1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make your own new cartoon idea!

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by All Star Blitz, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yes. Yes it is. Thanks for talking me out of my shell. :)

2. All Star Blitz

All Star Blitz What the heck am I doing?

That's exactly what I'm going for here, is all of us exchanging ideas. Maybe someone working at some animation studio is watching this thread and seeing the potential in a bunch of nostalgic twenty-somethings behind computer screens.

…Hey, I can dream.

3. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

Alrighty then, let me throw one of my ideas out in the open and see what happens.

Dog Days Afternoon's: Buck, a loyal, "man's best friend" type of dog, is forced to live with Laura, the somewhat pampered, wiener dog that doesen't know much about the nieghborhood she lives in. While the humans are out to work, the dogs have wierd and "whacky" adventures.

Well? Like it? Hate it? Tell me what you think. Me personally, I felt like I made the summary too generic.:shrug: I'll possibly add more later...

4. mowub

mowub Active Member

http://gsrobotcan.deviantart.com pics

Okay, here are the comics I'm writing... picture them as the Simpsons meets Futurama meets Invader Zim...
    (LONG READ)

All the comics are sister comics: They take place in the fictional city of Culler Beach, in an alternate universe where aliens, humanoids, and anthros live among humans. Each comic is shown from the perspective of a different person or people, and there will be occasions where a character will appear in more than one comic.

Hub the Bear
    The adventures of humanoids, anthropomorphs, and a little robot can! The story is about a green bear named Hub. He is in a long-term relationship with Violet, who lives with him. Hub's friend Phil, the can, lives in the house too. Other friends come and hang out there during the day.

Chars:
    Hubbard "Hub" Burke - 27 - The main character, a green bear. He's a nice person, but still hasn't found a job that he's good at. He often tries out different jobs to see if something clicks. Is jealous of Phil's business sense. Loves Violet a lot. Make him mad, and he might bust out his claws or fangs.
    Phil "The Can" Pethig - 5 (with the mind of a 20-year-old) - Hub's friend, a small blue robot can who can synthesize his own beverages out the top of his head. He runs the Phil's Soda company, and has made millions off it. Some of that money goes towards paying Hub's bills. He also is in charge of the restaurant Phil's Own in the food court in the Underground Mall, where he sells his own soda, as well as burgers, hot dogs and chips. He can also extend his legs to make himself taller. His creator, Terry, is a robotic engineer who created him in his sister Avalon's image. Is sometimes frustrated about having it so good.
    Violet Marks - 27 - Hub's wild girlfriend of an indeterminate humanoid species. As her name suggests, she has light purple skin, purple hair, kind of unpleasantly sexy at times, but still a good-natured person. She's tomboyish, and as a result, she and Hub get along great. She met Hub by chance, shortly after dumping her ex, and after a few dates, decided to move in with him. She plans on marrying Hub in ten years, when he "has a real full-time job."
    Garth Sarazen- 26 - Hub's friend, a big fat fox. They've known each other since they were little kids. He also grew up with Lorna, and the two tried a romantic relationship, but it didn't work out, and now they are just friends.
    Lorna Plaine- 26 - Garth's childhood friend and one-time lover, a gray cat with blue hair. While Violet is fun-loving, Lorna is quieter and more reserved.
    Fred Graphite - 30 - A short mustachioed walrus, and Phil's buddy. Loves golf, and uses some British expressions in his speech.
    Josh Cocoa - 8 - A little boy who lives across the street. His unseen parents are usually at work during the day, so sometimes he comes over to visit Hub. He is video game-buddies with Phil, and Violet practices for eventual motherhood by babysitting him sometimes.

Humanoid Life
    This comic is about the life of the Millichopes, an American family of multicolored humanoids living in the suburbs of Culler Beach, in an alternate reality of Earth. Yes, a cartoon family. It's not a very original idea, but I'm NOT a professional television writer. The family consists of Norm, his wife Audrey, his kids Sid and Julie, his sister Gamma (real name Marcia), and Gamma's boyfriend, Hugo. I have many characters designed, both human and human-like. The characters look different from regular humans, but they act exactly like them, and despite having some inhuman abilities such as PK and stuff, they do have human-like flaws. It's all about realistic personalities with some added physical abilities. The stories will not always focus on the Millichopes only, but may also be told from the point of view of people that the family knows, such as friends, love interests, fellow students or co-workers.

Chars:
    The Millichopes:
    Norm - 36 - Father, orange, former strong guy, now a phone and electronics technician. A caring person who loves his family more than anything. He wears sandals, symbolizing his bodybuilding days at beaches. Whereas most cartoon dads are imbeciles, Norm is actually intelligent, and smarter than his wife. He wishes he could become a human, but because it's impossible, has sort of a grudge against them.
    Audrey - 35 - Mother, light blue, a flexitarian dietician with psychic powers, including psychokinesis (PK) and transvection (ability to levitate and float), although if these powers are used for more than an hour, her energy is drained and her body becomes tired and exhausted. 5 years ago, she helped Gamma overcome obesity and lose lots of weight, despite that fact that she doesn't like her that much. Often views herself as more beautiful than she actually is.
    Sid - 14 - Son, lavender. He has a unique, almost "British" sense of humor, enjoys classic rock, and prefers music and TV from the 90s to current entertainment, with only a few exceptions. He mostly has a very critical view of 21st century entertainment, and hates things like no-talent bands that sell out, reality shows, and poor TV show writing. Finds some difficulty joining in other people's conversations, and because he doesn't like a lot of the things most kids his age like, he isn't that popular at school. He also has psychic powers, inherited from his mother. Wants to be a cartoonist when he grows up, or if that doesn't work out, a critic. Sid is the character I most indentify with, as it is basically myself as a 14-year-old alien.
    Julie - 13 - Daughter, bright yellow. Enjoys most of the music and TV shows that Sid hates. Somewhat irresponsible compared to Sid, and doesn't care too much about her parents. Hasn't found out exactly what she wants to do when she grows up, and although she doesn't appear to like Sid, she secretly looks up to him because he knows what he wants to do with his life.
    Gamma - 26 - Aunt whose real first name is Marcia. She uses the nickname "Gamma" because it makes her feel tough, like a "huge battle robot." She's light orange, looks pretty hot (but was pretty chunky as a child) and works at the Mexican fast-food restaurant Caliente. Gets along great with Sid and Julie, and is a bit more "fun" than Audrey, with whom she usually doesn't get along with.

Hugo Tungsten - 25 - Gamma's taco customer/eventual boyfriend. He's pure white (a squid descendant), a little stylish, but sometimes makes a pig of himself.
    Lowe Levo- 14 - Bully to Sid. He's blue, has beaten up Sid several times, and on occasion, has blackmailed Mr. Owub to get out of trouble. Lives next door to Pam.
    Mike Owub - 30s - Principal of Culler Junior High, a light green alien naga. Many students are creeped out by his large belly (which is often exposed), and rumors have been flying about what he does in the privacy of his own home. Has a wife named Ruby.
    Pam Sheesley - 25 - Gamma's pink, well-sculpted rival, who is a little obsessed with her body. Has on occasion gotten into physical scuffles with Gamma, whom she calls "Marcie." Lives next door to Lowe.

The Little Centaur
    A look into the life of a teenage centaur girl, the people she knows, and the ups and downs of having four legs.

Erin Quartz - 14 - Centaur (Human head and torso, horse legs and lower body), a quick runner, and the object of Sid's attraction. Hates carrots, and strangers who try to ride her. Sid is in love with her.
    Karen Quartz - 16 - Erin's older sister. A reverse centaur (Human body, horse head), bratty, and often treats Erin unkind, but deep down has nothing but respect for her. Sometimes feels like the oddball in the family because she's the only one with two legs instead of four (reverse centaurism was apparently a recessive trait).
    Marv Quartz - 41 - Erin's father, a centaur. Runs a successful online business.
    Clodagh Quartz - 40 - Erin's mother, a centaur. Fourth grade teacher at Culler Elementary.
    Avalon Pethig - 14 - Erin's cute light blue friend, also Chap and Phil's sister. Has supressed memories of a car accident in which she nearly got hurt. Often tormented by Vera. Good at math.
    Vera Goldfarb-Jones - 14 - A tan-skinned lizard girl. Aggressive, nasty, sarcastic, and somewhat harsh to people like Avalon. Claims Avalon is "an easy target." She considers Erin to be her friend, but Erin begs to differ. Is secretly afraid of the dark, and is rumored to be in love with Lowe.

AntVark
    Two former planet conquerors try to start new lives on Earth, finding jobs and trying to hook up. They occassionally face long-term repercussions of their former destructive life.
    Tony Antares - 26 - A short red ant. Seven years ago, his hatred for being pushed around as a short person led him to launch AntVark, a team bent on galactic conquest. This ended when a Filbertan rebeller knocked him into a coma. Before Tony awoke, Scott surgically erased his memory. Now he lives with Scott on Earth, unaware of his previous life. He has a deep Brooklyn/Italian accent, despite being a short person. He's kind of a jerk, and wonders why he's not popular with the ladies. He has a knack for robotics and constructing appliances, a skill leftover from his previous life.
    Scott Korovark - 25 - A purple aardvark, who is Tony's sidekick, despite being taller than him. He dislikes destruction, and is a real hit with women, something that makes Tony jealous. He is the only person who has any memory of the AntVark planetary conquest team and the horrors they committed.
    Chap Pethig - 26 - A nerdy green guy, a new friend of Scott's. He is also Violet's ex-boyfriend and Phil's estranged older brother. He knows nothing of Scott and Tony's previous lives.
    Lock Knight - 27 - A blue quadrupus that led the Filbertan rebellion against AntVark several years ago, and single-handedly ended the reign of terror with a thrown bottle to Tony's skull. Lock has finally tracked Tony and Scott down, but is slowly plotting revenge while blending in as a neighbor.

#64 mowub, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

:^: I like these ideas, especially Hub the Bear and Humanoid Life. I also like the idea of all these different types of creatures and beings living together in the ultimate universal melting pot. It reminds of Futurama, and I like Futurama. :)

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It sounds like The Odd Couple with canines, with a touch of Brandy & Mr. Whiskers.

7. All Star Blitz

That's kind of the idea I'm going for in my series; every creature is totally different in appearance and personality. Again, this is to make fun of the fact that I can't stick with just one idea, and basically just play "Will It Blend?" with various ideas in my head.

For the record, I've never seen Futurama and never plan to. It just doesn't grab me. But that's another post.

8. Mini Garbonzo

Yeah, I was thinking it sounded a bit too much like Brandy & Mr. Whiskers, of course, alot (and by alot, I mean all) of my ideas are slightly based off other TV shows. Well I guess that's the only thing you can do once everything has already been done in television, perhaps someone should make a totaly whacky, "out of this world", ludicrous idea for a TV show that would be so crazy that no one could have possibly thought of the same concept before. I'm not saying something like an absurd crossover that can't happen due to copyright laws, but an insane concept for a show and the insane characters can be added in later. Someone should do it, and maybe I'm just the exact person to! :D Or not, but hey, a man can dream...

9. All Star Blitz

Wasn't that pretty much what (gag, choke) Invader Zim was?

10. chdr

chdr Active Member

Invader Zim wasn't that bad :shrug:

11. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Obviously you haven't seen All Star Blitz's other posts. He watched thirty seconds of the show and hated it...

12. mowub

mowub Active Member

I admit that I am partly inspired by Zim, but I don't think I'd write anything as "crazy" as that.

13. Mini Garbonzo

Invader Zim is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about, it was a concept that was strange, but they still managed to make it work. I am talking something along the lines of Invader Zim, not in the terms of an "alien invaders" show, but a show with insane ideas and plotlines but manages to make those ideas work.

14. All Star Blitz

Yes, and I'm clearly in the minority on this forum for disliking it. Heck, we even have Zim and Gir smilies. Even my Internet friends think I'm weird for disliking Zim. I doubt you'll ever get me to watch it, but you can try to convince me it's not as creepy as I made it out to be.

Getting back on topic, I'm getting the feeling that some of the lines I'm coming up with are a bit TTA-ish. Strange, considering a.) I haven't seen even a clip of TTA in 16 years, and b.) I don't remember a single gag from it. (Yeah, yeah, I'm honestly going to make an effort to catch up. No idea why I ever shunned TTA.) It just seems TTA-ish to me when I compare it to the writeups I've seen on this board, somehow.

15. chdr

chdr Active Member

No need to artificially bump a thread.

16. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

My idea is the most original idea in the history of forever. I think there should be a cartoon---are you ready for this---that's animated! Huh? Huh? I told you it'd be awesome. :D

17. All Star Blitz

Hey, now you're copying me!

18. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

St@rt

It's the year 2112, and a project in mind control is under way, to make soldiers feel no guilt in killing and to see what the commander wants them to see. However, a vice president named James Calvertey has other ideas. With the project (titled St@rt), with overthrew the current democratic government and took over the nation and, later, the world. Flash forward to the year 2215. The world is under command of the original dictator's great-grandson. The series follows two soldiers (named Leon and Mars) who are slowly overcoming the brainwashing they've gone under, and are starting to realize the truth, and put it into their own hands to stop the rule of Calvertey IV.

I'll post about the characters later.

#78 Racattack!Force, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  19. Mini Garbonzo

The show sounds...awesome! Blows my idea way out of the water.

20. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

St@rt Characters

Leon - 23 years-old, he was drafted into the army at the young age of 6 and brainwashed shortly after, leaving him with few (if any) memories of his family. This leaves him wondering about his parents and other family at countless times. As he learns the truth about what's going on behind the seemingly "holy" government that controls the world, he's eager to put a stop to it...or use it for his own purposes.

Ty-Lee Mars - Though only 22 years-old, she's the strongest and toughest soldier in the Alchemy Distirct (what was once Bronx and Manhattan). She was trained in army practices since she was a child and never spares a second thought to the people she kills. When she starts realizing what's really going on, she and Leon work together to uncover the whole truth. She wants to take down the dictatorship (ruled by her own father) and stop his reign of terror, once and for all...if only to put herself in charge?

James Calverty IV - 39 years-old, he's been in control of the world since he was 18. His rule has lead the entire planet into a terrible Dark Age and depression. And it will only get worse, due to what he's planning behind closed doors.

While a lot of the story arcs in the series will take Leon and Mars around the world, a good amount of action would occur in the Alchemy District and Ruling (Washington D.C. and surrounding area) Districts. The project I talked about in the summary would be briefly talked about in the pilot, and more would be revealed about throughout the series, all the way up to the finale.