1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Man of Steel" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 14, 2013.

?

"Man of Steel" - Discuss and Rate this Movie

1. *****

14.7%
  2. ****1/2

11.8%
  3. ****

32.4%
  4. ***1/2

8.8%
  5. ***

17.6%
  6. **1/2

11.8%
  7. **

2.9%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Superman has arrived...

[​IMG]
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall.
    But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
    Jor-El, Man of Steel

Man of Steel
    Release Date:
    June 14, 2013 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Zack Snyder
    Screenwriter: David S. Goyer
    Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff

Plot Summary: A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

Comments?

Related Discussions:
    Man of Steel: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman Returns Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman Unbound Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman Unchained Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Action Comics Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Adventures of Superman Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    All-Star Superman Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman: Last Son Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman: For Tomorrow Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    The Death of Superman Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman: Red Son Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman/Batman: Kryptonite Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman: The Man of Steel Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    Superman: Birthright Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

*Sigh* I really dont know what to say. This isn't a Superman movie. As one of the filmmakers recently said, it's a story of first contact with aliens (I'm paraphrasing). That's exactly what this is. First contact with aliens who threaten earth. I totally get and understand that Superman is an alien, and understand why this angle would want to be persued, but it just doesn't work for me here. Superman is also a cliched movie action hero in the film. Then there's the "story". For a movie that's a reboot, starting over, and retelling the origin, you'd think you'd get story/plot development at the very start of the movie to when we see Superman finally become Superman. I dont see any of that here. We're rushed in the Krypton sequence, we are rushed through Clark finding his away, and seemingly out of no where we suddenly have Superman. Then it goes right to the action. All the sequences that dont involve fighting or action, feel totally short or are once again rushed. In a movie filled with action and short/rushed non action sequences, there is no time to tell a story or develop the characters.

I'm not sure if this supposed to be legit, or a "parody" of the character/mythos. I can live with Lois Lane discovering Clark's secret in the manner here. What I dont understand is how Superman himself reveals "personal" information so casually about how and where he lived among us this entire time. He comes off as so open about it, why should he even bother making a "new" Clark Kent identity or protect the old one for when he's not Superman? Why doesn't he just stay Superman 24/7 since he's being so open about things? And of course at the film's conclusion, Clark makes absolutely no effort at all to disguise himself when he dons the glasses. As a big defender of "it's more than just the glasses", if no one at the Daily Planet recognizes him, there is a problem. Even before he puts his glasses on, he's casually walking around through Metropolis like a regular guy. Like no one would notice Superman walking around the street after revealing himself to the world in the manner this film shows us?

All I can say is good luck Warner Bros. Audiences wanted a Superman movie with more action and a villian Superman can physically fight. You delivered. But if audiences are also looking for more substance and something other than, or to go with the action as well, the future of DC on film looks pretty bleak if indeed Man Of Steel's performance/reception is going to be the deciding factor in future DC films.

3. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

For me this is the best Superman movie so far. Really liked the extended opening on Krypton. We rarely get to see that deep into that part of Superman's mythology and it was pretty interesting, I could see myself watching an entire movie based off that.

The casting was great, and the story was good too. But man, the action was crazy. The third act's action seems to go on forever but I loved it, so refreshing to see Superman actually cut loose in live-action since I feel like we've never seen that before especially to this magnitude.

Bring Man of Steel 2 with Luthor in tow.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I don't really like all these H.R. Giger-looking designs I've seen. Giger's stuff fetishizes sex and death. The only implication you can get from Kryptonian technology looking like Giger stuff is that they also fetishize sex and death. That's a really weird reinvention.

5. rggkjg1

And another thing. What exactly was the whole point of Gillette's "How Does He Shave?" promotion. The film doesnt even answer that question. Most likely because we all KNOW he uses heat vision in the mirror. And since the film doesnt offer us a new or alternative way of how Superman shaves, it should be appected more than ever that heat vision mirror is how he shaves. End of story.

6. Shawn Hopkins

The point was a lighthearted ad tie-in.

But he can't shave with heat vision. Superman is invulnerable to his own heat vision, as evidenced by the fact that no matter how big a blast he fires he never burns his eyebrows or eyelashes. It's his own energy, he would reabsorb it. Also, the guy can fly into the sun and not singe his hair. Even if his heat vision could affect his body, the heat he would have to generate would burn down a city. I don't care what John Byrne says.

7. rggkjg1

And the shaving debate continues on. Ha.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Also, if Superman is generating enough focused heat to burn his hair, he's generating enough focused heat to burn his skin. Byrne's explanation that his method of shaving has "toughened" his face is ridiculous, we're talking about heat here.

9. WoahJake

WoahJake Member

I think since Man Of Steel was about Kal-el dealing with his Kryptonian heritage that the sequel should be about his Earth life, and hopefully it doesn't take itself so seriously next time... Man Of Tomorrow 2016 anybody?

10. rggkjg1

Perhaps the "saddest" or "disappointing" thing for me regarding Man Of Steel is that I am more interested discussing these matters over the actual film just because a product promotion/tie in asks a question, yet the film it is promoting/tied into doesnt even answer the said question that is the basis of the entire promotion.

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Warner Bros. Pictures is reporting that Man of Steel pulled in an estimated $21 million during Thursday preview/midnight showings. The Wrap expands:

13. Shawn Hopkins

14. Captain Travis

Its worth going to see solely cause we Superman really do Superman things however Wake is right its totally joyless. It also features some pretty good performances from Zod,Faora, Jor-El, and Lois though she was underused.

15. Sard

Sard Member

Wow...who?

16. lukecage

lukecage Member

Even before he puts his glasses on, he's casually walking around through Metropolis like a regular guy. Like no one would notice Superman walking around the street after revealing himself to the world in the manner this film shows us?

Man i was thinking the same thing. lol

17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

This is the Superman film I've been waiting for. I've got like 75 years of story, this is not Christopher Reeve nor Welling and it pleased me. All fans know the mythos, we can get on to a bigger threat than Luthor. It exceeded my expectations and even though I bet WB sat Nolan and Snyder down to watch the entire DCAU for a week or so, it paid off.

The whole secret identity issue in superhero films is officially over as I have said time and again. For you Nolan fans, you can guess whether or not Lois knows who Clark is, I think we know the answer on that.

18. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Superman kills. That is my big issue with the movie. I know he's killed before, but he could've found another way. Superman would have found another way here.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the movie. I even thought Jonathan Kent's death was a pretty powerful scene when you actually think about what it means for both Clark and Jonathan. I was frustrated with it at first but then the whole point of that scene clicked. I liked so much of the movie even with it's weird pacing problem and the fact that this movie was too big for Zack Snyder to handle. Amy Adams made for a great Lois Lane and she was probably my favorite character in the movie. Zod was good, too. Cavill was great as Superman, he was. Everything about Krypton was great, even with some of the Giger-esque design works. The capsules used to send General Zod and his crew to the Phantom Zone looked really phallic which resulted in a few laughs from the crowd.

And the wide-scale destruction and Superman's seeming disregard for the well-being of others seemed a bit distracting and over the top. Millions of people obviously died here, and Smallville is absolutely ruined.

But I just can't get past Superman killing Zod the way he did. I do appreciate his reaction. He is visibly traumatized and crumbles into Lois' arms. But it still didn't sell it for me. This movie was a pretty big let down. Still better than Superman Returns, though.

19. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I was wondering how he was going to get out of it as he the family cowered in the corner. It made sense that Superman was left without options, and to analyse it further, what exactly would they have done with Zod had Superman not killed him? No prison would hold him and banishing him to the phantom zone was not an option but you are right... It felt very out of place to see Superman kill. I am not as up in arms about it as I probably would've been if I heard that he kills before I saw the movie. It was a very powerful scene.

I did thoroughly enjoy the film. I thought the cast were all superb, beyond Micheal Shannon who seemed slightly off from the rest of the cast. Some of his delivery felt corny, but Cavill, Crowe and Adams were very good. I especially liked Lois showing intelligence in investing Kal's true identity. Jimmy Olson wasn't missed... He would've been a shoe in, had he been included. Better to remain absent than feature him half assed.

I also have to say, given how often I have slagged off the Superman Returns suit, that this was a beautiful Superman costume. It's oh so Superman without being corny or childish.

My audience noticed that too. It was one of the few laughs in my theatre... There is not a lot of humour to be found in the film, is there?

One fault I would find... thousands upon thousands of innocent people seem to die in Metropolis, which looked like a bomb site when the final battle ceased... Superman makes no attempt to save them and shows no regard for them once they perish. It's entirely out f character giving how he risked everything to save his school bus and the rig workers earlier in the film. It's too odd that the citizens were overlooked.

But other than that, hats off to them. Warner Bros finally made a major DC movie that isn't Batman that didn't suck terribly.

With Synder now having a massive budget action film to learn from, I hope to see an even now impressive sequel.

20. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Mark Waid is a pretty well know comic book writer and an outspoken Superman fan, he wrote JLA for a while, the Superman: Birthright miniseries, a "Operation: Rebirth" story arc in Captain America, he's currently working a Daredevil run, he did that creator-owned book at Boom Irredeemable, and a number of other comics. I've never forgiven Boom for never releasing that last trade of their Farscape, but that's another topic for another time. They were going to give the main Superman title to him at one point, but they didn't. He's a veteran of the industry and understand superheroes pretty well. Having said that, his opinion wouldn't necessarily dissuade me. He's a comic book writer, he's bound to have different expectations than a film critic or film fan.

#20 Hanshotfirst1138, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013