1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Luke Cage" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This thread is for members to speak about all 13 episodes or the majority of them at once.

[​IMG]

Series Talkback

Friday, September 30, 2016 @ 12 a.m. on Netflix

A hoodie-wearing, unbreakable ex-con fights to clear his name and save his neighborhood. He wasn't looking for a fight, but the people need a hero.

Cheo Hodari Coker: Writer and Executive Producer
    Starring: Mike Colter, Alfre Woodard, Theo Rossi, Rosario Dawson, Simone Missick, Mahershala Ali, Sonia Braga
    Filming: September 2015 to May 2016
    Release Date: September 30, 2016
    Home Entertainment Release: November 27, 2017 (U.K.)
    Social Media: Twitter,
    Sources: Reddit 9/20/14, Newsarama 12/22, IGN 3/3/15, Newsarama 3/31, SpoilerTV 6/26, CBM 8/1, Deadline 8/21, CBM 8/26, CB 9/2, CBR 9/2, Deadline 9/2, CBR 9/3, LC Tweet 9/3, Deadline 9/9, Marvel 9/15, Marvel 9/16, CBR 10/12, CBR 10/12, BF 10/23, CBR 11/24, CBR 12/14, CBR 12/29, IGN 1/17/16, CBR 1/20, JJ Tweet 1/25, Marvel 2/1, CBR 3/11, McGuigan Tweet 3/19, EW 4/3, CBR 4/13, CBR 4/13, CBR 4/21, CBM 5/18, CBR 6/24, Deadline 6/28, Marvel 6/30, CBR 7/18, USA 7/19, CBR 7/21, Newsarama 7/21, Coker Tweet 7/29, CBM 7/30, CBR 8/3, CBR 8/6, CBM 8/9, CBM 8/19, CBR 8/20, CBR 8/23, CBM 8/24, CB 8/31, CBR 9/6, CB 9/7, EW 9/9, CBR 9/16, CB 9/16, CBR 9/21, CBR 9/22, CBM 9/23, CB 9/25, CB 9/27, CB 9/28, CBR 9/30, CBR 9/30, CB 9/30, CB 9/30, CBR 10/3, CBR 10/3, CBR 10/3, CB 10/6,
    Filming: CS 9/16, CBM 9/24, CBM 11/16, CBM 12/3, CBM 1/31/16, CBM 3/28, CBR 5/25,
    Teaser/Clips: Marvel 3/18, NF YT 7/21, NF YT 7/21, CBR 8/9, CBR 8/28, CB 9/7, CBM 9/12, CBR 9/20, CBR 9/26, CBR 9/29,

This thread is for members to speak about all 13 episodes or the majority of them at once.

#1.01: "Moment of Truth"
    #1.02: "Code of the Streets"
    #1.03: "Who's Gonna Take The Weight?"
    #1.04: "Step in the Arena"
    #1.05: "Just to Get a Rep"
    #1.06: "Suckas Need Bodyguards"
    #1.07: "Manifest"
    #1.08: "Blowin' Up The Spot"
    #1.09: "DWYCK"
    #1.10: "Take It Personal"
    #1.11: "Now You're Mine"
    #1.12: "Soliloquy of Chaos"
    #1.13: "You Know My Steez"

(Should be up in the next 3 hours or so.)

#1 Yojimbo, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm already on episode 6. I'm impressed; this show is strong. It has intimate character moments on the level of Daredevil or Jessica Jones; heck, it might put even more emphasis on the characters than those two shows. Luke Cage, who I liked in JJ, has grown on me even more. He's incredibly likable.

Surprisingly, this show may have the most MCU references so far. Aside from the obligatory Avengers referneces, we get a few Justin Hammer name-drops, obvious Jessica Jones connections, and a sub-plot from Daredevil season 2 is continued. The first few minutes of episode 6 has a cameo that had me smiling.

Like most of the MCU series, the villains are strong; Cottonmouth is intense, though I'm not sure how I feel about his politician cousin yet...

Anyway, I'll be done with the season in a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Okay, finally finished this week. Great series from beginning to end, slightly above Daredevil S1, (mind you I never watched JJ. not interested, might try though). As a fan of blaxploitation films 70's-90's, they hit alot of cords. For me the black writers talk was amazing to see ever on film. I read some of those guys who wrote Never Die Alone and Cotton Comes to Harlem, and kinda wish Tarantino would take a stab at those like he did for Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch. . . Then again errrr nah. l loved the villains in this, they were just realistic and yet cheesy enough to get by. Dillards mother looked like original Black Mariah, as she seemed inspired as an evil Maxine Waters (wrong coast). Woodard is a great underrated actress. Colter was okay for me, but . . . I'll just say I will always love Wesley as Blade anyday over Colter's Cage. Just me. The references were fun, though the "sweet christmas" was just about to wear a little too thin. Loved Misty, though I thought we were gonna get the bionic arm. hmmm, maybe in Defenders. Marvel must really really love The Wire. At least seven or eight actors are in Marvel films. Can you name em all?

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

4. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I just finnished the last episode.

Unfortunately, this is the weakest Marvel Netflix show to date. The first half was pretty solid crime drama, but the writers seemed to have trouble with keeping the pace up the last 6 episodes and the series kinda stumbles to the end. I don't want to call the series bad, but both Daredevil and Jessica Jones raised the bar so high, that it is hard not to feel little disappointed.

Cottonmouth was really effective villain and the philosophical conflict between him and Cage was perfect, but once he dies, everything goes south. Frankly, Diamondback is hammy cartoon villain, who doesn't gel with the tone of rest of the series, and all the plot twists about his history with Cage come out of nowhere and feel like twists just for the sake of having twists. I'm sure that Diamondback could have been great, if he and his rivalry with Cage had a whole season to develop, but now his story-arc was too rushed. I can't help, but agree with the popular opinion that Cottonmouth should have been the main villain throughout the whole season and Diamondback in turn should have been saved for season 2.

It also really annoyed me how the villains were one step ahead of the heroes more thanks to their plot armor rather than for being actually dangerous. Sure, the corrupted system helped them a lot, but they keep escaping at the last second, dodging rain of bullets and finding important evidence too many times. I'm not saying that everything should be easy for our heroes, but the adversity must come from a natural place or the inner logic of the story doesn't work. Compare this to Daredevil dismantling Fisk's empire piece by piece or Jessica trying to capture Kilgrave alive, while avoiding his powers, and you see what I mean.

I don't want to bee too negative, since the show has numerous genuinely great moments and elements. The first half was really good, the main characters are compelling, all the little winks at the comic book fans (like Luke Cage's classic costume) were appreciated and, even though Daredevil's Opening Theme is still by personal favorite individual piece of music, this show had overall the best soundtrack out of all Marvel Netflix shows. Plus, Luke Cage's cultural significance to black people can't be belittled.

My thoughts are maybe little mixed and without a coherent thread, but that kinda sums up the whole show. Better than most of your average tv-shows, but by no means a homerun.

5. the greenman

Well, the series may not be in your 'wheelhouse'. It is clearly based on Blaxploitation films and tropes, which is where the comic derives from. So if you are not a fan of those films, you probably know what to expect with this. Same as 'Jackie Brown', Tarantino was deliberately making a Blaxploitation film, yet people wanted a kinda Pulp Fiction part 2, and it met with less than stellar reviews because of that. So you're critique is not surprising. Now, we'll see if Iron Fist is actually based on the 70's-80's Shaw Bros. Kung-fu films (that even inspired Wu-Tang Clan), like Kill Bill did.

6. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I admit that I'm not too farmiliar with the blaxtoitation genre, but I don't think that my criticisms has anything to do with the tropes of said genre.

7. the greenman

No, I do understand your criticisms. The idea of having Diamondback in the second half is kinda weird. However, the aforementioned genre often had two villains ultimately a "The Man" as the final antagonist. Checkout "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka" and "Black Dynamite" for parodies of the genre. Some of the silly tropes in this were absurd, i.e. firing a rocket into a five story tenement. However, in all those films the music was and is excellent. How bout The Hughes Corporation in 'Blacula'. . .

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'm up to episode six. Watching @ my bro's house every other weekend, two eps at a time.

Having read some of the original Hero For Hire books that form part of the basis for this series, I get the story being updated for modern sensibilities, using 90's R & B stars like Faith Evans as musical guests. IMPO, Pop was killed off too soon in the story. We (my bro, his roomie, & me) all thought Luke would go with the yellow shirt and jeans once he had the headband. I wonder if they'll use costumed villains like Chemistro in season 2........

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator