1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SpongeJosh, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Yeah they weren't going for chronology on these releases, I think we all knew that.

2. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I'm glad to see One Froggy Evening, The Three Little Bops, A to Zzzzzz, and Boyhood Daze on here. They're four of my favorites.

3. AnimatedSnow47

AnimatedSnow47 Active Member

As I have no interest in the collector's extras, I pre-ordered the regular Blu-Ray, which is surprisingly a better price than the original post-MSRP-discount of the original Golden Collections. I figured that they would be this way (not chronological, that is), but between the anticipated spectacular picture quality, the new-to-DVD shorts, the awesome packaging and more, I'll be buying. But, of course, there's also that by buying this one, I'll be doing my part to try to get a Vol. 2 (and more!) released in the future. Hopefully, the Platinum Collection will be completed!

4. Bat-Fan Beyond

According to Amazon.com

Can anyone confirm that this actually contains every short featuring Marvin the Martian, Tasmanian Devil, Witch Hazel, Marc Anthony and Ralph Phillips?

If so, well, I guess there are at least some characters that are getting the complete collection treatment. I can almost accept having to break up the collection with random shorts of popular characters, like Bugs, Daffy, etc., as long as the rarer odd character shorts, like Marvin The Martian and Ralph Phillips, are collected together.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yes on all the above, except Marc Antony. He was also in "Cat Feud" and "Go Fly a Kit" (where he played a villain).

6. Bat-Fan Beyond

Cool. Thanks. I'm definitely going to be picking this collection up, but it may not be until after the Christmas holiday, since between now and then I have a lot of Blu-rays on my list I aim to get. Hopefully by then we'll get word on the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection - Volume Two. There's a ton of early Bugs and Daffy shorts I need to have in this format.

7. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

I think this sets a pretty cool precedent for the Platinum Collections. I thought the straight character and director discs of the Golden Collections could get a might monontonous. I mean, I love Bob Clampett, but when you watch 15 of his cartoons in a sitting it all sorta blends together. I like the idea of these sets have an emphasis that doesn't overwhelm the entire set list.

And, of course, they've got to spread out the classics and well-known characters so that they don't end up with a set that's solely curiosities (some of the early '30s and '60s cartoons),

BTW- Look at this set listing with "fresh eyes." At first I just snooped around it wondering what shorts hadn't been released before - ah, they've got a bunch of Marvin and Witch Hazel, ect. ect. - anyway, just look at the listing itself. Just the cartoons. This is a great set! They've got a little bit of everything, well balanced and with a lot of classics!

8. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Digibook packaging, pretty good selection of shorts and apparently they're looking better than ever as hoped and expected, and it comes out right after my birthday. I was already getting this and now the anticipation is really starting to get to me.

9. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Anyone notice the Limited Edition version on Amazon. When I checked about an hour ago Amazon had it marked down to about $56 USD, which is about 4 dollars less than the regular price for the regualr collection. But, apparently the Limited Editions are numbered and come with a framed Litho and a few other goodies.

10. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Hmmm, I was thinking... if this release does well and it really becomes the true successor to the Golden Collections, a complete set of every Looney Tune ever, then it will run up against the same problem its predecessor had: burning through the most mainstream shorts at first and leaning too hard towards the obscure in later volumes, killing the base of casual buyers.

Then I thought about the format of this Platinum Collection: two discs of shorts and an extras disc. I think it would be a great idea to get through the most obscure shorts on that extras disc. Think about it: along with featurettes you could have something like "Bosko: The First Looney Tune" or "Late '60s Tunes" or "Daffy vs. Speedy" or "The Early Looney Tunes" - all containing 10 to 15 shorts. It would further the goal of getting all the cartoons released and not impede the enjoyment of the casual fan who doesn't give a darn about Bosko and the like.

11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I noticed that on Thursday, with me pre-ordering it as soon as I found out about it.

12. AnimatedSnow47

AnimatedSnow47 Active Member

Contents of Disc 3, including 10+ Bonus Cartoons, revealed:

13. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Wow! Looks like I wasn't far off in my idea about loading up the extras disc with bonus cartoons (and I still hold that it would be a great way to unload all those Bosko,Speedy/Daffy, and otherwise obscure and little-loved cartoons for the purposes of getting everything out there).

14. DuckTwacy

DuckTwacy French phone.

Wait... Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension? That's the 3-D cartoon that was shown at the Warner Bros. stores and was never released in any other form! :eek:

To be perfectly honest, my sole reason for now getting the set is to finally see that one cartoon, as I've never seen it before. (Okay, not the only reason, but it's certainly one of the bigger reasons.)

15. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

I recall seeing it at Warner Bros. Movie World in Australia, best 3D I've ever seen, I'd say. Funny short, too.

Gee, the Limited Edition sure is tempting... it'd make a good start to my Blu-Ray collection when I eventually submit to that format's forces.

16. Bugzz

Bugzz Member

Looks fantastic. Seems I gonna like it

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

18. Gregatron

Gregatron Member

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/15972

For those of you not getting the Platinum Collection, Looney Tunes are getting a Blu-ray version of the spotlight collection. It will be in stores Jan. 10, 2012.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Jerry Beck got his hands on the set. Thankfully, all the post-53 titles will be in Academy ratio like how they aired on TV. No widescreen cropping. So four titles will be improvements over the Super-Stars releases.

20. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Interesting to see someone give this a bad review on Amazon because they didn't put all 1,004 cartoons on one set in chronological order. Not asking for much, are we? :)

This sounds pretty cool to me and I think I'll pick it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.