1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Make your own new cartoon idea!

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by All Star Blitz, Nov 16, 2008.

1. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

If I have reached any new heights, it is simply because I have stood on the shoulders of giants. :D

Really, I find it better to stay humble than believe your own hype. Also, I like giving props to my influences. The idea is conceived as a sort of Ben 10 or Secret Saturdays sort of thing. Action-Adventure with enough comedy to keep things from getting too heavy.

Oh, and Maxy, Harvey and Zook sounds like a really solid concept for a comedy show.

2. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Sorry to ask you this but haven't animated series with main characters using the powers of the elements been overused?

The show idea is a good one, but there has to be a new way to get a new generation loving the elemets again without saying "It's another Xiaolin Showdown!" or "Haven't we seen this person use water to attack her enemies in Avatar?"

3. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

No more than all the superhero cartoons that keep being made :sweat: I came up with the idea back when I was 12 which preceded those shows, and I won't let that sway me. But it also helps that I'm using seven elements, where those two shows only use four. W.I.T.C.H. TAS used five and is more true to what I was aiming for.

4. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

I've heard about fire, water, thunder, earth, and air to name a few. Are TV shows missing any other elements that have never been shown before?

5. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Well...there's fire, water, earth, air, thunder, lightening...that's all I can think of.

6. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

Your mssing wood, I think.

Heres my idea:

There's a female bully at a school that, due to her strength, has been chosen to receive a responsibility from the (unknown, of course) society of Wizards. However the gift is accidentally given to the girl-who-is-picked-on-by-female-bully (I'm bad with names).

The girl-who-is-picked is charged with making a prophecy happen. She herself is not a part of the prophecy; It's just her job to make sure that the right people are in the right place at the right time. Oh, and she is given magical powers of some kind. I'm still ironing out details here...

7. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Mine are Fire, Earth, Lightning, Nature (plant-life and animals/people), Water, Wind, and Aether. I also associate them with one of the seven colors in the visible light spectrum (Red = Fire, Orange = Earth, Yellow = Lightning, Green = Nature, Blue = Water, Indigo = Wind, Violet = Aether) to reinforce the recurring theme that everything in the universe is made up of one or more of those seven elements (laser weaponry the futuristic Terrans use count as aether, for example). The seven elements basically come from the original seven beings (Gods or whatever you want to call them) that created the universe and left their Legacies to watch over the universe and protect it)

8. cyde

cyde Active Member

My Bridal Commandos, there's five of them, each a different rank, just like in the army. There's a General, a Major, a Sergent a lieutenat and a corperal. Hope I got that part right. And they use ordinary weapons, not magical weapons, and not sci fi, just good old tradition guns and such. Gotto work on their names and characteristics later

9. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

I can't seem to get away from the whole X-Men/Heroes set up of "everybody has superpowers", but it goes somethin' like this...

The Unwanteds
    Set on a version of Earth with considerably less dry land than our own, one village sees one in every 100 kids born with powers. Considered a threat (and hey, with next to no technology they would be) they get sent away to fend for themselves on an island a good distance away. When our villain (Maze, pretty much the classic "Great White Hunter" character as seen from another perspective) pretty much wipes out all the major game on the mainland, he decides that huntin' these Newton-defying kids would be a nice challenge.

And...characters! With fish names.
    [​IMG]Koi - The protagonist. There's really only one "power" which covers all powers, but what an individual can actually do is usually limited to one part of the "spectrum". In her case, she's super-strong and written as if she were a guy.
    [​IMG]Pike - A cowardly, self-doubting wuss. He can convert matter into energy (mostly making things explode) and eventually learns to do the reverse. He consciously tries to fit the role of comic relief to a degree that annoys most other characters (and he loves awful puns).
    [​IMG]Riddle - A bespectacled fellow who actually doesn't have powers but is rather a complex living puppet who wasn't wanted either. Very cold and reserved in terms of personality. Actually built by Maze, and has some daddy issues as a result (also why he breaks the theme naming pattern).
    Tetra & Morey - A little mute girl and the giant mutant bat monster that follows her around. Tetra communicates with Morey with a musical intrument, and our villain manages to convince them to help him out.
    Marlin - Koi's best friend, who is blind but can access other people's senses. He gets captured by Maze early on and his rescue pretty much drives the story.

The whole plot mirrors WWII, with Maze as the Axis powers, Marlin as the victims of the Nazis, Riddle as the Japanese-Americans, Koi as white Americans, and Pike as the scientists who developed the bomb.

I'm also working on an animatic.

#49 R-Taco, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  10. All Star Blitz

All Star Blitz What the heck am I doing?

Well, I've thought some more about my idea. The lead cartoon character is a humanoid jackareindeer (jackrabbit/reindeer, looks mostly like a jackalope except... yeah). I would play the live action part of the animator.

I've made a *very* rough sketch of Jillian. Basically, she's sort of a Sally Acorn like body only with more Tiny Toons-ish coloration. I might tweak the coloration later but this is what came out after I attacked it with pencils:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I fail miserably at inking and coloring, but like I said, this is a rough sketch.

Anyway, the first ep will focus on the animator drawing out a family and the first part of the character's world. Not quite sure of the details yet, but the main cartoon characters will all be humanoid animals of various species. Maybe I could make them all hybrids like this.

11. cyde

cyde Active Member

Looks like an adult Babs Bunny.

12. All Star Blitz

I thought it kind of look liked someone merged Babs Bunny with Sally Acorn. And then threw up my colored pencils on it.

13. mowub

mowub Active Member

I have several ideas for cartoons, but they all involve aliens, animals and other weird creatures. They can be seen in full on my site's journal:

http://gsrobotcan.deviantart.com/

14. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

I have an idea, but it's based on a drawing I first made, 17 years ago:

The Felders: A thirty-something african-american couple, living in a house and working. They live in a nice, urban integrated neighborhood. BTW, they don't have children holding them down(at least not right now), so they have all the time to do whatever they please in addition to working and having time for each other. This would primarily be a cartoon adult comedy for prime time. Now the characters:

Delmore Felder A 30-year old full-time delivery driver who's sensitive, easy going and straight-edged. He tends to wait and see how things play out before he does anything. He stands at 5 ft. 11 in. tall.

Marie Felder Delmore's wife, whom by the way is 31, stands at 6 ft. 3 in. tall, has long curly reddish brown hair, very attractive but only devotes herself to her straight-edged husband and is very exciting. She works as a clinical nurse. She brings out the best in him, whether or not he expects it.

Joe & Rita Halloway The Felders' british-american neighbors, known for their exhuberance and their flamboyance, although it sometimes goes over the line.

Ofc. Quinchetta Felder Delmore's sister, a police officer who occasionally drops by to see her brother whenever she's off duty.

Chauncey Jameson Marie's nephew, a high school junior, by way of her older sister, Renata Walsh-Jameson and her husband, Geno Jameson. He also drops by to visit his aunt on an occasion.

Stella Darwin Chauncey's girlfriend, also in high school.

I would come up with more characters, but I can't think of additional characters at this time. Again, this idea is based on a drawing I made, 17 years ago. It would primarily be an animated adult comedy for prime time, because when I first made that drawing, that's what I intended for it to be.

15. Old School Toon

I've been browsing these forums for about 4 months but I finally decided to join today. Anyways I have a couple of ideas for shows but I'll introduce this idea 1st.

Paralell Universe

The overall idea for this show is that during WW II an American Sgt. named Sgt. Bakers and his recon unit are seperated from the rest of their squad and during an epic battle he ends up falling down into what appears to be a bottemless pit. He wakes up about 4 hours later to what appears to be the exact same battlefiled except instead of seeing Americans and Nazis fighting he sees men in robotic suits firing at what look like little elves and other men. He's soon taken by the elves and men and he's in a complete shock at what he's seeing. During the battle he sees what appears to be a calender but it's on a touch screen and when he picks it up in complete awe he sees the date says March 11,2307.

The pit Sgt. Bakers fell down was a portal to a parallel universe that is also over 200 years into the future. In this universe Earth has been ruled by The Dark Alliance for over 1,000 years and the Dark Alliance consist of Goblins, Dark Elves, Humans and other creatures such as Werewolves, Vampires, Zombies etc.. Over the course of the 1st season Sgt.Bakers has to cope with being in this strange place and trying to get back to his universe as well as becoming a hero in the war between the Dark Alliance and the Ressistance of Ordered Peoples which consist of basicly the same groups the Dark Alliance consist of but as good guys instead with exceptions of Vampires, Werewolves and other creatures as there are none that are good.

This show is somewhat of a mixture action and comedy and has elements of fantasy properties like LoTR sci fi like Star Wars and action like Ghost in The Shell. Also the animation style is similar to The Justice League: Unlimited. The show would be TV-14 and contain violence and some language. Also a tie in video game would be released before the show and act as a prequal called WAR 2307 where you would have controlled Leanas. Also since the show is a mixture in terms of being similar to other properties and is set in the future the world is a mixture of areas you would find in the LoTR movies and the futuristic mega cities you would find in the Star Wars prequels and weapons are a mixture of futuristic and mid evil fantasy types.

Characters: Here's some examples of the characters
    Resisstance of Ordered Peoples

Sgt. Bakers: A outspoken 35 year old sargant in Big Bear Batillion during WW II. Known for his unparalelled bravery. In the paralell universe he comands and fights with the ROP.

Leanas: A 723 year old Elve leader from the Elven Provinence of Quisha. His older borther is one of the generals of the Dark Alliance. He was the man who commanded the ROP before Sgt. Bakers came. He has a very strong hate for Bakers. Because his brother was his former mentor he shows ways that are similar to Vasqurade such as his brutalness and no mercy with enimies.

Kabla: A Goblin Knight who is Sgt. Bakers main sidekick throughout the majority of season 1.

Dark Alliance:

Lord Vasqurade: A 849 year old Dark Elve who is a general in the Dark Alliance and is the brother to Leanas. Very brutal and evil. Shows no mercy. He was also the former mentor of his younger brother Leanas before he started practicing thar Dark Arts of Elves.

Count Ventras: A Vampire overlord who over sees the Dark Meadows which is the area where the vampires and werewolves share turf. A Brutal war between werewolves and vampires had been going on for over 800 years until Count Ventras became leader of The Vampire Alliance and made peace and merged with the new leader of the werewolves, Maskar, and the United Werewolves Army to form The Dark Meadows Alliance.

Maskar: The overlord of the United Werewolves Army and the co chairman of The Dark Meadows Alliance as well as a general in the Dark Alliance. During their long standing war with the vampires the werewolve race faced extinction. They went from nearly 300 million to a mere 7 million. Because of their near extinction experiences to werewolves had to go thorugh genetic experiments and many fused themselves with robotics to keep their race going. Because of this Maskar is the chief scientist of building the battle suits known as "Battle Armor" for the Dark Alliance.

I'll add more later but I'd like to know what people think of my idea 1st.

16. All Star Blitz

I've been doing some more tweaking of my idea, which I still can't believe I just thought up on the fly. I'm trying to design the character to be a little less Babs-ish, and I'm thinking of totally going psycho with the colors, not just on her but on everything. I've also decided on a gender-ambiguous love interest with two heads, one named Bon and the other named Ton. Basically, everyone will be some sort of weird mixture to poke fun at the fact that I think I might be indecisive. Or maybe I'm not. Am I?

Also, Bon and Ton will be gender ambiguous on purpose, so that viewers can decide for themselves what Jillian's orientation is. Yes, that's pushing the envelope a great deal, but pushing the envelope in certain ways is exactly what I'm going for. In that regard it'd be a little Rocko's Modern Life-ish, but minus the grossness of that series (not that grossness was bad on Rocko. Not by a long shot). I'd throw in a bunch of obscure references to game shows, older cartoons, and country music as well, just because I can. ("I'm a perfect little angel." "More like an angel with no halo and one wing in the fire, if you ask me.")

Jillian seems to be the kind that's of normal intelligence; maybe a little loopy and, well, cartoonish at times but far from ditzy. I have the hardest time with character developments, but I do know that I want Bon and Ton to be as loopy as I can get. Getting there might require me hitting the sauce.

I've also decided that I will play the animator and do most of the voices. There will also be a TON of fourth wall-ish gags ("No, I'm going to do this myself. If I always let the animator decide for me, how will I ever develop as a character?") because I love those and this concept seems ripe for them. And yes, I'll carry on the tradition of gag credits ("Guy whose idea it was to run the credits backwards / Yep, that would be me").

Basically, I want to keep it fast paced and light (usually), to balance out the fact that I, as the animator, would tend to be my normal snarky, deadpan self. I'd basically be the straight man.

17. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Man, the ideas I see in this topic are way more imaginative than anything I've come up with. It kind of makes my stuff seem bland by comparison.

I do have some idea for series I'd like to produce. All of them would take place in the same universe in case they needed proper closure or an expanded shelf life.

My main story would focus on a female detective, around her mid-20's, who works in a small city taking down criminals and networked gangs. She has some training in defensive fighting styles, but she would mostly rely on her smarts, somewhat like Batman. During her cases, she would slowly uncover larger conspiracies or entities, many of which would be behind some of her own personal mysteries. I had the first season set up for her to find her missing friend, but I think I may change her motive to something else. This is basically an animated version of other detective shows, without treading into CSI territory.

Another one I had thought of before that idea was a show based around a young wrestler, which chronicled his life from his days as a high school varsity wrestler who eventually reaches the top promotion and ends with him finally winning the big gold belt. However, The Wrestler came along and used that idea, with the same amount of grimdark that I had planned to use. Oh well.

My last idea would be a self-parody of teenage hero shows. It would star another girl, who prior to receiving her powers, would use empty threats and troll tactics to mess with people who she felt posed a threat to her. Upon receiving her powers however, she feels obligated to defend her city, but she's very selective about who or what may be saved. Sometimes, she would deliberately wait out an emergency because she doesn't like the victims in the crossfire. Although she grows to take on more responsibility in her fight against crime, she continues to treat enemies like complete jokes, leading even more people to form grudges against her. she's also not above using her powers in her civilian life to get what she wants.

I've got designs ready for the two female leads, but one of them is being redesigned because she doesn't stand out enough for me.

18. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

If this idea is from 17 years ago, I wonder how come this show didn't get sent through the bigwigs at the networks? Your show could be what I would look for when it comes to good entertainment.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

This idea reminds me of King of the Hill-more or less a straight sitcom that happens to be animated. A show like this wouldn't really be my cup of tea, personally, as I prefer cartoon shows that take advantage of their 'cartoonishess' (BTW, that's not meant to be a diss, just my personal tastes; 'animated live-action' just isn't my thing, as is evident by my own submissions in this thread) but I could definitely see this working on a broadcast network, or possibly on TV One.

#59 Silverstar, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  20. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

See guys? Isn't it a lot more fun when people share their ideas and give each other feedback?