1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Major League Baseball "2007 Season" Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Duke, Apr 1, 2007.

1. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

When I said San Diego was second oldest in the majors behind the Yankees, I was referring to their pitching staff, which is one of the oldest pitching staffs in the majors.

Let's see what I said would happen this weekend.
    Colorado takes two of three from Arizona- Check
    Milwaukee takes two of three from San Diego- Check
    Cubs, Phillies, and D-backs gets into the playoffs- Check
    D-backs #1 seed- Check
    Rockies defeat Padres to win wild card- Still pending, but it will be difficult for the Rockies when they are going against Jake Peavy.

I may not be that accurate at the beginning of the year, but I did say 3 months ago the Mets wouldn't make the playoffs the way they were playing. I also said what gave them a chance was when the Phillies got all banged up, but the Phillies recovered and kicked the Mets out of the playoffs.

Final regular season standings:
    AL EAST:
    [​IMG]
    (96-66) Boston Red Sox - (Clinched division and #2 seed)
    [​IMG] (94-68) New York Yankees 2 (Clinched #4 seed)
    [​IMG] (83-79) Toronto Blue Jays 13
    [​IMG] (69-93) Baltimore Orioles 27
    [​IMG] (66-96) Tampa Bay Devil Rays 30

AL CENTRAL:
    [​IMG] (96-66) Cleveland Indians - (Clinched division and #1 seed)
    [​IMG] (87-72) Detroit Tigers 8 1/2
    [​IMG] (77-81) Minnesota Twins 18
    [​IMG] (69-89) Chicago White Sox 26
    [​IMG] (68-90) Kansas City Royals 27

AL WEST:
    [​IMG] (94-68) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - (Clinched division and #3 seed)
    [​IMG] (88-74) Seattle Mariners 6
    [​IMG] (76-86) Oakland Athletics 18
    [​IMG] (75-87) Texas Rangers 19

NL EAST:
    [​IMG] (89-73) Philadelphia Phillies - (Clinched division and #2 seed)
    [​IMG] (88-74) New York Mets 1
    [​IMG] (84-78) Atlanta Braves 5
    [​IMG] (73-89) Washington Nationals 16
    [​IMG] (71-91) Florida Marlins 18

NL CENTRAL:
    [​IMG] (85-77) Chicago Cubs - (Clinched division and #3 seed)
    [​IMG] (83-79) Milwaukee Brewers 2
    [​IMG] (78-84) St. Louis Cardinals 7
    [​IMG] (73-89) Houston Astros 12
    [​IMG] (72-90) Cincinnati Reds 13
    [​IMG] (68-94) Pittsburgh Pirates 17

NL WEST:
    [​IMG] (90-72) Arizona Diamondbacks - (Clinched division and #1 Seed in NL)
    [​IMG] (89-73) San Diego Padres 1
    [​IMG] (89-73) Colorado Rockies 1
    [​IMG] (82-80) Los Angeles Dodgers 8
    [​IMG] (71-91) San Francisco Giants 19

Wild Card-

National League
    [​IMG] (89-73) San Diego Padres -
    [​IMG] (89-73) Colorado Rockies -
    Tie-breaker Game tonight at 7:30 on TBS

All first round games will be on TBS

Times for the games will be announced later today, but Arizona/ Chicago Cubs will have the late game on Wednesday and Thursday since they're in Arizona (Mountain Time Zone with Pacific Time during Daylight Savings), and the winner of San Diego/ Colorado will have the late game on Saturday and Sunday since they're in the Mounatin and Pacific time zones. That could be changed though due to the LA Angels of Anaheim having a game on Sunday, which will move one of those series into an afternoon match-up on Sunday.

2. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

The winner of the World Series is indeterminate, but I choose Philly.

It's funny you bring this up biggdan11, but wayyyyy back in April, when the D-backs were getting fired up, I said, "Keep an eye out for those D-backs. They got potential." Yet everyone laughed at me, (Especially BCVM, who thought I was kidding..)

Well look who's laughing now..

Frankly seeing the D-backs as the NLCS #1 seed isn't surprising here, in fact sure a lot of folks say the D-backs won the NL West on a fluke..

Hardly a fluke I feel..More like what i said earlier in my last post: consistency, consistency, consistency.

Now that the D-backs are going up against the Cubs, this could be a real fight on their hands. After all the Cubs could upset Arizona and end their season in just 3 games.. or it could drag out to a 5 game marathon. It's really anyone's guess as to where they will end up after the next 3-5 games.

As for the Phillies and the Rockies/Padres? Well today determines who the Phillies go up against and I'm putting my money on the Padres. (Why?) Because the Padres have the potential here.. They've been known to come from behind sometimes to win (Case in Point, the first game of the MIllwaukee/Padres game at the end of the season.

But then the D-backs tend to do the same thing. Sometimes they get their gameface on and get the ball rolling as early as the 3rd Innning..usually when that happens, by the time the 6th or 7th inning comes around, Arizona does have a comfortable lead..

So here's how I see it in the NL Divison.. The Padres will win tonight, and will go up against the Phillies, The Phillies will take it in 4.. The D-backs and Cubs however will go the full 5 and it will be the final game that determines the win (I'm still rooting for the D-backs, though Chicago might have the better team.

In the final NLCS Faceoff, we'll be looking at Philly vs Chicago and it will be Philly in 4...of course I'm thinking that when you look at the ALCS you got the Bo-sox, you got the Indians and you got the Angels and of the 3 the Angels might just get into the playoffs this year.

So then it comes down to a 7 game fight between the Phillies and the Angels and I'm guessing this year the Phillies will take the Angels in 6..

but that's just my guesses.. Now then let's get that Rockies/Padres game out of the way tonight and let's set up the 8 finalists for this Playoff round..

:coyote:

3. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

Which is still inaccurate. Jake Peavy is 26, Chris Young is 28, Justin Germano is 25, Jack Cassel is 27 and that's not counting the myriad of young pitchers they have on the shuttle between Portland and San Diego who could be fighting for spots in the rotation next spring. Maddux and Tomko are older, yeah, but Maddux may or may not play another season and even if he does, no guarantee it'll be in a Padres uniform, and Tomko (who's only 34, actually) definitely won't be a Padre next year, as he is not good and the Padres seem to prefer pitchers that are good.

Didn't you also pick the Cardinals to surge ahead and take the NL Central?

4. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

They couldn't stay in the race but the Mariners still had an amazing season, finishing 2nd in the West at 88-74 (5th overall in the AL). Many predicted another last place finish for Seattle. If they can land another arm and bat this winter perhaps they'll be the wild card in '08.

Props to the Brewers. The Padres killed their run to the postseason so they turned around put a little salt in SD's game, sending them to a one-game play-in at Colorado. Here's hoping the Rockies can pull off this amazing run to the wild card. It's 5-5 at the moment.

And how 'bout dem Mets?!?! That's gotta burn. I'm happy for the Phils though. They've not been in the postseason since...damn I was in h.s.

Baltimore can send Tampa Bay another "Thank You" card for sparing them the embarassment of finishing last...again.

#664 Anarky, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  5. tucsoncoyote

The Ultimate Barroom brawl..

Oh man what a game.. But now we know who won by a score of 9 to 8 In just 13 innings.. It's Colorado!

So it's now set.. Colorado vs the Phillies..

But this one.. was the Ultimate Barroom brawl.. and Colorado finally got the upper hand, and there go the Padres. Having to go home with no real choice but to accept the defeat.

Also It looks like the ump might have made a bad call.. :eek: Anyone want to comment on THAT??!!

Congrats to the Rockies. They put up one heck of a fight! and in the end, Colorado is "The Cinderella team to watch."

#665 tucsoncoyote, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  6. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

WOW! What a game between both the Padres and the Rockies! Holliday was clearly out on that last run. His arm never reached the home plate. Plus, what a nasty slide face first into the dirt.:sweat:

Oh well! CONGRATS ROCKIES FANS!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I wanted the Rockies to win but that was a blown call at home.
    oh well, sucks to a San Diego fan this wkd: Padres are gone fishin' and the Chargers are 1-3. At least San Diegans have their perfect weather.

8. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

now that the season has concluded do we continue this thread or begin a postseason thread?

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

I think the procedure in the past has been that one of the Moderators starts a postseason thread.

Also, anyone who decries baseball in the basis of being too boring, too slow, not exciting enough or any crappy, unfounded reasons like that, your last shred of an argument just went the [expletive] out the window. That is all.

Also Matt Holliday was out on the final play but Tim McClelland is a "veteran umpire" so no one will call him out on it. Just saying.

10. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

So, what happened with the Red Sox? Are they in the playoffs or are they done?

11. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

The Red Sox clinched a playoff spot 2 weeks ago and specifically clinched the AL East last Friday. They start their Division Series against Los Angeles on Wednesday as per the schedule posted on the previous page of this thread.

I find my curiousity piqued; what gave you the impression that they were done?

12. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

That's good to know. :)

I thought they were done, since I kinda lost track of where they were and I didn't hear anything about them in the thread,

13. tucsoncoyote

The Match ups

So here are our Matchups..

ALDS Playoffs

(Los Angeles) Angels vs the (Boston) Red Sox
    (New York) Yankees vs the (Cleveland) Indians

So for the Red Sox^^^.. Their season is far from over.

NLDS Playoffs

(Arizona) Diamondbacks vs the (Chicago) Cubs
    (Philadelphia) Phillies vs the (Colorado) Rockies.

In fact the fun is just beginning.. And let's get some Mod to start that Post Season thread..

As for the call? I think the Ump blew it as well, but like BCVM Pointed out, he's a "Veteran" Ump.. but still it makes you wonder..

14. PhatMan

PhatMan Member

I don't know about that call. I mean if you watch it again the hand went under his foot and his hand got stepped on. Only a finger needs to touch the plate. He could of caught the corner it's hard to tell.

15. tucsoncoyote

That'll leave a mark for sure!

Well from my angle, it look like his whole left arm brushed the plate (Of course the arm was under the body), but like it's been said, All you need to do is just touch the plate, and you're safe provided that the catcher doesn't tag you out before you get there.

But still that slide has gotta hurt..OWWWWWW!

16. n1c3guy707

n1c3guy707 Always lurking

I agree, not to take anything away from the Rockies awesome surge and victory Matt Holliday was out. Michael Barret's foot was in front of the plate by a couple of inches even if Matt Holliday's hand went underneath his foot Matt Holliday wouldn't be able to touch the plate. Oh well there's still next year Padre's fan. Now let's get ready for the post season.

17. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Game was incredibly fun to watch. Coors Field is always fun. Will be nice to see the Rockies in the playoffs this year. Should definitely be a blast. Surging Phillies, surging Rockies. It's amazing that the Mets and Padres both held comfortable leads only to blow them down the stretch.

18. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

Great job by the Rockies. That game probably would have been a lot of fun if I hadn't been horribly sick last night and barely managed to check the score every 20 minutes or so.

With the Rockies in the playoffs, they're a team to watch for.

This also makes the Yankees the only team to make the playoffs again from last year.

I'll predict Indians vs. Red Sox and Cubs vs. Rockies in the League Championship Series.

19. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I tend to have forgot that the Padres released David Wells to bring up one of the younger players, but I believe when they had Wells they were the third oldest pitching staff in the majors (behind the Yankees and Mets).

What I said with the Cardinals was if they could keep playing consistently with the way the Brewers and Cubs were playing they would win the NL Central. They became inconsistent during the last three weeks of the season (after climbing within two games of the Brewers and Cubs), and that inconsistency, which was well illustarated in the series against Houston where they were offically eliminated, is what cost them the playoff spot.

[​IMG] (89-73) San Diego Padres 8
    [​IMG] (89-73) Colorado Rockies 9
    13 Innings

The game was filled with controversy as a home run was ruled as a double and what appeared to be the base runner never touching home plate getting credited for the game winning run, but the Rockies made it 14 out of 15 to end the season, and Jake Peavy blew his third big game of the year. I still expect Peavy to win the Cy Young award, but he has a ways to go to be a big game pitcher.

Onto my playoff picks:
    [​IMG] Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim vs. [​IMG] Boston Red Sox
    This series could easily become a pitchers duel series. The Angels pitching has been a little more consistent this year, but the Angels always gave the Red Sox close games when they met head-to-head.
    RED SOX in 5

[​IMG] New York Yankees vs. [​IMG] Cleveland Indians
    The number of Indian wins against the Yankees this year is zero, but CC Sabathia never pitched against the Yankees this year. The Indians look to have a slight advantage when it comes to the #3 pitchers, especially with the uncertainty of Roger Clemens still sitting at the Yankees door.
    INDIANS in 5

[​IMG] Colorado Rockies vs. [​IMG] Philadelphia Phillies
    The Phillies will have 15 game winner Hamels, 10 game winner Kendrick, and 14 game winner Moyer as three of their four startting pitchers. Colorado comes in as the hottest team in baseball, and they didn't use their ace (Francis is 17-9 and pitching game 1) in the game against the Padres to actually get into the NL Divisonal series, but their bullpen should still be worn out when Games 1 and 2 occur. Unless the Rockies starters can go seven plus innings a game, the Phillies have the advantage.
    PHILLIES in 4

[​IMG] Chicago Cubs (the loveable losers) vs. [​IMG] Arizona Diamondbacks
    When you look at the records of the starting pitchers, the Cubbies look to have the advantage. The Diamonbacks have one player, not on the active roster, that can help get their pitching staff ready for the post-season though, and that is Randy Johnson. While he can't play, his experience, even if it's a coaching position, should give them a slight advantage against the team from the worst division in baseball.
    DIAMONDBACKS in 5

I'll re-evaluate the teams after the first round, but if all these happen, here's the rest of my picks:
    Red Sox vs. Indians- Indians in 7
    Phillies vs. Diamondbacks- Diamondbacks in 7

World Series: Indians vs. Diamondbacks- Indians in 6 (The AL will use the DH to their advantage in the World Series once more to win the series).

20. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Last nights game proves my point, that I thought for years, Mariano Rivera is head and shoulders better than any other closer since he has been a closer.

Trevor Hoffman is not good enough to shine Mariano's shoes.