1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Major League Baseball "2007 Season" Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Duke, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

Top to bottom the '07 D'backs are a far better team than the '01 club. Johnson/Schilling/Gonzalez had amazing (post)seasons, but they more often than not were carrying 22 other guys on their backs. The other starters were usually atrocious, although Brian Anderson and Miguel Batista pulled out some of their career best performances in the World Series, and the bullpen was even worse. Not even counting his Game 4 and 5 meltdowns, Byung Hyun Kim was even more spotty than Jose Valverde has been this year. This year's motto is "Anyone, anytime" for a reason, and I see no reason why they can't win the NL pennant. The World Series will be a little tougher, but lets face it: the odds aren't any worse than they were in 2001.

2. n1c3guy707

n1c3guy707 Always lurking

With the Padres/Phillies losing and the Mets/Rockies winning has made the playoff picture complicated once again. Wow a possible 4 way tie for the wild card that's just amazing. As for the Dbacks cliching home field advantage through out the Playoffs (well in the NL's side anyways) is worth a lot for the Dbacks. The Dbacks are 50-31 at home so home field is huge for them while the Cub are only 41-39 on the road so the advantage should belong to the Dbacks but who knows since the whole regular season had been wide open specially the last week or so.

#642 n1c3guy707, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2007
  3. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

We're not average anymore...and folks can laugh at me for saying that!

Gee, for all of it's "Averageness" The D-backs are sure getting a lot of talk. Some folks call them a "Fraud". Some call them amazing, and yet others talk about how the '07 team is better than the '01 team.

But anyway you slice it, there's one major factor that still comes into play here...

and his name is Bob Melvin..

Now Melvin i have to say did a spankin' good job of taking a bunch of inexperienced players who weren't even a team per se, and in fact some could have considered a laughing stock team. A joke Really.

Yet Like I said, Bob's Middle nickname is in fact, Merlin..

and believe me this is why I say Arizona's got a real shot this year of going at least as far as the NLCS if not all the way.

and you know what got them to this point? Three words...

Consistency, consistency, consistency....

Believe me this goes all the way back when I made a comment to folks that "Home Runs are good to help win games, but singles, doubles and even triples help too."

Take a look at any scorecard over the last six months and you see that the D-backs not only hit homeruns but also tons and tons of doubles and even Sacrifice flies..

The point is that sure they got outscored for a majority of the season, sure they didn't have someone like Barry Bonds. and yet you have guys like CB Young, Eric Byrnes, Chad Tracey, and Brandon Webb, and Valverde, turning runs and strikeouts into wins.. and in fact it's amazing that the D-backs could string together a lot of them. 90 to be exact.

But you know who helped these guys get this far.. Bob Melvin, and after San Diego's loss to Milwaukee, Livian Hernandez broke out the six $400 bottles of Cristal and in fact gave one whole bottle to guess who? Yep you guessed it.. Bob Melvin..

Bob You did one heck of a job to give the D-backs their fourth Dvision title.. and this from a bunch of "Average Tinhorns."

So can the D-backs go on and win the NLCS outright? It's anyone's guess what will happen. Even though in Game 161, they lost to Colorado 11-1, they still got 1 to go..

As for Colorado? Tonight they're sleepless in Denver hoping that San Diego will blow it tomorrow, or that they can be the D-backs..either way the San Diego / Colorado fight is far from over.. But for the D-backs.. It's sit back and relax time.. so.. anyone want to hand me some of that Cristal?

:coyote:

4. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

My Astros complete the lame 2007 season 73-89. Not what we expected this year from them since we had high hopes but when your team has a lame starting rotation, except for Oswalt, you'd expect bad results.:mad:

Today, we bid goodbye to Mr. Astro, Mr. 3000, CRAIG BIGGIO! The man went 1-4 with a double and a run to end his 20 years with the Astros!!

THANKS BIGGIO FOR 20 GREAT YEARS!!!;)

5. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

The Tigers close out the season with a huge game, going 88-74. A step back from last year, but with all the injuires, it's great that we hung in there so long. We'll need to pick up a couple of new guys over the off-season, but we've got a solid foundation already built, and a team that could be considered the best when healthy.

Good luck to the Angels and Red Sox from the AL, and all the NL teams.

I'll be pulling for the Cubs and Padres/Rockies from the National League.

6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

If the multiple scenarios confused or frightened you, here are the playoff series for both leagues. All pitcher records and ERAs are, of course, for the regular season, as statistics reset upon the start of the postseason. All times for all games TBD. A tentative broadcast schedule for the postseason can be found here.

ALDS
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (AL West) vs. Boston Red Sox (AL East) (All pitching matchups TBA)
    Game 1: Wednesday, October 3rd at Fenway Park
    Game 2: Friday, October 5th at Fenway Park
    Game 3: Sunday, October 7th at Angel Stadium
    Game 4 (if necessary): Monday, October 8th at Angel Stadium
    Game 5 (if necessary): Wednesday, October 10th at Fenway Park
    Predicted rotation for Boston is RHP Beckett, RHP Schilling, RHP Matsuzaka
    Predicted rotation for Los Angeles is RHP Lackey, RHP Escobar, RHP Weaver

New York Yankees (AL Wild Card) vs. Cleveland Indians (AL Central)
    Game 1: Thursday, October 4th at Jacobs Field, RHP C. Wang (19-7, 3.70 ERA) vs. LHP C.C. Sabatha (19-7, 3.21 ERA)
    Game 2: Friday, October 5th at Jacobs Field, LHP Andy Pettite (15-7, 4.05 ERA) vs. RHP Fausto Carmona (19-8, 3.06 ERA)
    Game 3: Sunday, October 7th at Yankee Stadium, RHP Jake Westbrook (6-9, 4.32 ERA) vs. RHP Roger Clemens (6-6, 4.18 ERA)
    Game 4 (if necessary): Monday, October 8th at Yankee Stadium (TBA vs. TBA)
    Game 5 (if necessary): Wednesday, October 10th at Jacobs Field (TBA vs. TBA)

NLDS
    Chicago Cubs (NL Central) vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (NL West)
    Game 1: Wednesday, October 3rd at Chase Field, RHP Carlos Zambrano (18-13, 3.95 ERA) vs. RHP Brandon Webb (18-10, 3.01 ERA)
    Game 2: Thursday, October 4th at Chase Field, LHP Ted Lilly (15-8, 3.86 ERA) vs. LHP Doug Davis (13-12, 4.25 ERA)
    Game 3: Saturday, October 6th at Wrigley Field, RHP Livan Hernandez (11-11, 4.93 ERA) vs. LHP Rich Hill (11-8, 3.92 ERA)
    Game 4 (if necessary): Sunday, October 7th at Wrigley Field, RHP Micah Owings (8-8, 4.30 ERA) vs. TBA
    Game 5 (if necessary): Tuesday, October 9th at Chase Field, TBA vs. TBA

Colorado Rockies (NL Wild Card) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (NL East) (All pitching matchups TBA)
    Game 1: Wednesday, October 3rd at Citizens Bank Ballpark
    Game 2: Thursday, October 4th at Citizens Bank Ballpark
    Game 3: Saturday, October 6th at Coors Field
    Game 4 (if necessary): Sunday, October 7th at Coors Field
    Game 5 (if necessary): Tuesday, October 9th at Citizens Bank Ballpark

#646 BCVM22, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  7. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Hm.. it's gonna be tough to decide who to root for with the Diamondbacks and Cubs, but I have to go torwards the D-Backs. The Cubs will just have to wait another year. As far as the Phillies vs Padres/Rockies, I hope the Rockies get to the playoffs, but the Phillies win it.

As far as the AL goes, I want the Indians to go all the way. Shut the Red Sox and Yankees fans up. =P Angels are meh. Beware of Lackey!

8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

They do? Well, damn. I was getting all excited over the playoffs and everything. Oh well. I'll go tell the team they're going to have to wait another year.

;)

9. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Gladly. :) I hate the Cubs. I'm sick of this "It's all Bartman's fault, yaddayadda." We all know Alou could have made that play. Thing is.. they still lost that game and the next on their own accord. So Chicago fans need to stop threatening the poor man, lol. :/ I think he should go to the first playoff game in Chicago this year. Totally would be great. :D

I mean, I hope they win a World Series someday, but I just think it'd be great to see the overachieving Diamondbacks come in and win it all. They weren't expected to finish 2nd in the West, much less win it and home field advantage. That's just my feelings on it.

10. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

My thoughts exactly :D

Besides, I'd like to see Brandon Webb add a World Series ring to his Cy Young award. We're both from crappy old Ashland, KY, so he does us Ashlanders proud when he does well.

11. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

I'll be a happy camper only if the Yankees don't win it this year!

Any other team is ok in my book!

12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

No Chicago Cubs fan of any worth or value blames Bartman for 2003. Understand this - not a single, solitary one. Anyone who does has absolutely no concept of baseball, how it's played or what goes on during a game. That anyone of any value blames Bartman or any horrible, outdated, worthless notion of a "curse" or anything of that nature is a blatant, filthy lie told by the national sports media in an effort to stir up controversy and paint a picture different from that of reality. Do not bother arguing with me, because it's the absolute truth.

13. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

QFT, if the Yankess win, it would be really saddening. DX

14. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Astute observation. You are the Tim McCarver of ToonZone.

No offense, but the fact that they won 90 games would seem to indicate otherwise.

Meh, I guess I hope the Phillies win.

15. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

Been saying it this entire thread...

90 games indicates just that; that they won 90 games. It doesn't change the fact that Arizona as a team is 15th (out of 16) in the NL in batting average, last in OBP and 13th in OPS. Those of us who keep saying this and similar statements aren't saying that numbers on their own guarantee Arizona won't perform in the postseason, but these statistics don't come out of nowhere and they indicate significant deficiencies in the team, deficiencies that the team somehow overcome to win their division.

16. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

If you win by scoring the most runs, then being outscored the majority of the season and winning the majority of your games are mutually exclusive. That's not to say they aren't awful on offensive, though.

17. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

Nope. Arizona has a terrible, possibly even negative (I haven't checked in awhile), run differential because they've won so many one-run games. But when they do lose, they have a tendency to get their asses kicked. Say you win 4 games 1-0, but then lose 11-2; you've gone 4-1. But you've been outscored by 5 runs. That's about the gist of the D'backs season.

18. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

And a lot of those were blown saves by Jose Valverde.

19. n1c3guy707

n1c3guy707 Always lurking

A one game playoff this Monday, man the regular season just wont end. I can't wait until the start of the playoffs since my team isn't in it I will most likely root for the Cleveland Indians because of the Bay area kid C.C. Sabathia.

20. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

Don't remind me. :sweat: