1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney tunes: What to do now?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by brickrrb2, Aug 28, 2017.

1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Every attempt to revive the Looney tunes has fallen short and No one seems to want them to do the stuff that made them golden in the past. The Looney tunes show wasn't "Looney" Everyone was sore at Wabbit even though it made brave attempts to recapture old humor and no one seems to want them drawn as they are classically. Plus CN milks Teen Titans Go.

Can anything truly be done?

2. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

I haven't watched the Looney Tunes revivals (except for Wabbit which is bad), but yes, I do believe it's possible for these characters to go back to their golden age. Other studios already did it (Disney with Mickey Mouse Works and the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse, and let's not forget Felix the Cat) so it is possible.

Not to mention, we did get other show by Warner Bros. that are very close in spirit to the Looney Tunes: Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid.. or even the Cartoon Network shows such as Dexter's Lab, Billy & Mandy.. Oh, and Ren & Stimpy, as well. These shows have replaced the space the Looney Tunes once stayed in. And if they keep being this good, I won't have any complaints to make.

3. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

They need to get the right crew members and companies involved with a Looney Tunes production. For instance, compare "The Looney Tunes Show" with its' sister series "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated." The latter got a lot of WBA's A-list writers (even "Animaniacs" veterans like Paul Rugg), while the former relied on Improv writers from the Groundlings for the most part. Additionally, while TLTS typically had inferior animation by Rough Draft Korea (though several first-season episodes had great animation by Toon City), SD:MI had much better animation by Lotto Animation, Digital eMation and DongWoo A&E, three of WBA's main go-to overseas animation studios for non-Looney Tunes stuff. Music-wise, Robert J. Kral did a good job scoring SD:MI. But TLTS had Andy Sturmer providing the (rather sparse) music, and a lot of it was atonal and dissonant, not being very pleasant to listen to. So of course, SD:MI was the more superior show to TLTS.

I would get a lot of those A-list writers to do a Looney Tunes project, along with good designers instead of Jessica Borutski or whatever that are capable of being true to the classic cartoons and their animation, and have it animated by Toon City or Lotto Animation instead of just Rough Draft (that is, if they can't do it in-house.) Get a good composer that understands the Looney Tunes style to score it. And for sound design, get Robert Hargreaves and DigiPost.TV to do the post-production audio services. They understand how the classic Warner Bros. cartoons sound, and have access to practically the complete library of Treg Brown's classic sound effects (including ones not included on the Sound Ideas Warner Bros. Sound FX Library CD set, like the Tasmanian Devil spin, some of the other rocket and jet sounds, the original "trombone gobble," and the falling-down whistles.) Advantage Audio, on the other hand (who does "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" and also worked on the second season of "The Looney Tunes Show" and its' companion movie "Rabbits Run") doesn't seem to know how a Looney Tunes cartoon should sound, except for the later Warner/Seven Arts cartoons (as evidenced by the repetitive Hanna-Barbera sound effects in "Wabbit.")

In fact, look how high-quality the Tom & Jerry direct-to-video movies often are (though the animation quality did take kind of a downward step when they switched from Yearim Productions to Digital eMation for the overseas animation services). They give Tom & Jerry the tip-top treatment but not Looney Tunes! If anything, they should make some more "Looney Tunes" direct-to-video movies, but not done as a single 70-minute story. Do it as several five-to-ten -minute segments that can be linked together by bridging material, all new of course, not unlike Disney's 1940s "package" animated features (particularly "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time") or "Muppet Classic Theater." Maybe give each movie a theme, like do one that spoofs fairy tales the classic Looney Tunes shorts haven't parodied yet, or do one that spoofs classic or popular Warner Bros. movies (they could probably whip up nice ten-minute takes on "The Wizard of Oz" and "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" featuring the Looney Tunes characters.)

Just my two cents. Warner Bros. Animation really needs some sense knocked into them on how to do the Looney Tunes right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

They can really use the brand in moderation, It is a bit overwhelming to see a new show produced and even then they can surely step up their game when it comes to exposure ever since Duck Dodgers a LT show really hasn't really been well recognized.

5. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

It seems like the Looney Tunes is a victim of executive meddling that doesn't allow it to flourish in modern day due to corporate synergy and lack of trust. Case in point:

1. Space Jam- It was made just to promote shoes and build on the momentum of those NBA crossover commercials, hence why it's story was weak, the characters were flat caricatures, and the humor was stale. The character development is non existent. There's also that issue of how Noel Blanc originally auditioned to voice his father's characters while Joe Alaskey was set to reprise his roles, but the characters ended up voiced by different actors.

2. Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries- It's thought of as wasted potential due to episodes from season 2 and beyond just focusing on Sylvester and Tweety's antics, downplaying and outright removing the mystery elements, and not doing a good job with character development.

3. Baby Looney Tunes- The show might've fared better in the late 1980s/early 1990s, but not in the early 2000s when the kiddification craze was done.

4. Tiny Toon Adventures- It's generally well received, but it's gotten criticism for not allowing its large cast to shine. Also, Elmyra

5. Duck Dodgers- It's one of the better received modern shows, but it went through seasonal rot by being renewed for season 3, and completely undoing Daffy's character development.

6. Back In Action- It was better received than Space Jam, but not by much, and it's box office failure caused Cartoon Network to stop airing classic shorts for over half a decade. Joe Dante originally wanted the film to tribute Chuck Jones, but couldn't get his way.

7. Loonatics Unleashed- I admittedly find it underrated, but it still gets criticism for being too dark and bleak, and the characters are just a bunch of traits barely stitched together , weakening it's storytelling potential

8. Tweety's High Flying Adventure & Bah Hum Duck! A Looney Tunes Christmas- Mixed reception, with people thinking the characters aren't complex and three dimensional to hold a 60-80 minute story

9. The Looney Tunes Show- It was originally meant to be in a three shorts format like Animaniacs, but the higher ups weren't impressed and asked for 22 minute stories. This resulted in a much slower, often seen as boring, pace with controversial changes to the characters, like making Daffy dumber and meaner and Bugs much more cynical, with people thinking Lola traded one extreme personality for another.

10. Looney Tunes Rabbit Run- It's the first movie in almost a decade, but it still has the same accusations of the other DVD movies

11. Wabbit- It's seen as a return to form, but it's criticized for character designs and humor being either safer or stupider or repetitive . It's scheduling is worse than Duck Dodgers and LooneyTunes Show's episodes being delayed

It makes me wonder if Looney Tunes is worth reviving if every project will be divisive in some way. Granted, everything from every franchise has both a good amount of fans and detractors, but it seem as if everyone outside of this site wants to bash each project for not being the same in spirit to the classic shorts

6. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The original shorts were great, but I think Warner Bros should stop reviving Looney Tunes. I honestly don't like any comedy cartoon that Warner Bros made in the last 30 years. (No, not even Animaniacs. Definitely not Animaniacs)

Paul Rudish' Mickey Mouse is awesome, though.

7. Clamity Jane

Clamity Jane New Member

I actually agree. The animation was amazing and the music was often very good, but the characters could get annoying and the constant parody was repetitive and kind of lazy IMO. Brain was cool, though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

I thought I was the only one that thought Animaniacs was obnoxious and too 'nudge nudge, meta joke, laugh now' non-stop.

Wabbit I think has some cool ideas, what with reusing the classic format without just remaking already perfected cartoons and even trying it's own style here and there or referring to less contemporary mythos (e.g. bringing back retro Porky and Daffy from the 30s/40s), but the recurring complaint does tend to be it's still relying on a formula and not changing things up too much. The second season is showing potential with non-Bugs episodes and formulas, but it's taking so damn long for it to air.

• Like Like x 1