1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Man of Steel" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 14, 2013.

?

"Man of Steel" - Discuss and Rate this Movie

1. *****

14.7%
  2. ****1/2

11.8%
  3. ****

32.4%
  4. ***1/2

8.8%
  5. ***

17.6%
  6. **1/2

11.8%
  7. **

2.9%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Look. We can all keep going around and around and around in Circles with this but what it all boils down to is that Everyone is gonna want to see the version of Superman They grew up with

2. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Is there a "like" button for comments, cause I agree. lol... I have said far too much about this subject, and am letting it go now, but your post I think hits it right on the nose. :)

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Except today's kids. Can you really imagine any of them being inspired by THIS Superman?

4. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I know, I know... I said I would stay out of this... but one last comment... It may not mean much to everyone... But I have never in my life seen as many kids wearing Superman T-Shirts and having toys and other memorabilia as I have since MOS came out. (And despite not everyone liking the movie,) The film did do what the creators intended... It re-introduced Superman to the world... He has always been there but almost was irrelevant for the past many years. But now he is back, and I for one am very happy, for more reasons than just being a superman fan... Superman is more than just something to watch... He is a symbol of hope and goodness and people know that... Kids and adults. and I believe this incarnation is just as cool and relevant as other's.

Though, I do agree with some comments earlier, I hope they show Superman doing more Superman-y things in the next film... And also hope it will appeal to everyone not just for the sake of an action movie, but for the ideas and good things that Batman and Superman stand for. ... And also to make an amazingly fun action filled quality movie!

K, I am done now... lol. ;)

D.

#204 Dusty, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  5. Shawn Hopkins

The MOS Superman is most definitely NOT a symbol of hope and goodness. He's closer to a metaphor for our fears of terrorism and the outsider.

The fact that a bunch of cheap merchandise was pushed out through the movies unprecedented marketing tie-ins doesn't mean much.

6. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I guess just can't stay out of this discussion, lol... Seriously though, I do wonder why so much hate for this movie? I totally understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea but man coming here on TZ , it seems if one mentions MOS... They better prepare for debating how horrible the movie is. And how nothing good about it or any good came from it. I am curious, is there anyone else on this forum who enjoyed MOS or am I alone? Also tie-ins of course count, they show how people support something. :)

7. Shawn Hopkins

Maybe the fact that lots of people hate it should be taken as evidence that it's bad, not that all of those people are strange. That doesn't mean you have to stop liking it, I like lots of objectively bad movies myself.

You're right about that tie-ins show how "people" support something, if you define corporations as "people."

8. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call Man of Steel a bad movie but I can't remember the last time a comic book movie was so divisive. Viewers either really loved it or really hated it. I don't think I've seen any in-between here. Personally I find it to be an average movie that is somewhat enjoyable but has its fair share of problems. I bought the Blu-ray because I do want to watch it again. Even though it does a few things wrong I found it was some rewatchability to it.

9. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Well being that New 52 superman is unreadable....I don't know...I just can't think of anything else to say

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

After reading various forums and reviews, it seems to me that the reason is: People either hate the film due to its somber tone, the killing scene, and the "meh" script, or people like it for the awesome action scenes, and the fact that Superman gets to punch something this time. I'm in the latter group.

11. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I call them like I see em my friend. Its not that your simply saying i like Man of Steel its that your saying [insert movie here] was a joke compared to Man of Steel. Your calling other movies dumb while proclaiming Man of Steel one of the best comic book movies ever and simply hiding behind "its my opinion and I can't be wrong". You can like whatever movie you want but if your start making proclamations about this or that you better have more bullets in your holster other than "its my opinion". Because from what I can tell from our interactions, the fact that you have yet to challenge any of my points leads me to believe that you can't defend Man of Steel beyond simply saying "well I loved it".

12. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Dusty, here's an honest, innocent question: how is it that you love MoS but you hate New 52?

BTW, the Superman I "grew up with" was probably closer to the Byrne Superman than the Golden Age one, but I find myself liking the Byrne model less and less. I still have fond memories of those stories, but I just don't look back at that and think that's the best interpretation of the character. Actually, if I look at all the Supermen I "grew up with," e.g. Byrne, Reeve, Cain, etc., I guess you could say I can find some aspect I didn't like.

13. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

What are you talking about? "lots" of people (being a few or so here on TZ and some other places) does not prove anything. It proves that everyone else is just as much a "Fanboy" or "fangirl" as I am. My understanding is that they hate MOS cause Superman was "too violent" or didn't act like their traditional Superman. And I never called anyone strange :?. Dude what exactly is your problem, I said people as I saw PEOPLE; kids, teens, adults EVERYONE wearing, using, or playing with Superman memorabilia. I didn't see corporations running around my local park wearing stuff and saying "buy this or that, and support MOS!!!!"... Seriously what is the point of your post?... to prove I am wrong in liking something or that what I said was wrong when I said I saw people supporting the movie? This discussion is getting silly, I like the movie you don't. I think it best we leave it at that.

Because Nu 52 Superman acts much more aggressive and annoying than MOS or other incarnations I liked... plus I dislike his costume and his overall personality is lame. Atleast in MOS he doesn't have that horrid red belt and collar and "armor" stuff. I hated the re-vamps and erasing of history that NU 52 did. Also MOS isn't the Nu 52, they even said they based a lot of it off of John Byrne's Superman but also with their own twist. I never saw them compare it to the NU 52. Zack Snyder's costume choice was decided on how the costume would translate best to screen, I never read anywhere that it had to do with DC's new designs.

I never said it's my opinion and I can't be wrong. Please don't put words in my mouth. MY OPINION is MOS was better than many other Superhero films... you disagree?... awesome!!! I wouldn't have it any other way. I believe in free will. Also I haven't responded to too many of your post's directly as I figured my posting in general was enough... I didn't realize I needed to defend MOS or my views about the film, or that I need to justify myself on what I like or dislike to you and you alone... now that I know I need to do that... I'll do that............ (actually no, no I won't.) :rolleyes2:

But what I will do is shut up now. I realize past comments have upset people. I in no way meant my jabs at TDK, Iron Man, or Avengers to come across as "me being right," or to say "if you like those films you are silly." I meant and mean no offense in my statements. I have my view you all have yours, as I said before... maybe it's best we just leave it at that. :)

D.

#213 Dusty, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  14. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Yeah. The twist was that it was nothing like Byrne's Superman.

I actually recall reading that Zack wanted the red underwear but DC insisted Supes go without it.

15. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Disclaimer to everyone... I still plan on not going back to arguing/debating MOS...

But as for the last part of your post... the extras on MOS explain Zack Snyder's reasons, along with the book called "Man of Steel: Inside The Legendary World of Superman." Snyder goes into why he chose the costume design he did.
    In MOS's extras David Goyer talks about how Byrne's Krypton stuff was a large influence, but not Superman himself. And to clarify... sorry, I didn't mean Superman in MOS was similar to Byrne's Superman. I meant the Byrne's Krypton being similar to MOS's Krypton. I know I worded it horribly, sorry. lol

D.

16. BigFatHairyDeal

Of all of Byrne's original ideas for Superman, I'd say the birthing matrix was probably one of the things I liked the least. I was sorry to see it reincarnated in MoS. I guess on the bright side, Superman himself wasn't born that way.

Just like Byrne Superman, there are aspects of New 52 Superman I like, and some I don't like so much, but I think I'm going to like New 52 Superman more. I'm not one who demands "edginess" from Superman, but going back to some of his golden age roots was probably a good idea. Other than a few things here and there, though, I think there's enough similarities between Byrne and New 52 Superman that it's obvious you're reading more or less the same character. If I put Byrne Superman, Morrison New 52 Superman, and Snyder/Cavill Superman together, I'd say the oddball was Snyder/Cavill.

17. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

What's more important: that the movie be well written and Superman actually acts like he did in the comics, or the fact he gets to punch people? You see what I mean about MoS being no better than a Michael Bay Transformers movie?

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I know that you're technically right, but you know what? I would take an action-packed Superman with an okay script over a super boring Superman film with a "good" script. I want to see Superman punch something. I want to see him fight someone. I don't want to see him get beat up by Lex Luthor. Say what you will about Man of Steel, action-wise, it was closer to the excitement of the comics than Returns. Returns could have been a weepy soap opera on ABC.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

How sad that if a movie isn't wall-to-wall action, it's billed as a "weepy soap opera".

20. BigFatHairyDeal

Superman Returns was a weepy soap opera, though. If it had a massive fight scene instead of pushing an island into orbit, that wouldn't change the fact that it was overly-melodramatic, and on a individual emotional level, depressing in ways Man of Steel wasn't. Bryan Singer was aiming for a love story, and I think he got something equally emotionally but something hardly romantic.

Man of Steel was a disappointing movie, but I think comparing it to a Michael Bay film is kind of harsh. It does have some nice story beats distributed throughout the movie. Zod and Jor-El's complicated relationship wasn't bad. Jor-El and Kal-El's interaction isn't worse than Brando/Reeve. They had missteps with Lois, but there was enough to make me believe why Superman and Lois would respect and be sympathetic for one another.