1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 2 is in the works

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Gregatron, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Are there proper, remastered, chronological releases? Still not holding out for the Censored Eleven.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The only release which is in this format is Looney Tunes Super-Stars: Pepe Le Pew, which has his entire filmography on one disc, in order of appearance. But if you're asking about starting with the 1930 cartoons and going chronologically until 1969, no. The potential reasons for why WB didn't pursue this release strategy have been discussed in other threads.

3. Gregatron

Gregatron Member

4. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Cecil's day has come!!!

5. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

It doesn't say, and it's hard to tell from that image, but it looks like it might be a regular Blu-ray snapcase with a slipsleeve, instead of a digibook like Volume One was. I really hope Warner doesn't change the packaging like they did with the later volumes of Clone Wars.

6. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I'm lazy, it sounds like issue is super-complicated. Thanks though :p.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

It's not that complicated. The short version is looooooong stretches of black and white Bosko, Buddy and Beans that would sell to maybe a couple of thousand hardcore toon collectors, tops.

8. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Chronological sets just might work if they started in the late 40's, when most of the star characters have debuted. Less marketable years like the 1930-1935 period Shawn referred to could be done as MOD via the Warner Archive.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Got my Blu-ray copy today. As far as I'm concerned, it was worth buying for two reasons: The ten new-to-DVD shorts as part of the main program, and eight Tex Avery MGM bonus cartoons I don't have on DVD. I don't believe any of the Avery shorts were restored, but even if they weren't, they look pretty respectable, far better than most of the bonus cartoons on Mouse Chronicles.

The Constantine Nasr audio commentaries were new, correct? What a whirlwind of information.

The Greg Ford commentary on "The High and the Flighty" was listed in the booklet as having pre-score music included but I listened to the commentary and it was just Ford, no unused vintage recordings like there were for "Show Biz Bugs".

10. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

This is my own opinion, I think WB would sell them a bit better (maybe) if they released them in yearly groups -- something like Three Stooges and Popeye. An example set would be 1948-1949 (or 1948-1950). Putting them in chronological order. Too many random release types - Golden Collection, Spotlight, which is duplicates of random ones found on the Golden Collections - there's also ones for select characters (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc), that again you find on these other releases - it's too much to me. Do it chronologically, you'll have me as a fan.

11. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Sadly, my Walmart doesn't have the Bluray, only the bare-bones DVD. :( I was hoping to put it on layaway - with the newly restored cartoons and all those Tex Avery MGM shorts, I don't think I can hold off until Christmas on this one.

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Anyone think they'd ever do a complete chronological set? It would be a 40 disc series (since I see they are putting 25 shorts on a disc here; and there were exactly 1000 shorts from Sinkin in the Bathtub to Injun Trouble. Bonus discs could have everything after that).
    Then, everything would be covered, and people could pick out whichever volumes they want, especially those who know when particular films they're looking for were released.