1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney Tunes: Title Goofs, Altered endings, Dubbed Versions, etc. discussion

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Dreth, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Dreth

Dreth Member

That's true for the two shorts. (Only for the EU Dubbed Versions) I'm not sure if Good Night Elmer has its dubbed ending card for the USA Dubbed version, or if it keeps the original ending.

2. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

Probably they re-used the music from Slick Hare, 1947 from the scene, when the waiter gives a steak.

3. NewBogus :)

Sorry for the Double Post, but:
    For unknown some undubbed shorts like "Rhapsody in Rivets, 1941", "Double Chaser, 1942" were aired with Turner Dubbed 1995 ending credits (despite the no dialogues used in those shorts).

4. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Those 1997/1998 prints were all made for VHS releases. I have all of them except the Porky & Daffy one which is ultra rare.

Something I noticed though is when I saw Kit for Cat on TV and also on the Elmer Fudd VHS, it was the same transfer as in the GC1 with better color correction/noise reduction, but it had the original end card and not the Blue Ribbon one. They may have put the High Diving Hare one though.

[​IMG]

5. NewBogus :)

@Cool_Cat, Yes I saw it via VHS (Król Komedii in Polish), including also "Wideo Wabbit" censored. The better fact is, that the "Wideo Wabbit" was aired with new dubbing on TV Puls 2 (which was performed for Hollywood Caricatures and Parodies in 2007, but for not good sales in Europe, this release was missing).

6. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Wideo Wabbit was also censored in my VHS and on TV when I saw it with the recent dub. They also re adapted the whole thing in the translation, so the dialogue wasn't jumpy like on the English track.

I think that's the stupidest official censorship I've ever seen. Besides that one though, on VHS they didn't censor anything else.

Speaking of pre 48 shorts, the dubbed versions also exist without the altered card and cuts. These ones were aired on Boomerang UK (and possibily Nordic) until a while ago, they also have the a.a.p. logo and they look identical to the dubbed versions.

The shorts which were cut (at least on the PAL masters, because I Taw a Putty Tat on DVD is the 1995 print with the intro/end card from Bugs Bunny Super Stars) are: Aviation Vacation, Believe it or Else, Confederate Honey, September in the Rain and I Taw a Putty Tat.

I've never seen the dubbed version of The Major Lied Til Dawn but I guess that's censored too.

7. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I forgot, if my screenshots from that Swiss channel are in HD and with black bars is because they come from the HD feed. They use an amazing upscaler, unlike Turner channels...

8. NewBogus :)

I have no idea, how about "Lights Fantastic" in Europe. Because US Turner prints misses the scene with Chinese mans reading a billboard in Chinese and the scene with Egyptian Cigarettes + Naked Girl at the end of the cartoon, like here:

On TV Puls 2 both scenes (when they aired it with DVD Print) were intact.

EDIT: The mention about Egyptian Cigarettes in Turner 1995 print for European TV's was intact (I forgot to check the audio), but still I have no idea about Chinese parody and the naked girl.

#48 NewBogus :), Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  9. Dreth

Dreth Member

Wait, they have a DVD Dubbed print of Lights Fantastic?
    I think that, Detouring America, and Fresh hare were the only 1995 dubbed prints to have been uncut?
    Have they aired the dubbed version of Detouring America (cut or not) on TV, or does that only exist on the DVD print.

10. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Actually, They've aired Detouring America many times censored on "The Acme Hour" in the early 2000's, here's the version that aired on CN at the time from here, it's not, however, dubbed. It's the a.a.p version:

This is the 1995, Turner Dubbed, DVD Version that I had uploaded on Dailymotion:

EDIT: When I looked at past airings of Detouring America from The Acme Hour, it says "Dubbed Version," but in the first video, it's the a.a.p version with the CN logo. They probably did air Detouring America 1995 Turner Dubbed Version on CN at the time.

#50 DVDLooney, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  11. NewBogus :)

No, I thought that @Cool_Cat will answer about European censorship of Lights Fantastic, but I forgot about, that Rai 2 Italy never aired "Lights Fantastic".
    In Poland TV Puls 2 "Detouring America" was aired uncut and uncensored.

12. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I've never seen Lights Fantastic in Italian but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. According to the dubbing studio page they dubbed every single short between 1996 and 2000.

13. NewBogus :)

@Cool_Cat, Okay. 2x2 didn't air Lights Fantastic, so I can't confirm it.
    I remember, that the EU Dubbed print of this cartoon had MWRA 1938-1941 ending music cue (on TV Puls 2 replaced by MWRA 1941-1955 from DVD GC6, due probably to the censorship - but I can't confirm it, because I've only seen an Turner print when I was young, in 1998).

UPDATE:

Here's the Conga moment from "Lights Fantastic, 1942" recorded from other Boomerang feed (with Laserdisc print, not Turner Dubbed print in my opinion), because the naked girl scene is intact.

#53 NewBogus :), Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  14. Dreth

Dreth Member

http://vk.com/video84313374_153321816 I think this may be the only Laserdisc print of Land of the Midnight Fun available (With a Russian Voiceover [Lectored, not dubbed]).
    The other prints I've seen are the Cartoon Network AAP version, and the Turner Dubbed Version (for DVD) print.

Unrelated: 2X2 aired A-lad in bagdad uncut.

#54 Dreth, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  15. NewBogus :)

TV Puls in 2011 aired uncut an "Elmer's Candid Camera", 1940 with Turner 1995 print:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Well, at least TV Puls provides more variety with MM/LT Cartoons. I live in the U.S, so we barely see any different pre-1948 WB Cartoons than the ones that are overplayed on U.S Boomerang. I must say that this is the only time I've ever seen a WB Cartoon that aired on TV Puls in American English. I tried to see if there was anymore WB Cartoons in American English that have Dubbed Endings that played on TV Puls, so far, all I see are these http://chomikuj.pl/izebel/Filmy/Animowane/Seriale/Z/Zwariowane Melodie

#56 DVDLooney, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  17. NewBogus :)

@DVDLooney: Because TV Puls is Polish DVB Channel, and his sister channel TV Puls 2 also airs LT/MM cartoons (with TV Puls 2 logo I added via dailymotion: Circus Today, Believe it or Else, Ceiling Hero).

18. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Oh. TV Puls 2 was the one I meant to say. lol.

19. NewBogus :)

Soon, I'll probably add other pre-1948 shorts which hadn't been released via Turner DVD's from Boomerang CEE/TV Puls 2.

About English dubbings - I replaced Polish dubbings with English ones, which are already availible.

20. Dreth

Dreth Member

Do you think you can upload the European Versions of "My Little Buckeroo", "Cinderella Meets Fella", "Egghead Rides again", "Cross Country detours", and others? I wonder if they use different color borders and or color correction.

Because I've seen Snowman's Land. (The USA dubbed print used the red border while the EU print used the green borders), Dog Daze (USA Dubbed version keeps the ending intact,) with red borders, European Version of Dog Daze is a dubbed version but it uses the 1947-48 ending with the 1941-55 theme playing over it(confirmed on 2x2)