1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Major League Baseball "2007 Season" Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Duke, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Post-season predictions

National League
    AZ - 3
    CHC - 1

COL - 0
    PHI - 3

American League

BOS - 3
    LAA - 0

NYY - 3
    CLE - 2

NLCS

AZ - 4
    PHI - 2

ALCS

BOS - 4
    NYY - 3

World Series

AZ - 4
    BOS - 3

2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I have no clue about the National League, I don't follow NL baseball, so I am just guessing here when it comes o tne NL, the JV of baseball. The American League is going to win it all, and very easily I might add.

American League

Yankees over Indians in 4 games

Red Sox over Angels in 4 games

Yankees over Red Sox in 5 games

National League

Phillies over Rockies in 5 games

Cubs over Dimandbacks in 5 games

Philles over Cubs in 6 games

Yankees over Phillies in 5 games

Yankees, World Champions.

The only team that stop the Yankees from winning it all, are the Angels. The Red Sox have no chance, the Yankees are in their heads, winning 5 of otheir last 6, and probably would have won the division, if the season was a week longer.

3. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

And yet one of the closers you just mentioned is the all-time leader in saves - no other pitcher in history has more - and one isn't. As to whom it is, I'll give you a hint: it's not the American League pitcher.

Everyone else in this thread can put aside their biases long enough to maintain some semblance of intelligent baseball conversation. If you wish to be taken seriously beyond the stereotypical Yankee fan to any extent I recommend you do the same.

4. zoombie

Bias is saying Derek Jeter is the greatest shortstop of all time, bias is saying Joe Torre is the greatest manager of time. That is bias.

I was referring to Mariano Rivera as a great closer, can anyone honestly tell me there is a better closer in baseball since 1997.

I am not going to lie to you, it tweeks me, it gets on my nerves, that Trevor Hoffman has more saves than Mariano Rivera, it tweeks me that people think Hoffman is as good as Mo, so when he failed again, I was going to whale on him.

And to show you how un bias I am, if the Yankees play the Angels in the ALCS, they going to lose. I am being realistic, they can't beat that dam team. But fortuntely the same can be said about the Angels and the Red Sox, the Angels can't beat them.

5. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

And Mariano hasn't had collapses like that, or even greater? And in some big games, too.

Does the 2001 World Series ring any bells? Or what about the 2004 ALCS, when he gave up leads in back to back games, allowing the Red Sox to take over the series.

He's had some fairly notable collapses in the regular season as well, sometimes in what could be considered 'big games'.

No closer is perfect, and Rivera is certainly no exception to that.

6. zoombie

I never said he was perfect. He is just better than everybody else in the 1 inning closer era in my opinion, especially someone like Trevor Hoffman. He is human, he fails, but suceeds more often than not, the same can not be said about Trevor Hoffman in a big game. I think Maraino Rivera is better than Trevor Hoffman, is that so far fetched?

It is not just Yankee fans, I know people that hate the Yankees, and agree Rivera is the best closer. A sports talk jockey Chris Russo hates the Yankees, and thinks Hoffman is overrated, and Rivera is the greatest closer of all time. Today on ESPN 2's First Take, Skip Balis (however you spell his name) another Yankee hater, said the same thing.

And I admit, there is an arogance among American League fans towards the National League, but that is all AL fans. Fans in Boston, in Anaham, and in Cleveland feel the same way, if their team makes to the World Series, they expect to win, they think the toughest part towards winning a championship, is the AL playoffs. Don't say Yankee fans are arrogant about their League, that is everybody. The AL is just better right now, just like the AFC is better than the NFC, and in the NBA, the Western Conference is better than the Eastern Conference, these things go in circles.

In baseball, the better team doesn't always win like last year. In basketball and football, there are fewer upsets. I admit, the AL doesn't have the same adavantage as the superior leagues or conferences in the other sports.

Here in New York, the Yankees are all we got. Look at other sports teams, (no I am not buying into the Giants) it is embarassing.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

Well, Hoffman has more career saves, so, yes, it is kinda farfetched. Even if you wanted to look at just this season, Hoffman had 12 more saves, a lower batting average against and a lower ERA. Mariano's younger by about two years and can still run the cut fastball in there in the low- to mid-90's. That's about it, really. Hoffman has better numbers for his career, although to be fair he has been a full-time closer for nearly his entire career, while Mariano hasn't been around and closing full-time quite as long (it's still pretty close, though). By what other criteria would you like to compare the two?

Also, if you take what some two-bit radio host in New York and Skip Bayless think about any subject and add about $1.50, you might have enough for a cup of coffee. Might.

8. zoombie

I tell you this, Met fans would do anything to get Mariano Rivera on their team. The team we are playing, the Indians, would throw their closer in a river, to get Mariano Rivera to be their closer. Most baseball fans, given the choice of Trevor Hoffman or Mariano Rivera, would pick Rivera over Hoffman. Most GMs would rather have Rivera than Hoffman.

Most Red Sox fans, would even admit that Rivera is a great closer, first ballot Hall Of Famer, and better than his pears. I admit Michael Jordon is better than Walt "Clyde" Frazer, so I would appreciate Rivera that same respect Michael Jordon and Tiger Woods would get.

9. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Totally agree. Skip Bayless is about as stupid as they come. Srsly.

As far as post-season predictions.. I'll give it a go.

Diamondbacks over the Cubs in 5.
    Phillies over the Rockies in 4.
    Red Sox over the Angels in 4.
    Indians over the Yankees in 5.

NLCS:
    Phillies over the Diamondbacks in 7.

ALCS:
    Indians over the Red Sox in 6.

World Series:
    Indians over the Phillies in 6.

If/when my picks go bad in the first round, I'll repick.

The basis behind my picks though comes down to this. The Diamondbacks/Cubs series can really go both ways. It all depends on which Zambrano comes to pitch, and if Hill/Marquis can do anything to help. Also depends on if the Diamondbacks decide to play offense.

The Phillies/Rockies game is really dicey. If the Rockies can get a good 7+ innings from their starter and beat the Phillies in Game 1, they'll have a much better chance. If the Phillies can get through to their bullpen, it's really all but over. They used so many pitchers last night, it's real dangerous for them, especially with the Phillies' potent offense.

Red Sox and Angels is a really interesting series. Both teams have a great 1-2 punch in their rotation. Lackey and Escobar for the Angels, Beckett and Daisuke for the Red Sox. I just think the Red Sox play the Angels real well and that's why I have em coming on top. Also, if I remember correctly.. isn't Wakefield benched or something? I'm not sure.

Going Indians here against the Yankees. Pitching for them with Fausto Carmona and C.C. Sabathia is just crazy. That and considering the only consistant starter the Yankees have is Wang, I think if they can get into the bullpen in the first couple games it'll be over. The Yankees have surprised me, but I can't look past their 1st round floudering in the last few years.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to discuss. No sense going further, especially if I'm dead wrong on some/if not all of them.

10. zoombie

To beat the Yankees, either their starting pitching has to completely implood, which could happen, but I don't think the Indians have the lineup to do that though. The Red Sox could do that, and so can the Angels.

Or you have to a complete dominent pitching staff, and the Indians don't. What I mean their bullpen has to dominent as their two starters are. If their two studs, can pitch complete games, than they have a chance. But their closer with all due respect, is the weakest of all the closers in the playoffs. That Indian closer he is terrible. They have a great set up man, but their closer, does not scare me.

The Yankees will get into the Indians bullpen, and wear their aces out. Even if they are shut them down, they will be close to 100 pitches in the 5th inning. That is the Yankee and the Red Sox MO. The Yankees will destroy the Indians middle relief.

Back to my Rivera point, it is obviosly you guys are strictly going on stats. Than I guess Emmitt Smith is better than Jim Brown, Karl Malone is better than Michael Jordon.

11. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Don't sleep on Sebathia and Carmona, both 19-game winners.
    I'm a Yankee fan however I don't allow Pinstripe Pride to blind me from serious threats. Cleveland's one-two punch are absolutely capable of shutting down the Yankee line-up. There's a reason why they've not been back to the W.S. since '03.

12. zoombie

I am not blind either to pinstripe pride. I said the Angels have the Yankees number.

I am not sleeping on Sabathia and Carmona, it is the bullpen, that I don't fear, particular their closer. They are going to have to go to that bullpen eventully, and Borowski will have to get those 3 outs.

The two starters could shut down the Yankees, don't get me wrong, but most of the time, the Yankees are able to get the pitch count up even when they don't score. If they don't do that, than they will lose. And no one should sleep on Wang or Pettie, give those two some respect as well.

I respect the Indians, but I am not picking against my team. I am optismtic, and the way the Yankees have played down the streach, I have a right to be. What is wrong with having confidence in my team? It is not like I said the Yankees would go undefeated.

The reason the Yankees have struggled the last few years, it was an older team, the Yankees have youth this year. Don't sleep on Jaba either.

13. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

Especially since they're spelled Pettitte and Joba.

Yeah.

14. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Eh, I've seen Joba spelled over a dozen different ways, including Jaba and Java, even on the most respected news sites, so it's not hard to mis-spell it.

15. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

I've only ever seen his name spelled "Joba" on any respectable website, television broadcast or other media outlet.

16. Duke

I've seen it spelled "Jaba" twice on Yahoo! Sports (once when it was one of those featured editorial spotlight thingys), "Java" multiple times on ESPNEWS (including a couple nights ago), and even "Jova" on SportsNite about a week and a half ago.

17. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

We could always refer to him as "that relief guy" or "Chamberlain" .. >.> That is if spelling his first name is too hard.

18. Duke

It doesn't really help that everybody on TV pronounces it as "Jaba." At least it's not as bad as the whole "Daisuke" situation during Spring Training.

19. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Yeah, true. Well all I was trying to do was bring some common ground to the situation and possibly be semi-funny. D: