1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Made Up Superheros Team up!

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by lorbo, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorbo

lorbo Member

Many have heroes they have thought up, many posted on the the thread 'superhero ideas lingering in your head'

Here is mine, what do ya think? How well do you think should would do if put in a team with other made up superheros? And what villains that do exist in comics would give her trouble? Which ones could she steam roll easily.

An Ironic Superheroine

Good? Lemme know..........

Name:
    Winn Real Name: Claire Guthrie Gender: Female Age: 24

Alignment:
    Job seeker that was transported to an alien planet while applying for a job, got her powers after a brush with death there. She use to do gymnastics in HS and is naturally athletic, plus good with numbers. By the time she was 18 she could fly planes and play the violin thanks to her parents who kept her VERY busy.

Appearance:
    Caucasian with blonde shoulder length hair. Wears a sky blue longsleeve top and breeches of same color. Has white boots and cape, with a bird symbol on chest. She has to wear costume for powers to work.

Personality: Winn is very observant, calm under pressure, and generally no nonense with any work she does. Her motive is to go home, but also to save an alien race from another that is using them undercover as fodder to make an addictive drug. This is how she almost dies and gets her powers. One of her flaws is taking on more than she can handle-she tends to say yes more than no.

Powers: All her powers are timed, they each last a minute before needing a recharge by not using it (recharge is automatic when not in use), And she doesn'thave to recharge fully to use a power either. They include flight, 0 to 1000 mph instantly, she can stop on a dime. That's her top speed. invulnerability (used whenever anything that hurt a normal person occurs) super strength, and adhesive skin.

I think she would rely on high speed only when in danger, and that would solve most problems. I don't know of many that could challenge a character zipping around at 1000 mph unless they know her weakness. BTW she is aware of exactly how much time she has left for each power.

[​IMG]

2. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Your character has a lot of very high-level powers. It's hard to think up an interesting challenge for someone like that. What do you think would be keeping her from taking out the aliens through sheer force? The weakness is interesting, but I'm not sure how that sort of character flaw would interfere unless your scenarios are designed around it (e.g. she has to sacrifice some lives in order to save many and she's stuck with that choice).

3. lorbo

lorbo Member

To a degree your right, however the evil aliens already know she has powers, the fact that she almost died and got powers was all part of their plan. Her keeping her memories was not, that was a glitch that was not suppose to happen. Remember too though that she won't be wearing the costume 24/7, when she's not wearing it, the powers won't work. That the evil aliens know, although they don't know her limits. She gets a powerful tech tool that allows her to disable most of the aliens tech without going brute on them. Besides, due to her interference, getting help from an outside ally, the aliens rather run away, not because of her though. Her new ally, unknown to her, is more dangeroush than the evil aliens. She trusts the new ally, because it gave her the powerful tech that prevented a full scale battle that would have cost lives.

4. lorbo

lorbo Member

Also she is not the only one of her kind, it's just the others had their memories wiped. Her new ally was able to make sure hers stayed.

5. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Okay. She has her memories, so is it that she was meant to be a weapon for the aliens but now their plan backfired. I'm assuming the aliens aren't the real antagonists here. Maybe they wanted her as a weapon against the more powerful threat (her new ally), only she doesn't know that and is now being deceived by the real enemy?

6. lorbo

lorbo Member

Yes and no. The evil aliens are quite amoral, her new ally is childish at best, amoral at worst, with GREAT power. You have to understand that her ally is an AI that was made by the same people who are responsible for nearly wiping out the evil alien species. The evil aliens however managed to totally eradicate them, just not all their tech, in a war long ago. Now their are only 4 of the evil aliens left, the last of their kind.

7. lorbo

lorbo Member

These evil aliens are like Daleks, how they look, but far more clever.........they don't tell people they are going to exterminate them. They just think of a way to do it...........on a massive scale. If she had her memories wiped they would have just used her as an agent, To do dangerous stuff that may get her killed, stuff they would'nt do for obvious reasons. Know that they use to have an empire, and are keen on getting it back, even if it's ancient history. Unlike Daleks, they don't intend to kill everyone, just if you oppose them, or if your death furthers their ends.

In the case of the drug trade, that actually was great for their economy while it lasted. Before Winn interfered.

8. lorbo

lorbo Member

Just using her powrs can be dangerous. If she were to fly 1000 mph, don't you think her invulnerbility is being taxed? So if she needed to get somewhere fast that was far away, you could potentially defeat her just by tracking her with aircraft and missiles. When she slowed down, boom! There are aircraft that fly faster that 1000 mph, and you can bet the aliens have tech like that.

9. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Alright. I'm beginning to see how you've worked out your story. The four remaining aliens are evil. Check. The AI ally is child-like with great power. Check. This is a good foundation for Winn's story in my opinion. Because Winn is your main character/heroine, the story obviously revolves around her and thus must challenge her. As I mentioned she is a very powerful heroine and so a physical threat is hardly a threat at all in terms of the aliens. What I think you have for yourself here is a good opportunity for a more cerebral challenge wherein Winn may have all of this physical strength, but perhaps fails to see that some sort of manipulation is being played upon her by the AI and that she may perhaps be furthering its goals. Maybe when this is finally revealed to her she'll eventually be forced to team up with the remaining evil aliens (reluctantly of course) to overcome the greater threat. I know your story is probably radically different, but what would you think of something like that?

10. lorbo

lorbo Member

Actually I alreaddy had thought of them teaming up at one point, although not necessarily against he AI. But I don't know where I'm gonna go with rest of the story, thanks for ideas, anymore you got? I just may try that suggestion. Funny thing is, by default, the AI is not really evil, just overpowered and sometimes amoral, so I did'nt want it to be the villain.

11. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

I'll think of some ideas and post in a minute, but always go with your gut in terms of what you feel best serves your story.

12. lorbo

lorbo Member

Your idea is quite logical, I probably may as well go with it, since I'm not entirely sure how this all gonna end. One thing is sure, I am not killing off the bad aliens, I would rather keep them alive, it's more interesting that way. That does'nt mean some of them won't die, just not ALL of them.

13. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Situation 1:

The AI is childlike, but it still operates in terms of cold logic (see I, Robot). What would be more surprising to both Winn and the reader than this seemingly docile entity, which Winn has been working with all along, than it being revealed as the true villain of the story? This would certainly throw a wrench into things.

A. Why is he child-like? Let's assume his creators programmed his personality that way purposefully. For this, you must think of what a child wants. Combine that pure desire with the power agency that his creators endowed him with to produce your threat (e.g. If a child wants his parents undivided attention, an artificial AI child with the power of yours may trap his "parents" and hold them hostage)

B. If the AI is not childlike, he can more logically present himself as a potential ally to Winn and get her to work with him against the remaining aliens. Only Winn doesn't know what the aliens know about the threat that the loosed AI now poses until they somehow manage to communicate it to her. At which point the real threat is revealed forcing Winn to team up with the aliens.

Note: I think it's really interesting when a "bad guy" has to do something "good". It's at once a fascinating turn and if done right, redemptive.

14. lorbo

lorbo Member

That's downright brilliant thanks! I am leaning towards the malevolent AI that is faking the whole child routine, what is it's aim though, it's creators are dead, and it actually saved lives by helping Winn, what does it want that is evil if it is'nt killing people on the same scale as the Balteks (evil aliens). What would you want If you were a powerful AI, your creators are dead, their enemies are few, and you have new friend who trusts you.

I think it will be fun to have the Balteks try to conveince Winn that the AI is dangerous when they are not teddy bears themselves.

15. lorbo

lorbo Member

Fact, the Balteks, aside from the armored cases they move in, relied almost exclusively on the defeated alien race's technology. Why? It is based on nanites that replicate, forming starships, gadgets, and computers, as well as robots. With the device the AI gave Winn, soon all of it will be under the AI's control.

16. lorbo

lorbo Member

With this bit of info, do have more ideas?

17. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Give me a minute...

EDIT:

He could be the reason for their deaths. Or he could still have some survivors hidden away that no one knows about. It may be the trickiest to come up with an adequate reason that makes sense for the AI to be a threat. Something logical, but not cliche. Okay. Let's say his initial designation is to destroy the Balteks. But the Balteks have become somehow necessary to the stability of the larger galaxy. The only problem would be that there are only four left.

You said that one of Winn's flaws was her always trying to do too much. You can challenge that aspect of her character by forcing her to accept that the Baltek's reign, though heinous, is better than the alternative ("the lesser of two evils"/kind of like how the US tries to place one dictator in power because they're "better than the alternative").

Yes. That's a good chance for Winn to perhaps not believe them, but then maybe a seed of doubt is planted that makes her suspicious/leads her to investigate.

Alternative: Let's say the way the Baltek's defeated the other race is by somehow getting access to and reprogramming the AI to instead of destroying the Balteks destroy the other race of aliens. So maybe the AI understands its mandate as not only to destroy all of the alien race, but everything that they ever built/their technology. And if that technology has become pivotal on a mass scale throughout the galaxy, there's your threat. Thus it's goal would be to first destroy all the vital tech throughout the galaxy and then itself. Winn's goal would then become to destroy the AI at all cost.

18. lorbo

lorbo Member

Fact, the Balteks relied almost exclusively on Guardian tech (the defeated race tech). It's great because it's composed of tiny nanites that can replicate and form ships, robots, computers, and gadgets. With the interference of Winn and the AI, now all of it will soon be under control of the AI.

What would you do if you were the AI, given all that has happened, what are your intentions. Maybe the AI wants to be free of it's computer restraints and become like a human, or is something else more left field or compelling. Killing everyone has been done before-that idea.

19. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Check out my edit up there. What do you think?

20. lorbo

lorbo Member

History: Long ago the Balteks and the Guardians were allies, until the Balteks started to abuse the technology on lower races, the Guardians would not tolerate that, and it sparked a war that ended with the annhilation of the Guardians and the near death of all the Balteks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.