1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Man of Steel" Movie Pre-Release Discussion, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Good thing the nearest 7-11 to me is about 4 miles... :eek: :sweat:

... TBT, I don't mind the "real" locations, just as long as I can see this movie with my kids and have it be a fun Superman movie. :)

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Speaking of product placement, tangentially that Hardee's commercial with the construction workers did crack me up. They should do one with an insurance company.

3. Laugh Anyway

Laugh Anyway Member

There have also been a good number of Nokias

4. sun

sun You stay, I go

We will know very soon, but..in general..No Reviews ahead of time..not good.

For a long time, I look to reviews ahead of time for some clue. A clue to whether or not, a film is worth it. No matter the hype, the professional reviews on the whole, are general somewhat accurate. Ok, here is an example. Star Trek..(the one out now) got outstanding reviews before it ever was released. (In fact, based on preshowings, Disney hired the director of this Star Trek, to do the new Star Wars).. It turns out, that those are quite accurate. All who I know who have seen it, say it is really an outstanding movie. (disclaimer, I have not seen it, but will) .... I went to Rotten Tomatoes a few moments ago. No reviews for the "Man of Steel" Generally not a good sign over time. Hype is nothing. I have noticed over a long period of time, that when a studio does not allow pre showing a film to reviewers, it usually, not always has a flaw, something really wrong with it. In a few days, the truth will be known. There is a good chance that I am wrong, so what else is new?

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The review embargo is supposed to end by the end of today I think so that's the whole week to read them.

6. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I'm hearing good things about the movie on other forums. I'm glad I didn't bother memorizing the release date, 'cause now the wait is starting to get hard. :p

7. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Based on overall positive impressions from both within the studio and advanced screenings, Deadline.com is reporting that Warner Bros. is fast-tracking a Man of Steel sequel.

The Man of Steel review embargo lifts tonight, and officially hits theatres Friday, June 14th, 2013 (with limited June 13th, 2013 previews). Naturally, the official talkback for Man of Steel will be posted up at 12:01pm (ET) on Thursday night/Friday morning.

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Man, assuming this movie comes out 2015 there is almost no way Snyder is going to be able to make a 2016 deadline for a Justice League movie. :p

9. Laugh Anyway

Laugh Anyway Member

So does the review embargo not lift until tonight at midnight?

10. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Seems like it, although I'm not sure if that is Eastern or Western time.

11. WoahJake

WoahJake Member

So they're already planning a MOS 2? Awesome! But does the 3 picture deal only count for MOS sequels? Or Overall? Man of steel, Man of steel 2, Justice league?

This is my dream schedule:

1. Man Of Steel
    2. Man Of Steel 2
    3. Superman/Batman: Worlds Finest
    4. The Flash
    5. Wonder Women
    6. Aquaman
    7. Justice League: Superman, Batman, Wonder Women, The Flash, Aqua Man, Martian Man Hunter, and Cyborg
    8. Man Of Steel 3
    (If the movie deal is possible to extend, that is.)

12. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

There's a review for the movie on comicbookresources.com and yahoo.com. I took a quick glance at them, and what I got from them was that the writer/reviewers got what they wanted and were satisfied, but still felt there was more left to be desired. I'm sure those reviews had spoilers, which is why I only took a quick glance.

13. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The consensus I'm seeing is that Cavill, Adams, Shannon, Fishburne and the others all give great performances, the fights are excellent, but that there isn't a lot of depth and some of the dialogue is hammy. Even the really positive reviews seemed to indicate that it's a very style over substance film, and that the writing is kind of weak.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think a Superman movie that doesn't bore people to tears like the last one is a big achievement.

14. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

69% at Rotten Tomatoes. Obviously I hope it'll go higher, but that's disappointing so far. Superman Returns has a 76% as a point of comparison.

15. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Honestly the only outlets that matter to me have been giving really positive reviews for the movie. Besides there's still about 200 more reviews to be posted up on Rotten Tomatoes. And besides some of those negative reviews actually look to be positive. The review at the Superman Homepage was the one I was looking forward to the most given the background of that site.

Superman Homepage - News: June 11, 2013: "Man of Steel" Movie Review and World Premiere Report

16. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Down to 65 now. A common theme in the negative reviews seems to be that it's just no fun, which is worrying for me.

17. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Sounds like Superman should have kept the red underwear :anime:.

Looking at the trailers for the movie(and Superman outfit) does feel more a bit somber and depressing. Feels more like Batman movie. That probably why some critics are saying is not fun.

18. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

A lot of them are saying it has no heart and no joy, which is a pretty unexpected thing to hear about a movie about a man who can fly. Even the positive reviews mostly seem to damn it with faint praise.

It's at 60 at Rotten Tomatoes now.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This was a positive and, I thought, rather thoughtful review on Man of Steel. It's interesting to me in that it doesn't deny or attempt to overlook the seriousness but is rather convicted that it all ultimately works to the movie's benefit.

'Man of Steel' review: finally, the Superman we deserve | The Verge

A couple of money quotes from my POV:

I can see how some might not like this approach, but personally this just makes me more interested to see the movie ASAP.

20. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I’m not too surprised when you consider the previews and posters we’ve got.
    The Christopher Reeve movie is still full of spine tingling hope and excitement of a fantasy coming to life. The Superman logo is flying off the screen and it made you want to cheer. Lois Lane has those fantastic roof top moments where Superman’s power is overwhelming yet exhilarating.
    In this version they are selling that if you have super powers you should be locked up. Looks like Lois has to visit him jail. They gave a new meaning to the Superman symbol, and I expect in the end it’s delivered on, but it looks like the majority of the movie is about keeping the man down.

And I don’t get why they would go that way. In Iron Man, Tony Stark is irrepressible. Anyone that tries to keep him down is made to look like a chump. His challenges and rivals could have been taken as a grim, dark affair, but Robert Downy Juniors Tony Stark is wouldn’t have any fun with that. He’s always overly optimistic about his own ability to succeed and that’s why people loved that movie.

I guess we should stay positive.
    A Superman movie, more then with any other character, should always be headed up, up and away.

#320 Aquadementia, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.