1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SpongeJosh, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

In case you haven't checked, the old Looney Tunes Golden Collections DVD's contain a "boatload" of black and white "classic" Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies on quite a few discs.

2. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Like I told you, if they wanted to release a whole DVD of them, it's their choice. Do they have to? No, they don't.

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, the thing is this. If WHV is still going to be releasing the Essential colelctions of the well known characters like Bugs, Daffy (upcoming), and Porky and so on, then the Platinum Collections could be warranted for the B&W content in chronological order for completists.

I don't see this as a bad idea at all. Besides, the Porky and Daffy sets would be out in only one more set anyway.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Like others have said, I figure this is going to be a quintessential set. The stuff that everyone remembers, the milestones and the pinnacles. I doubt there will be much Buddy, honestly.

5. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I doubt the Essential Collections will continue beyond the upcoming Daffy one. I think the Essential Daffy Duck collection is just to accompany the previously released Essential Bugs Bunny Collection -- It's a fan service, because for some, you can't just have Bugs without Daffy, can you? -- Plus, it allows WB to prophet one last time on previously released material before beginning their next phase of releases with The Looney Tunes Platinum Collections.

So, basically, I don't think we'll see an Essential Porky Pig Collection. As much as I love Porky, with all due respect, he's unfortunately just not as popular as Bugs or Daffy.

But then, depending on how these Platinum Collections are formatted, I expect (hope) to eventually see all the Porky shorts, as well as Bugs, Daffy, and others (including the B&W stuff), released in what would be a true "essential" collection -- Actually, a "definitive" collection!

6. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd wash my hands of Warner and their post-Golden Collection LT releases if this was all repeats. That's virtually all they've done with the franchise since 2008.

1080p is not enough to justify paying for the umpteenth release the same Chuck Jones classics (as classic as they are) and support a release that cost Warner virtually nothing to put together.

7. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

1080p and nixing the high contrast, line flickering, DVNR, double frame garbage would be enough for me.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

We don't know anything about this Looney Tunes release, other than it will be Looney Tunes in Blu-ray. Can't you wait until SDCC before trashing this release that we know nothing about?
    Why is WB still being criticized for DVNR or interlacing? They haven't used either in the Looney Tunes line since Golden Collection Vol. 2. At least, not to my knowledge.

9. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

Oh, well did I show my ignorance. All I own are vol.1 and 2 :sweat:

10. Spike Mcdougal

Spike Mcdougal The Legendary Outlaw

Okay can I PLEASE finally get an explanation on what this is? I have watched Volume 2 from start to finish several times and I have never seen anything wrong with the picture except for some VERY NOTICEABLE white lines on Have You Got Any Castles

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Sure. Here are some screenshots I took:

From Gorilla My Dreams:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DVNR. In the first two shots, notice how the gorilla's arm has a smear on it. That's not from the original masters. In the second two shots, notice that the bottom half of Bugs's vine and the top of Bugs's ears look erased. Again, that's due to the DVNR thinking there's grain in that part of the image and digitally erasing it, not realizing it's erasing the image itself.

From Book Revue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some interlacing. This causes the image to be "doubled" in certain frames when you're trying to take a screenshot. It's not -as- noticeable in motion, but doesn't look as clean as progressive scan.

From A Corny Concerto:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More interlacing. This practice is especially bad on Clampett shorts because of how much and how dramatically the characters moved in his cartoons.

From I Love to Singa:
    [​IMG]
    Interlacing again. Not as bad as the two Clampett shorts, because the movement here is more even-keeled, but still noticeable.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Wow! Very cool info there, Dr. Daedalus. I never quite knew what any of that was or what caused it. Thanks, I really appreciate you posting that.

I noticed some of that interlacing going on with a few of the Marvel DVD's like Hulk vs. and Wolverine and The X-Men.

13. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Copied & pasted my thoughts on this release from GAC:
    Is this news going to be part of TZ's ComicCon coverage, though? I don't want to step on anybody's toes.

If nothing else, I've added the title to the DVD Aficionado database.

15. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

^Did anyone expect it not to be mostly repeats? If this is the successor to the Golden Collections then this is starting over: square one. They want their best foot forward and most, almost all, of the most memorable cartoons have been released already. The fact that there are, what? 6 new cartoons and 4 that were from those first Super-Star discs and were matted (no doubt un-cropped like purists want) shows that this isn't just a simple dump of previously released cartoons on a new format (and not all have been announced yet so we may very well get more).

This is the future of trying to get every Looney Tune restored and on our shelves, and it's certainly much better news than anything in years.

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

For those interested, and because I apparently have nothing better to do with my time, here's a list of where you can find all the double-dipped cartoons on this Platinum set:

* Hare Tonic: Golden Collection Vol. 3
    * Baseball Bugs: Vol. 1
    * Buccaneer Bunny: Vol. 5
    * The Old Grey Hare: Vol. 5
    * Rabbit Hood: Vol. 4
    * 8 Ball Bunny: Vol. 4
    * Rabbit of Seville: Vol. 1
    * What's Opera, Doc?: Vol. 2
    * The Great Piggy Bank Robbery: Vol. 2
    * A Pest in the House: Vol. 5
    * The Scarlet Pumpernickel: Vol. 1
    * Duck Amuck: Vol. 1
    * Robin Hood Daffy: Vol. 3
    * Baby Bottleneck: Vol. 2
    * Kitty Kornered: Vol. 2
    * Scaredy Cat: Vol. 1
    * Porky Chops: Vol. 1
    * Old Glory: Vol. 2
    * A Tale of Two Kitties: Vol. 5
    * Tweetie Pie: Vol. 2
    * Fast and Furry-Ous: Vol. 1
    * Beep, Beep: Vol. 2
    * For Scent-Imental Reasons: Vol. 1
    * Speedy Gonzales: Vol. 1
    * One Froggy Evening: Vol. 2
    * The Three Little Bops: Vol. 2
    * I Love to Singa: Vol. 2
    * Katnip Kollege: Vol. 2
    * The Dover Boys: Vol. 2
    * Chow Hound: Vol. 6
    * Feed the Kitty: Vol. 1
    * Duck Dodgers in the 24th 1/2 Century: Vol. 1
    * Mad as a Mars Hare: Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire
    * Devil May Hare: Vol. 1
    * Bedevilled Rabbit: Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire
    * Ducking the Devil: Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl
    * Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare: Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire
    * Bewitched Bunny: Vol. 5
    * Broom-Stick Bunny: Vol. 2

New to Looney Tunes compilations:
    * Bill of Hare
    * Door, The
    * From A to Z-Z-Z-Z (though it was included, restored, as part of "Academy Awards Animation Collection: 15 Winners, 26 Nominees")
    * Hare-way to the Stars (though it was included in "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie", minus the title card. It was also included in "Saturday Morning Cartoons The 70s Vol. 2")
    * The Hasty Hare (though it was an unrestored bonus cartoon on "The Hasty Heart")
    * Hell Bent For Election (though it was included, probably unrestored, in various public domain DVDs)
    * A Hitch in Time
    * Lovelorn Leghorn (though it was an unrestored bonus cartoon on "I'll See You in My Dreams")

So the least amount of double dips from GC vol. 6, not surprisingly.

17. Bat-Fan Beyond

I'm not so disappointed with the fact that most of these shorts have already been released in other collections -- I never bought those Golden Collections anyway, so these won't be double-dips for me -- but what I don't like about this collection is that it doesn't seem to have any kind of order or structure to it. It seems like it's just made up of random shorts that are thrown together for no apparent reason. It's not in sequential order from any particular starting point based on the original release dates of the shorts; It's not a character-oriented collection spotlighting Bugs or Daffy or Porky, etc.; And it doesn't seem to even be a best of Looney Tunes collection, because, despite some great classics included, and although it's all a matter of opinion, I just think there are too many other shorts missing that are way better than some of those that are on here.

I just don't understand why they didn't do for this what they are doing for the Tom and Jerry blu-ray collections. Part of the reason why I never bought those Looney Tunes Golden Collections was because of the way they were organized, and now this seems no different, except it's in HD. :sad:

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

In fairness, Tom & Jerry only has 114 shorts (HB era, I mean), so it's not as hard to do them in sequential order for a box set. Looney Tunes has almost ten times that.

There are various schools of thought on how these sets should be, when it comes to their content. Some would love character-specific sets, because that way it's easy to remember which set to take off the shelf to re-watch. Some do like the hodge podge style seen in this set, because their reasoning is it prevents things from getting too monotonous and it feels more like how you'd watch them on TV. Both are valid viewpoints.

19. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

This is one of my top 5 LT/MM toons of all time. I think it was actually on one of the GC's, but in the one of the films. It might have been vols 5 or 6.

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

BTW, the rest of the cartoons have been announced via Amazon:
    * Haredevil Hare
    * A Witch's Tangled Hare (new to these compilations)
    * A-Haunting We Will Go
    * Kiss Me Cat
    * Feline Frame-Up (new to these compilations)
    * Boyhood Daze

Well, part of the cartoon is worked into the plot of "The Adventures of the Road Runner" pilot on GC Vol. 2, but IIRC it's not the whole thing, and of course it doesn't include the title card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.