1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Man of Steel" Movie Pre-Release Discussion, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoahJake

WoahJake Member

I think the second movie should take place a few years in the future showing superman as a glorified hero, then it would be easier for it to be more light-hearted

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I don't think the world Superman needs to inhabit is a bright one. I think the character ought to be steadfast in his execution--a hot knife through butter--but otherwise the film itself doesn't need to play to an idea of being light-hearted as if it were a rule.

3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

There was an interview with one of the producers where she pretty much said as much. They wanted to dispel the talk about how Superman is irrelevant in a modern context by putting him in a world that more closely resembles ours, as opposed to the bright, Disneyfied vision of Metropolis you see in most DC comic books.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Well. The review rating over at rottentomatoes.com continues to drop and is now at 58%. I really honestly didnt think we would have a "nail biter" here in that regard a day before the film's release. I know that Superman Returns' higher review rating and comparison to it is irrelevant, and that all the reviews are most likely not even in yet. All that matters is how much money the film makes so we all get this Justice League movie and solo films for DC characters that aren't Batman. IF Man Of Steel "fails" (because in the case of Superman Returns, 200 million dollars and 6th highest moive of the year is a "failure") and the box office performance when compared to both films are virtually the same, or isn't significantly higher, I fully intend to gloat the rest of my life and say "I told you so" in my defense of Superman Returns.

FINAL PREDICTION BEFORE SEEING MAN OF STEEL: Superman shaves by rubbing his face really hard with super speed and the friction burns/cuts his beard off.

5. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

57 percent at RT and still dropping. What was this about Nolan producing again? From what the reviews are saying, it's just more of Synder's usual style over substance, And I know how desperately everyone wanted Superman to punch someone after the snoozefest that was Returns - myself included - but did they really have to make that the focus of the entire movie?

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Top critics is at 55%. What is it with DC and critical flops with movies that aren't Batman films?

7. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm hoping it's just bad nerd of mouth. Once regular movie goers that aren't so invested in critiquing it start chiming in it will have a decent box office and audience rating.

8. rggkjg1

Well. Just got home from my Wal-Mart screening. I didnt want to come back to the pre-release thread. I really wanted my previous post to be the last before the film's release. I'm sorry, (in my opinion - obviously) but if it isn't obvious early on, by the end of the film you'll definitely see WHY there are so many bad/rotten reviews and why the number keeps dropping.

Whatever my feelings are for Man Of Steel, it's not because I'm bitter that I didn't get my Superman Returns sequel.

There isnt a post credits sequence, so you can all leave as soon as they roll if you wish.

9. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

I didn't know there were Walmart screenings.
    How long has that been going on?

10. rggkjg1

Back in mid May, participatingWal-Mart offered tickets for 7pm showtimes for the closest/local theater to that Wal-Mart location. Sorry you're just finding out about this now.

Not sure if this is relevant or means anything, but my theater the movie was screened in wasnt exactly sold out or filled to capacity. I saw the 2d showing and there was a 3d showing today as well. Maybe that did better.

11. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Thanks.
    It wouldn't have helped me tonight anyhow, but I guess now it's something to keep an eye out for.

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Official talkback coming up at 12:01am (ET).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.