Make your own new cartoon idea!

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by All Star Blitz, Nov 16, 2008.

1. All Star Blitz

All Star Blitz What the heck am I doing?

Okay, here's one for you. Come up with a new cartoon idea that you think would be watchable.

Here's one I just thought of:

Drawn In: A mix of live-action and animation. The lead character is a real-life animator or cartoonist who is creating an animated series. Throughout the series, the character he's created interacts with him, suggesting that he add various things to the cartoon,and the animator decides whether or not to do it. This could work on several levels. For instance, the animator can introduce new characters over time, and if he doesn't like them, can erase them from existence. Also, there could be gags regarding the animated character coming out into the "real" world or the animator getting into the cartoon world. Chowder has done meta-gags that are kind of like this (such as Greenblatt suddenly pulling Shnitzel aside and talking to him), so why not take it all the way?

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I have plenty of ideas for shows, but I don't post them on public message boards; too easy for them to get stolen.

Anyway, one's original ideas might be better suited for The Drawing Board forum.

#2 Silverstar, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  3. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Ditto. :sweat: I have a bunch of ideas, but they could get easily stolen.

4. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

I have an idea for a show (which could also double as a theatrical short series!), but I won't go into detail---as mentioned earlier, one's ideas can get stolen easily.

But, with aspirations to break into the animation industry myself, I will tell you something about this idea that troubles me---it is an homage to the old 30's 40's and 50's cartoons, which use full animation, with tons of squash and stretch and exaggerated action, full body acting, and a wide range of emotions from the characters. This is unlike most animated series, which use limited animation (in which only part of the character's body---such as the mouth or eyes---moves while the rest of the body for the most part remains static).

The recent trend in the industry of writing a scrpit, recording dialogue, drawing a storyboard and flying everything off to Korea, however, is not compatible with this style. I have concluded that most of those studios in Korea don't know what full animation is. All the Koreans do is take the storyboard poses and keep the body static in that pose for the necessary number of frames before shifting to the next pose (exception: mouths and dialogue).

There are two ways of overcoming this IMO:

1) Use a combination of domestic and overseas labour, with the domestic team handling layouts (basic detailed renderings of the background and animation poses, separated from eachother, blown up to the size at which they will eventually be animated) and extreme animation drawings (drawings placed in-between the key drawings dictated by the storyboard and layout artists, drawn by the animator, to show subtle shifts in the action, for in-betweeners to follow). Then, and only then, from in-betweening onward, the work is outsourced to Korea (or wherever).

2) Try to find a service company with an established reputation for full animation (there are not very many of them, Toon City is the only one I can think of off the top of my mind).

5. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

My thought too. I do have one idea that has really got me excited.

6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I several ideas including
    1. One that's like Ren & Stimpy only less disturbing
    2. One that's like Invader Zim only not as dark
    3. One that's a "kids being kids" kind of a show
    4. And one that is so unique I am not sharing it here

7. chdr

chdr Active Member

"Somebody on the internet will steal it" is a lame response. What's the point of having ideas or breaking into the business is you're too paranoid to share it with anyone?

I have a few designs and ideas at the moment (I have a South Park premise-meets-Flapjack weirdness-type idea) but my scanner's on the fritz.

8. R. Escobar

R. Escobar He Ain't Dead Yet

I agree, why even come into the thread if that's your attitude?

I have a few ideas as well, but they're far to abstract for me to put here right now.

9. Silverstar

I'm not paranoid to share my ideas with people at all, but I'm not doing so without a lawyer and a copyright. Presenting your ideas to the general public without any legal or documented claim to them just isn't smart; it's got nothing to do with paranoia or "attitude". I want to keep my ideas mine.

Get one of your brainstorms pinched and then watch some other shmoe get rich off of it and you'll change your tune about that in a hurry.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Teachers at college say that you shouldn't worry that people stealing ideas aren't as common as one would think.
    Especially since companies would rather buy the idea than steal it from you.

But if you don't wanna share it that's fine.

I have several ideas but since mine are for comics it's technically not meant for this thread.

11. cyde

cyde Active Member

A high school set in the days of the wild west. Call it Sagebrush high.

12. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Copyright Law protects you the instant you put your creations on paper. It's not something you have to go to an office and pay for. What you're thinking of is a trademark. Big difference.

This is very true. In fact, the reverse is a lot more common, as I see people trying to cash in on other people's ideas all the time, yet I have still to run into someone who steals something and doesn't get caught. This is the era of the Internet where everything is archived, and if you're smart enough you shouldn't worry about people stealing your stuff.

One last thing: "Keeping your ideas to yourself", while your own call, is not really a good idea, at least not anymore. Companies are very strict on who they hire nowadays and you simply can't get into the industry without a good-reviewed portfolio. You NEED feedback for your work, you NEED to know if you're doing things right, you NEED to know if people like your ideas. The Internet now has tons of sites that make this a lot easier (like DeviantArt) and allow people to display their work while ensuring protection of copyright.

So yeah, if you want to simply put your drawings in the fridge, that's your own call, but don't expect getting anywhere in the industry.

13. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Well, I have tons of ideas, but the one I probably have the best chance of actually pitching to a network is this one: http://jbwarner86.deviantart.com/art/Bornona-Bayou-100034828

"Bornona Bayou": The meandering misadventures of a group of anthropomorphic animal critters in the backwoods swamps of Alabama (or Louisiana, or Georgia, or some southern state like that - I haven't decided yet). I tried to make the characters' personalities complement each other well, as I wanted each one to be able to interact with one or more of their costars on a regular basis. I like character-driven shows, what can I say.

14. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool action-comedy.

15. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

The trouble with full animation is that you'd have to either skyrocket the budget or the episodes would have to be less than 5 minutes long.

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

OK, then....

Silverstar and myself are working on an animated series that we're tentatively calling Super Twins! (not to be confused with the children's books by Brian James). It's about the random adventures of a pair of brother and sister superhero celebrities. Think Powerpuff Girls, only weirder.

17. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

How far are you guys in developing the idea?

18. Silverstar

Well, since you put it that way, I'll share 1 idea that Blackstar and I have in the works:

Meet the Muckels: a quasi-sitcom/reality show in the mold of MTV's The Osbournes and Run's House, centering on a maverick billionaire CEO and his family: his New Age/hippie wife, a former supermodel turned artist and spiritualist; their 3 children, a super-vain, shallow, spoiled, ditzy and materialistic teenage daughter (think Paris Hilton minus the sex) who changes her hairstyle and clothes in every episode, and their chubby, rambunctious prepubescent twin sons (think a fat 2-man version of Huey, Dewey and Louie), as well their intelligent talking pet chameleon, who keeps everything running smoothly.

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

We're putting together character profiles as well as a story bible.

20. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

PITCH IT! PITCH IT! :D Meet the Muckels sounds very interesting too. If I could suggest an idea, why not combine the two so the "Super twins" are the fat twin brothers in the Muckels family??

I've got an idea in the very early stages. I've done a billion gabazillion doodles on my school notebooks of these characters, and they're really starting to mold. You can see two of my sketches on these characters on my DeviantArt page, linked below, but the ideas and designs in those sketches are a bit dated and I have changed them a bit. So it's best for you to look at the paragraph beneath; though you can still use the two pics (there should be more up when I get the chance) as a basis for imagery.

My cartoon idea is Harvey, Maxy and Zook (working title)

The premise of the show is about a clever and mature boy named Maximillian (Maxy) (on my DA sketches I had called him Harvey, but I changed it). He's called Maxy for short. Maxy's parents (yet to be worked on) are rich (I don't know how yet). Maxy though naive sometimes, is very mature and adult-y in his manners because he has few friends his own age. Maxy's two best friends, Harvey and Zook, are both adults..

Harvey (in my DA sketches, Maxy's name was Harvey and this character was unnamed) is a polar bear who is Maxy's #1 best friend and has known Maxy since as long as Maxy can remember. Harvey is big and lovable, but often very lazy, careless, and well, stupid. Maxy looks up to him as a big brother, but many times has to correct his stupidity. Harvey is the one factor in Maxy's life that explains to Maxy the true meaning of being a kid and having adventures (I didn't copy Flapjack!), since Maxy has few friends his age. Harvey's a grown up, but is still pretty much a lazy good-for-nothing kid on the inside. Harvey lives in an igloo next door to Maxy. He's a bachelor polar bear that left his home in the arctic because of global warming. He wears an XL pair of cheetah print swim trunks.

Zookulus Knod, or Zook (not in my DA sketches YET)is a cynical yet highly intelligent fully grown alien who is Harvey and Maxy's best friend and also their neighbor. In the pilot I came up with in my head (the pilot is a movie), Harvey and Maxy meet Zook when he crash lands on Earth. Being taken into custody at Area 3.14 (play on Area 51), Zook becomes part of a test program to see how he can interact with human beings, and so is disguised as a human being and goes to work in a cubical like average humans. Having seen him crash land onto Earth, Harvey and Maxy already know he's an alien and the Men in Black at Area 3.14 let them keep their memory as long as they don't tell anyone. SOOO now Harvey and Maxy are the only ones who know Zook's true identity, and being a stranger to human society, Zook is forced to become Harvey and Maxy's friend because they're the only one he can talk too, since the MIB agents won't let him spill the beans to anyone else. Though new to Earth, Zook is an expert on many forms of human study in science, literature, art, etc. But he's forced to keep his cubical job because the MIB fear his identity could be revealed if he becomes famous. Obviously, Zook is often cynical and grumpy (imagine a Squidward-ish attitude) because his potential is being wasted. Zook is often the factor that begins the trio (Harvey, Maxy, and Zook's) adventures, since he's annoyed by the other two to invent something for the three to have fun with or something along the lines. At the end of the day though, Zook has formed a nice bond with Harvey and Maxy, though they are dimwitted morons to him. Zook wears a sleek black jumpsuit.

I'm not really sure if I even want to make a cartoon show, or be a cartoonist (I'm currently aiming at Columbia University for medicine or law), but having this idea to work on is a good hobby. I do have some minor characters (like Maxy's dementedly mean little sister Maggie and an outlaw villain named Bucktooth Stan, as well as Maxy's parents), but these are the three main characters.

Oh, and just in case, COPYRIGHT MICKIALLA. I don't know if that makes it official or not. Maybe saying it twice will make it offcial. COPYRIGHT MICKIALLA. :D

Any comments or suggestions on how I can improve??