has to be like STAS where people can see him not only a super character but someone relatable.

5. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

6. dmxx116

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

He really didn't do a bad job. It would be nice to see someone tim burton-esque. Who does look somewhat alien.

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

nolan interviewing directors for superman:
    http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/chris-nolan-looking-for-superman-director/
    i hope they add more names to the list because i think those are some pretty poor choices. if i HAD to pick one, i would go with snyder. but even then i dont want him. i think a superman film by him would have the wrong kind of "feel" too it.

the director for the next film has to be an established big name director (bryan singer is one, lets get him to meet with nolan) heck nolan himself is obviously an established director. with the exception of snyder, (and i said this before) how are all the ad's going to look when it says "a film directed by ___________"? exactly, everyone is going to say and think "who's that?".

9. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I hope they don't use Luthor as the primary villain in the reboot. I mean, yes, he should be there in some capacity, maybe pulling a few strings here and there, but as the main baddie? No. We've had Luthor at the forefront of four out of five movies.

It's time to give Supes a new big screen threat like Brainiac, Metallo, or even the Toyman (The animated series version, not the comics version)

10. Bat-Fan Beyond

The problem I see with Tony Scott and Zack Snyder is that they are established directors and producers in their own right. That may cause a bit of conflict when collaborating with Chris Nolan who also has his own distinct vision for projects.

I personally do not want to see Tony Scott on this film as his style is totally not what I want for a Superman movie. Zack Snyder on the other hand has a great eye for visuals and is usually very reverential to the source material, but sometimes gets a little too over-stylized with the visual effects and cinematography. That may clash with Nolan's common approach of being very realistic and grounded.

Of this list of possible directors, I think we'll probably wind up with either Duncan Jones or Matt Reeves, since both filmamkers seem young, ambitious and talented enough while possibly remaining pliable enough under Nolan's guidance.

11. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

which leaves me to this question:
    who is the man in charge of the movie? nolan or the director? if nolan is the boss, i can see why he would choose an "unknown" veteran director, an unestablished director, or a non big name director, ect, if in the end nolan is calling the shots.

even thought we've seen this in nolan's previous work, there is no way his superman is going to be "realistic" and grounded.

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Do you know the story behind the movie Poltergeist?

Steven (Jaws) Spielberg was the producer and Toby (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) Hooper was the director. In the end, the Poltergeist we all saw was essentially Spielberg's movie.

I hope you are right about that.

13. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Who care what the ads look like? As long as the director makes a good movie I'll be happy.

14. dmxx116

15. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I'm not sure it will work right, that is all I can say about Nolan directing something so supernatural. Will watching Inception help me ease up a little?

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably not as Nolan won't be directing it. He'll have his say an influence of course but I think for the most part( hopefully ) he'll keep his presence behind the camera to a minimum.

17. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

Honestly, Snyder wouldn't be a bad choice, ironically though I'd still hope to eventually see him do "Dark Knight Returns" in about 10 years.

18. dmxx116

19. Bat-Fan Beyond

Hmmm, He's actually not a bad choice to consider for director. Might be more suited than any of the other directors considered thus far.

20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually wouldn't mind him as director. I'm a huge fan of BTTF and Forrest Gump and I think that kind of tone would really work for a Superman movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.