1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Love Is Hard" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Love Is Hard

I finally finished the new BANG issue (digital download will be available soon) and finally had the freedom to do whatever I wanted. Instead of getting farther in Bayonetta or watching any of Over The Garden Wall, I wound up writing this all weekend.

This is something I really have been thinking about for many years. I had the sudden realization recently that the same belief of writing I had about "getting to know" your characters also applied to the depiction of love. It was something not many people realized or thought about.

I had to cut off the article somewhere and couldn't use half the examples I had. Mordecai and Margaret appear at the end because that was an example of character growth being applied -- eventually the RS staff realized Margaret wasn't going anywhere and replaced her with Cloudy Jane. Adventure Time isn't afraid to experiment either....they started out trying to bring Finn and Princess Bubblegum together, only to change that direction when Peebles grew as a character and became too cold and calculating for it to work with Finn.

EDIT: Just saw "Eileen Flat-Screen." So Margaret is back? Ugh.

I had paragraphs and paragraphs in my head about Joe Quesada. No room.

#1 Peter Paltridge, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  2. rockmonster

rockmonster Member

[​IMG]

Fantastic article. Maybe this is why I can't get into Bones/Booth. Or would that just be personal preference? :sweat:

3. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

The comparison between live-action Mary Jane, a MacGuffin, and a donut sounds genius.

4. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

After reading the article, I couldn't help but think back to Golden Time. The romance between Banri and Koko wasn't as bad as some to those examples sounded (I've seen none of those shows). In fact, it was actually entertaining at times. But it often seemed to me like the side characters (specifically Mitsuo, Chinami, and 2D) had more interesting relationships and characterizations than the main duo, and seeing a foreshadowed relationship never get any real disclosure left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

5. Dsneybuf

Do you mind if I ask you think the romantic subplots in the Marvel Cinematic Universe compare to the one from the old Spider-Man movies?

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

To my annoyance, they made Gwen exactly what MJ should have been earlier. Of course, you can't keep Gwen around for long, so now if they put MJ into Sinister Six and give her any depth or character, she'll be accused of ripping off Gwen.

There hasn't been much in the way of romance in the Disney films proper. We have Thor and Jane which isn't that interesting. Notice they Double Maguffined her by giving her all the power everyone was looking for in the sequel.

7. Dsneybuf

Personally, the nicest things I have to say about romance in the MCU would probably involve Captain America and Peggy Carter.
    On a side note, I haven't seen Thor: The Dark World or either The Amazing Spider-Man movie.

8. quiteliterally

That made me think of Niles and Daphne - despite not involving the show's main character, a lot of people do effectively consider it to be the show's central plot. Actually, David Hyde Pierce and Jane Leeves did have wonderful chemistry as a non-couple, but they weren't nearly half as fun to watch when they formally got together. Llyod and Keenan's departure from the show at around that point might have had something to do with that.

9. KaraokeNight

KaraokeNight New Member

I may be a bit late to the party, but I wanted to say that this explains a lot for me, and why I prefer romance as a side dish, not the main course. There are only so many ways a typical romcom can end, because there's this obligation for the main couple to get together. If the love stuff isn't the focus of the story, it can end a ton of different ways without making the movie or show a waste of the audience's time. Like you said, the characters can decide on their own whether there's a relationship or not.

Also, what's the chance that donut goes stale before the guy can get back to it?

10. Dsneybuf

Re-reading the part about Arrow and Smallville today, I unfortunately don't think the writers of Supergirl learned from those shows' mistakes, spending more time this season pushing a Kara/Mon-El romance than one between Kara and James.

#10 Dsneybuf, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017